• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Had to have it... Onan 706 JB

JohnnyC

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/18/2020
Well I dont need it now lol.. they are not the same either but thanks for the offer.. I still have the one from my parts j.b., the control box mount
Well, I looked anyway and sure enough I threw away the remains of the control box mounting bracket after I finished my custom bracket made form parts of the old bracket.

JohnnyC
New Jersey

YellowLister

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
o9/30/2019
It does look good.. but missing charge meter usually means someone screwed with the wiring..

These suckers are heavier than a j.b.. so the shopping cart wheels gotta go..

He mentions it was started ? Not sure if that was 20 years ago or last year.. that will effect price of course..

Not ran in 20 years, if the control box is clean and not butchered I'd offer 400.. look for a honda 2000 and see what local prices are and offer that minus 150 250 if it has not ran in 20 years.. will need a fuel pump for sure.. carb cleaned,. carb kit is 10 on Amazon I just ordered 2..

Check for stuck brushes, stuck valves etc.. good casters should be under 100 or used for 40 maybe if you can find them..

Ray Lynch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
08/12/2019
This one didn’t suffer a fall .... :D
Here’s the link

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/56725566

Definitely the hours have NOT been documented
Looks like revolving armature model. Examine the exhaust manifold and its connections closely for cracks as there doesn't appear to be any flexibility with the muffler set up.
No run=scrap value $$, unless you can part it out and recoup some money. If it runs then you can negotiate for what it's worth to you.
Ray

YellowLister

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
o9/30/2019
Mounted the 706 to my trailer today.. took me 2 hours from start to finish working on the sun really slows me down..

Going to get it running right and load test it before I do anything else.. need to hook up a temporary muffler too..

The generator end feet are on top of the trailer crossbeam and the end of the 2x4 is sitting on the crossbeam I welded on so the plywood is not carrying the weight of the j.b. good tounge weight too..

Not sure which fuel tank I'll use or if I'll put it on the front or back.. will do so testing with 2 full 5 gallon gas cans to see what the extra weight does. I think I have 2 10 gallon onan fuel tanks but need to test fit them

Attachments

geezer88

Registered
Not sure which fuel tank I'll use or if I'll put it on the front or back..
For stability in towing any trailer, you want at least 10% of weight on the tongue. Those scary trailers you see trying to wag the tow vehicle all have insufficient tongue weight.

Nice install, by the way.

tom

YellowLister

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
o9/30/2019
For stability in towing any trailer, you want at least 10% of weight on the tongue. Those scary trailers you see trying to wag the tow vehicle all have insufficient tongue weight.

Nice install, by the way.

tom
Thanks.. I have absolutely no intention of towing this on the road, well unless it was under a few miles.. I would load it on my real trailer if I needed to transport it.. dont trust those old tires or bearings..

I've experienced the wag before when I was 19 or so.. first and last time I did.. :eek:

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Agreed on tongue weight. It'd be cool to put the fuel tanks such that they are 10% ahead of the axle, so empty or full, the tongue weight is always good.

Of course the tow vehicle makes a difference too. I once towed a trailer with negative tongue weight. I put a 3,000# engine in the back of a two axle Uhaul trailer. It *barely* fit through the back door, and I couldn't really get it in any further than just inside. But it was behind a 15,000# motorhome, and had no discernable effect at all... :brows:

Keith

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Yes I do enjoy his videos, and Detroits are indeed my favorite! :D This engine was an NH Cummins though. It was a long time ago, and now I wish I hadn't ended up selling it...

YellowLister

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
o9/30/2019
I forgot I had this big at least 25 gallon onan fuel tank.. I think it came with the factory enclosure 5.0 cck I have that I literally pulled out of a field in Santa Barbra.. and I found the Nelson muffler that came with the 706 jb with the flex pipe.

I also have this old outlet panel with old style breakers that I might use but will go through it and get new fuses or maybe retro fit new style fuse.. not sure yet..

I need to pick up some 1x1 square steel for the enclosure but first want to make it run right before I spend more money on..

