• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Heavy Marbel Panel with crank handle & brass contacts

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I'd be inclined to say that it is a manual motor starter for a direct current motor.... Resistance is used to limit armature current to a safe value during acceleration, and is cut out in steps as the motor accelerates.

That's very cool, by the way. :D

Keith

Jim Martin

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/19/2019
Thanks Vanman, I didnt give the measurments but its 18"s wide and 24"s tall and weighs over 50 pounds.

Elden DuRand

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
12/22/2017
Since it looks like there were meters mounted on the panel, I'll venture a guess that it's a generator field rheostat and the meters were a voltmeter and an ammeter.

ShaneZahn

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/21/2015
My opinion is, its an early D.C. Elevator, control.

Marble & Brass equal Art Deco 1920

Frank DeWitt

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/17/2019
Since it looks like there were meters mounted on the panel, I'll venture a guess that it's a generator field rheostat and the meters were a voltmeter and an ammeter.
I agree with this. I have seen 1920 DC Motor starters in use, They had no meters. This looks like it had two meters, and perhaps two switches. (Upper right and upper left.) Also I think the fuse holders on the back point to a generator.

Frank