• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Greyhound

Tom Sampson

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/07/2015
I was writing another post today and was remembering a good friend of my dad's Mr Bill Flowers of Adena Ohio. Mr Flowers had a 24 HP Greyhound from the Banting machine company of Toledo Ohio , dad and I would always see him at the Stumptown engine show. It was back in the 80's when we all would hang out. I was wondering what ever happened to the engine after Mr Flowers passed away. I haven't made it to Stumptown in many years but the last time I was there I didn't see the engine.
Thanks
Tom

Jeff Smith

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/05/2018
Tom,

I asked my dad about that engine just the other day and he said that he thinks Bill's daughter still has it.

Jeff Smith

Larry Mix

Registered
There was a 24hp Greyhound that was shown at Jim Whitbey's show near Fort Wayne, Indiana in the 1950's and 1960's. It was a 24hp engine number 21111, it is now owned by Craig Detwiler of Goshen, Indiana. This might be the same engine, as there aren't to many Greyhound engines around.

David

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/27/2019
Speaking of Jim Whitbey and the Fort Wayne show, whatever happened to his Rumely that he called "Susie Q."

Tom Sampson

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/07/2015
Jeff Smith said:
Tom,

I asked my dad about that engine just the other day and he said that he thinks Bill's daughter still has it.

Jeff Smith
Thanks for the info Jeff.
I'll have to do some digging.
I'm not sure what the sn of the engine was I'll have to see if My dad might have some info on it.
Tom

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
Hey guys, I'm not at all a Greyhound sort of guy, but it looks like a pretty solid engine to me. Dave Weimer sent me this photo from the Chickentown show.:cool:
Gary;)

KRHough

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/15/2014
The Rumely "Susie Q" is owned by the Saunders family of Addison, MI. I was visiting with them with Troy Pawson a few years back and saw it in the barn.

KR

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
Chuck Sindelar said:
Where is the Chickentown Show, somewhere in MT?
chuck
Chuck,
Montanan's are known for their sheep:rolleyes: ... Not their chickens:eek: Chickentown is way, way east of me and way east of you, but I can't tell you exactly where.
Gary;)

Last edited:

Gary A. Craig

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/12/2015
Hello Gary!

The Chikentown Show is near Somerset Pa. It is also near
The New Centerville Show. I have been There.
Nice show!
Gary!

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
Gary A. Craig said:
Hello Gary!

The Chikentown Show is near Somerset Pa. It is also near
The New Centerville Show. I have been There.
Nice show!
Gary!
Gary,
Thanks for that information. I knew it was somewhere around there.
Gary;)

Jeff Smith

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/05/2018
20 Reeves Highwheeler said:
Hey guys, I'm not at all a Greyhound sort of guy, but it looks like a pretty solid engine to me. Dave Weimer sent me this photo from the Chickentown show.:cool:
Gary;)

Gary,

If this is the engine that I think it is, I didn't buy it (somewhere around 1990) because I thought that $6,500.00 was tooooooooo much. But then again, I was only in college and didn't have much $$$$.:D

Jeff Smith

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
Jeff Smith said:
Gary,

If this is the engine that I think it is, I didn't buy it (somewhere around 1990) because I thought that $6,500.00 was tooooooooo much. But then again, I was only in college and didn't have much $$$$.:D

Jeff Smith
Jeff,
It only gets worse with age. I turned down a butt strap Port Huron under steam for $1000 in 1958...Because that was too darn much "blue sky" for that engine.
gary