I also have 2 10 gallon onan tanks I could run in series that might fit the trailer better.. decisions decisions...

What do you guys think?

Attachments

YellowLister

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
o9/30/2019
According to this fuel tank calculator my small tank is 9.5 gallons.. 18 x11x11 large is 26 x16x16 and is 27.5 gallons..

The big tank needs a good cleaning and probably a new pickup tube

The smaller one looks new inside.. I've never used ither one.. so should probably test them for leaks with air pressure.

The smaller one fits much better.. no way the other identical smaller tank I have will fit unless I mount it on the very rear of the trailer.

The smaller tank pictured came with a 10.0 cckb that I got from a YMCA in yucaipa California.. that was mounted to a concrete wall in a closet with the cckb if I remember right.. sold the cckb shortly after running it the first time and waking the dead.. didn't want a bunch of angry zombies knocking down my door (neighbors) so I sold it

Attachments

Augie1

Registered
I will be selling my 7.6 soon as I have installed a 12.6 KW JC . It is in nice shape with a stand a gas tank . Runs and generates well. I wouldn’t sell it for less than $900.00.

len k

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/12/2018
As far as rust , I've cleaned gas jugs out with Tide laundry detergent and water, shake rattle and rool it around then flush WELL with hose of running water. Put it in hot sun to bake dry for day or 2. Then just use large filter on gas line to catch any left over rust

Just today I measured up some expired propane tanks that I picked up in past , to use under a stand for my 7NHM. I figure on welding up some fittings to it and gasoline tank filler neck from a Chevy.

Tank # 1 = 14.4" dia x 36" length (without guard around valve)
calculated volume is 22.7 gal ......
d

Tank # 2 = 11.25 "dia x 39" length (without guard around valve)
calculated volumne is 15.9 gallons.

I figure on putting large one under gen, hiding smaller one in bushes nearby, for cosmetics

YellowLister

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
o9/30/2019
I will be selling my 7.6 soon as I have installed a 12.6 KW JC . It is in nice shape with a stand a gas tank . Runs and generates well. I wouldn’t sell it for less than $900.00.
To bad your not closer.. would you pallet it up and ship it at my expense? Pics?

Nevermind.. saw your pics from 2016.. I'd be interested...

zuhnc

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
The mounts will last longer with the required large metal washers between the mount and the 2x4. Make sure you have about 1/16" clearance between the top rubber snubber washers and the steel washer. Steel washer should not slip over the tube going through the mounts. Service manual has complete documentation on how the mounting components are arranged. Very nice trailer and mount. A stabilizing jack on the back will prevent suprises. zuhnc

YellowLister

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
o9/30/2019
The mounts will last longer with the required large metal washers between the mount and the 2x4. Make sure you have about 1/16" clearance between the top rubber snubber washers and the steel washer. Steel washer should not slip over the tube going through the mounts. Service manual has complete documentation on how the mounting components are arranged. Very nice trailer and mount. A stabilizing jack on the back will prevent suprises. zuhnc

I know I have all that.. but its currently attached to my parts j.b.. I have to steal the exhaust elbow from it so will probably take the washers and top rubber peices off at the same time.. I also have a Jack for the rear of the trailer.. after mounting the 9.5 gallon fuel tank it has plenty of tounge weight so unless I'm careless should be no tippage..

YellowLister

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
o9/30/2019
Here is a video of the 7.6 j.b running.

https://youtu.be/4d3pKzfMYME

Welded on a pipe to the muffler and clamped it to.the exhaust manifold. Just temporary and the muffler is about 3 pounds.

Tomorrow I'll hook up a outlet box and load it up with some heaters and see how it goes, and also fine tune the governor and voltage.

YellowLister

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
o9/30/2019
Load test to 30 amps.. overcharging the battery again.. need to fix that before it cooks my battery.

Those heaters really heat up a area..

https://youtu.be/Z0dsqz_2Z4Q

Please excuse my crappy filming skills..

Last edited: