• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Hart-Parr 17-30 Tractor Photo

Jeff Wahl

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/02/2019
I recently acquired a glass plate negative that shows what appears to be a 17-30 Hart-Parr tractor. Are there any surviving examples of this model Hart-Parr? Or would the 18-30 Hart Parr #3 be the closest surviving tractor as the 17-30 was basically a continuation of it? Are there records on how many 17-30s were built? Thanks for any information!

Hart Parr 30-60

Registered
I would email Mary Ann Townsend from the Floyd county museum. She would be able to help you with any question that she is able to answer. They have all of the papers from the factory I pm the email to you

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
From what I've read the #3 is the oldest surviving HP period. The unit in your photo is one of 15 tractors built in that series. I think the #3 was the next model built. I've read where the #3 originally had that type radiator but was replaced by the builders in a field up grade when quite new. I think the main difference on the 18-30 is a heavier drive gearing so the unit could be used for heavier draw bar work. There is a tractor in northern IN. that is almost as old as the #3, it has been in the same family since new I think. I have a copy of the pictorial history book of HP and there is a very similar picture of that glass plate photo in it.

Kelly Barnett

Registered
Pertaining to the round radiator on that unit. Somewhere is in the archives at the Museum in Charles City there is a letter that the Hart Parr company sent out in 1905 to let the branch offices know that from then on the tractors would be coming out with the square radiators because of better cooling. All The previous tractors could be changed over if the owners wanted. So, old number 3 (17-30) would have originally had a round radiator on it until it was changed over after 1905.

I also see that your picture has the wider rear wheels on it. I have noticed that some pics from back then showed the 17-30's with wide and some with narrow wheels, like what is on #3.

Kelly

Last edited:

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
Yes that's the one, it is owned by the heirs of the late Fred Schneider of Weston IL. It is generally believed to be a 1904 or 05 model. As can be noted from the video of the Schneider tractor it has been modified a bit back in the day by the owner. The family legend goes that this tractor was the first to use water injection, the owners went to HP with their ideal and HP did some engineering and equipped it and all production units with the improvement. Also the #3 doesn't mean it was built in 03 but is one of the batch built as the third design built by HP. Those were the first ones built in volume. The #1 and #2 were single issue tractors of the highly experimental nature but were sold to customers as working units. There is a lot of printed info on the early history of Hart Parr but it is scattered about in many different sources, would be super if more of it was available in a more complete published volume.

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
One thing we need a bit of clarification on, I believe the Tractor refered to as #3 is in reality a 17-30 from that batch of 15 built and the Schneider tractor is a 18-30, the next version built. Mr. Doug Strauswer has been a devoted follower of HP history, maybe he could fill in the gaps a bit for us? I know I've read those details but don't trust my memory to the complete story on them. The video of the Schneider tractor was taken at out local show at Pinckneyville IL a few years back when the ATA hosted the HP convention. The family graciously hauled it down here for that event, a considerable trip as the show grounds are at least 400 miles from their place. We were very thankful to see it in person.

Brothers Clemens

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2018
Thanks Jeff and Frank for posting the picture and info.

Very intresting subject with wonderful picture.

Also having an collection of glass and negatives from the Eyebrow Hart Parr, Gool Shapley & Muir, IHC farm recently post partly by Rick in the Antique Power.
Some of these negatives had to be restored in the photo lab.

The question was eny more info on this subject woult be nice.

Post for you both 2 pictures out of the Blue One.

One is for Jeff and the other is for Frank.;)

To us there is only one question left in this story.

What is writen in the beem frames of the Hart Parr Nr.3 in the Smitsonian and the one Weston IL (Steel makers).

Woult be nice if somebody coult check.:O

Keep the info role in.:wave:

Attachments

Last edited:

Jeff Wahl

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/02/2019
Thanks for all the information!

Wendell's tractor book listed #3 as an 18-30 and says they built 15 17-30s in 1903. So maybe some of the info is backwards?

The following article says in 1903, 14 17-30 tractors were built and 24 22-40 tractors were built, 3 with heavy drive train for plowing.
http://www.farmcollector.com/company-history/charles-hart-hart-parr-tractors.aspx

The rear wheels on Mr. Schneider's tractor match those on the 22-40 tractor illustration. So either that tractor is a 22-40 or they switched wheels in the later years.

I'm not sure the tractor in my photo has wider wheels then Hart-Parr #3, I think they appear wider depending on angle you are viewing the tractor. I guess it's possible the tractor in this photo is Hart Parr #3? Hart Parr #3 is not currently on display at the National Museum of American History. Would like to see it with a round radiator.

Last edited:

Kelly Barnett

Registered
This is one of the pictures I was thinking of when I mentioned the narrow or wide rear wheels. You can clearly see from this shot that the distance from the outer spoke to the outside edge is different between the two. I know there are other pictures floating around of the early Hart-Parrs. But at least this gives the comparison I had mentioned. It also has the square radiator like the one on old #3. Let's see what else might show up on this thread. Since I grew up in old Charles City I have a special interest in the HP line. Thanks for starting this thread.

Kelly

Attachments

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
Kelly, that pic I've often wondered about weather it was taken at the early HP Plant? The small building in the back ground looks similar to the one in the other on site photos of the HP plant office.