• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Heat resistant filler

Adam Jones

Registered
Hello guys I'm wanting to fill some imperfections on my lister junior cylinder where the rust has eaten into it over years of laying in the dirt. Is there a filler that anyone can reccomend for this purpose and will withstand the heat of the engine when it get to when full running temp
Adam

jopeter

Registered
Adam ,although I have not used it, many claims have been made regarding JB Weld .Personaly I have used a product made by Peerless Plastics ,not in the cylinder bore but to repair cracked water jackets.

ShaneZahn

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/21/2015
JB Weld two part epoxy.
About 50 years ago. I used JB weld to repair a Natural Gas Fired, steam boiler.
It was the only heating supply for our house. I used a hacksaw blade to reach the area that was leaking & it took several coats. That repair lasted as long as I lived in the house & don't know if it ever failed.
I was about 15 yrs old at the time, no father, no money, mother had nothing but a bible & a prayer.
I had the stupidity to fix it any way possible & used JB Weld first. just because the can said heat resistant.
One thing about JB is you can use water to make it as smooth as a babies ass.
Shane

Adam Jones

Registered
Thanks heaps guys I've just google searched it and Im orrery sure it will do the job I want. It's available in most place by the looks of it and not to badly priced
Adam

Rusty Engines

eMail NOT Working
How about this and most likely cost less and will take the heat
Ian
Permatex Muffler & Tailpipe Putty
Repairs holes and cracks in mufflers, tailpipes, joints and catalytic converters
Black sodium silicate based sealer
Long lasting, shock resistant
Temperature resistant to 1000 degrees celsius

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
The problem with most all the muffler patching material is they are water soluable and if any moisture gets to them it will break down the material. I'm not familiar with that particular one but all I have ever tried looked ok till it got wet too often.

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
The old napa used to carry a tube of stuff called Liquid Steel. It was a 1 part stuff. I had a chain get jammed against a hydro cylinder 1 day at work and didn't want to be out of the equipment waiting for the lazy shop mechanics to order a cylinder for the post puller. I bought a tube of this stuff. Cleaned the metal,and put some along the groove. The next morning I used sandpaper ,a very fine grit, and polished it all back up. You could barely see where the groove was and it worked fine with no leaks. I later used it to fill a thin groove in a Kohler engine block that had a broke ring cut a thin vertical scar in the cylinder. It weren't much but enough to catch and release oil to smoke.

cobbadog

Registered
I buy and use a product similar to the JB weld from Bunnings Hardware. It is called NEED-IT by Selleys. It comes in small and large tubes and is a good price, under $20.00 for the large tube.

Adam Jones

Registered
Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback. I have heard of and used need it apua before how does the steel need it handle the heat do you know

Rusty Engines

eMail NOT Working
The problem with most all the muffler patching material is they are water soluable and if any moisture gets to them it will break down the material. I'm not familiar with that particular one but all I have ever tried looked ok till it got wet too often. \
That is interesting as it is on the outside or should say underside of car and gets wet every time it rains and up here in tropical Queensland that can be lot of water during our wet season and for me has been OK
Ian

Darryl

Registered
Hello guys I'm wanting to fill some imperfections on my lister junior cylinder where the rust has eaten into it over years of laying in the dirt. Is there a filler that anyone can reccomend for this purpose and will withstand the heat of the engine when it get to when full running temp
Adam
I've got engines that had terrible pitting and as long as it is just pitting and not large portions rusted away, I just honed them and run them and they go OK.

---------- Post added at 06:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 AM ----------

Or do tou mean the outside of the cylinder or the hopper?

Adam Jones

Registered
Hi guys no it's on the outside of the cylinder I would just like to make it a bit smoother so that the decals will stick nicely on it.
Adam

Kynoch

Registered
Hi
I have used automotive filler (bog) on a tank cooled engine that I have run for 5 years now with no problem but it does run very cool don’t know how it would go on an engine that runs a bit hotter. I have also used JB weld to fix a small crack in a water jacket that was going to be very hard to get welded up think it was about $20 for it and it’s very easy to use.
Russell

Adam Jones

Registered
I do have some bog in the shed and was actually wondering if that would work. Will give it a try.
Thanks Adam

cobbadog

Registered
I am not too sure of the temperature range of U-Need It. But I do remember that there was a couple to choose from as well as quantity. Have a read of the label to see if it suits or google the product or visit Selleys web site for more info.