• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Harris 45hp

George Best

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/28/2019
This is a 45hp Harris engine from a Harris combine. I don't know if any Harris engines were sold separate from a combine.
This is how the engine looked when I got it.
It does have an unusual exhaust manifold as normally the vertical stack is centered between two cylinders.

Attachments

George Best

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/28/2019
Here's another view of the engine from several weeks ago when I sat it on a set of Bettendorf trucks to see how it would look and if it would be too high.
I determined it would fit the cart and could actually be set a few inches lower and is an okay height for me to bar start the engine.

Not 100% sure I'll put the engine on the cart, but definitely leaning that way.

Attachments

George Best

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/28/2019
Got the engine in the shop and started disassembly on January 7th.
Engine is really seized up and it was a bit challenging getting the rocker arm assemblies off with it seized up. We also used the hoist to get two of the cylinder heads off that day.

My friend Ross comes over on most Mondays and we work on something in the shop. Any Stakers in the area are welcome to drop by anytime to see how we are progressing.

Attachments

George Best

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/28/2019
Ross couldn't work last Monday so nothing happened other than I've started soaking some of the rocker arm assemblies in diesel to see if they will free up to make disassembly easier.

This past Monday we got cylinders 1 and 2 pulled off the block as well as the heads for cylinders 3 and 4. Cylinder 3 had a quart of water trapped in it! Which surprised me as the two years I've owned this engine it has been in my barn out of the weather. Luckily so far I haven't notice any freeze breaks.

Will be interesting to see how cylinder 3 looks once it is off the engine and without the piston in it. Hopefully it isn't too bad.

Also the crankcase photo shows that this engine sat in water for a long time. Hopefully it will clean up okay.

Next week I hope that we'll get cylinders 3 and 4 off. Also I've been oiling the crankshaft which is still seized hoping it will break free after the remaining cylinders are removed.

Attachments

George Best

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/28/2019
Got all the cylinders off, but number 3 piston is still stuck in the cylinder.
Got 4 of the 5 main bearing caps loose, but the crankshaft still won't turn over.
So it is getting to the point where it is mostly really stuck stuff that needs to come off. Not looking forward to getting flywheel off, but it will need to be removed to disassemble more of the engine.

Attachments

George Best

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/28/2019
No code has to be inserted here.Got the flywheel off today!!!
Drilled a hole in the flywheel key and threaded it for 5/16 bolt and used my slide hammer. Took awhile but the slide hammer did work. Getting the flywheel to turn on the shaft took a 5 foot bar to break it loose, plus we needed to fabricate a puller to get it to slide off the shaft.

Attachments

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019
Any updates George? Don't know how I missed this thread!
Cool/odd engine.

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
My gut feeling is that when you get the timing cover off, you'll find out why it's stuck... hopefully it'll be easy to free up.

This engine is awesome, by the way... just a thrilling old beast that needs to talk to the world again. :D I salute all who include their efforts in it's recovery... :salute: