• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Hart Parr 12-27

Craig A

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015
This tractor was purchased some years ago at the Marhanka Sale in Michigan by Jerry Swedberg. Jerry has agreed to "lend" this great tractor to the Flloyd County Museum in Charles City, Iowa, for a 5 year period.
I am fortunate to have seen this tractor in action at the Rollag, MN, show.

Attachments

Last edited:

Craig A

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015
Hart Parr 12-27 has landed

for a, hopefully, brief stay to resolve some steering issues.
Mark, the new owner of the business, is in the cab.
I, the other guy, will be in his way....... :rotfl: ....... :D

Over the years anything that's needed bucking around here has been done with either a John Deere or Rumely, depending on how stubborn the job is....... :O

In this case the Deere was plenty for the job....... :)

Attachments

MoRo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/15/2019
Re: Hart Parr 12-27 has landed

After two weeks, Mark still hasn't tossed you out on your ear, huh? :O

C here: WHEN is Harry gonna put a NO thanks button here...... :rant:

Craig A

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015

I'm too valuable Monty.......you oughta know that....... :bonk: ....... :p

From the Hart Parr feature year at Rollag....... :D

Tanner Remillard

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/05/2020

Whats with the gears hanging from the chains on the back of the cab? Spares?

Craig A

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015

Those are the worn pinions that were on the tractor when it was purchased at the Marhanka sale....... :eek:

Attachments

Brasherman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019

You could probably shave with them when it was a field tractor!!! :eek:

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018

Craig,

Do you REALLY need another "toy?!?!":D

Beth:wave:

(C here: it's ONLY a pit stop....... ;) )

Lou Buice

Registered

Can you provide the serial number for this tractor? My records indicate that it had to be built in either 1913 or 1914.

Craig A

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015

HEY Louis! :D
I was HOPING you'd check in....... :brows:
I have some pics on the another computer ONE of which is the tag. I'm HOPING yours has a legit tag as I have doubts as to the originality of this one.
I don't think there's a serial number stamped on it.
I hadn't thought to look for a number but if it's anything like the BIG ones it MIGHT be stamped in a crankshaft end?....... :confused:

Craig

Kelly Barnett

Registered

If my memory serves me correctly look on the battery box. The serial number is etched into it. You will have to look pretty good to see it. That is one reason why it is still on the tractor.

JT Buice

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019

It looks like the ported exhaust port is plugged...I wonder why.

Craig A

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015
This is bit of a bump.......but best to keep like stuff in the same place........but this one is more than "like".....it's IT again.
This time at Mark's Machine Shop (formerly MY shop) for some necessary repairs to the steering and some other odds and ends.

Elden DuRand

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
12/22/2017
Craig:

How'd they hold-up in dusty field work? Looks like it has an open crankcase!

Take care - Elden:wave:

Craig A

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015
Great observation Elden....... :brows:

While Swed had the tractor something happened with the rod journal, I don't know exactly what, but it got rebabbitted and the crankcase cover never got put back on. LUCKILY the cover DID arrive WITH the tractor and is now finally back in place. It's a good thing the cover WAS off........there was a broken tooth in the crankshaft gear......probably about 60% of a tooth was missing...... :uhoh:
That too has been fixed.
Here's an interesting tidbit worth speculating about.
In the attached photo you'll see a bevel gear cast integrally with the cam gear.......which serves no purpose........ :uhoh:
SO.......HAD Hart and Parr planned on a vertical sideshaft driven overhead camshaft as on the "Old Reliables" or what?....... :shrug:

Here's a shot of the governor too.......gear driven from front side of the camshaft gear.

An another note.....we DID find a STAMPED number in the front of the tractor frame. I'll make note of the number tomorrow.

Attachments

Craig A

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015
I thought there was another 12-27 thread and there was.....I started it but it didn't show up in a search....... :confused:
Regardless.......in the interest of keeping all the 12-27 stuff in one thread I merged the two....... :wave:

Elden DuRand

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
12/22/2017
Great observation Elden....... :brows:

........................snip.....................

Here's an interesting tidbit worth speculating about.
In the attached photo you'll see a bevel gear cast integrally with the cam gear.......which serves no purpose........ :uhoh:

.................snip..................
Craig:

That -is- odd. I can't believe that the gear is heavy enough to drive a sideshaft. Could it have been for an oil pump or other low-power accessory?

There must not have been many of those made and it could be that the gear wasn't specifically for that engine and was only used because the pattern was already handy.

It could be for something else and what that was has been lost to Father Time.

Take care - Elden:wave:

Last edited:

Craig A

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2015
These will probably be the last photos of the 12-27 before it leaves......unless there are any quick requests.......
The first is the ported exhaust side. That big round housing acts like an expansion chamber and cuts the report pretty well......as you heard.
The next photo is the opposite side of the cylinder where you can see the plug from which side Buice's is ported.
The third shot is just a front view and the last is the number stamped into the front steering ass'y support.

Elden......that bevel gear would easily drive a sideshaft. Those are big gears......the crank and camshaft gears have, at least, a 2 1/2" face.
The Hart Parr Models 30 and 40 both have vertical side shafts driving an overhead camshaft.

Attachments