• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Head Gaskets

Byron Roberts

Registered
Could I get your opinion:: Just cut new gaskets ::: should I just Grease them or Permatex ... One is headgasket .. the other is Igniter...... Byron :rolleyes:

Allen Lapage

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/24/2011
If using composition gaskets I would only use A light coat of grease mainly for dissambly purposes. If the surfaces are in very bad condition then I would use one of the many types of silicone. Just my opnion.
allen

Chuck Woycke

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/12/2020
almost any sealer will work if the surface is in good condition.most of the stuff we collect is far from that.what has never failed me is 2 products from permatex for head gaskets try copper coat you spray in on both sides let it get tackey then assemble it.the best gasket sealer i have ever used is hylomar hpf it used to be made by locktite but permatex bought them out comes in a 1 oz tube is not cheap about $4.00 a tube thats the sealer rolls r uses to assemble there car engines in england.both of these products you can take the ass,y apart and it's still soft and will not ruin the gasket.

Byron Roberts

Registered
Thanks for the info:: Just used grease on the JD gaskets but they were copper clad.. These are just regular gasket material.... Surfaces are in great shape for a 1910 waterloo 1 1/2.... Thanks Harry:::: Byron