• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Heavy Marbel Panel with crank handle & brass contacts

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I'd be inclined to say that it is a manual motor starter for a direct current motor.... Resistance is used to limit armature current to a safe value during acceleration, and is cut out in steps as the motor accelerates.

That's very cool, by the way. :D

Keith

Jim Martin

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/19/2019
Thanks Vanman, I didnt give the measurments but its 18"s wide and 24"s tall and weighs over 50 pounds.

Elden DuRand

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
12/22/2017
Since it looks like there were meters mounted on the panel, I'll venture a guess that it's a generator field rheostat and the meters were a voltmeter and an ammeter.

ShaneZahn

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/21/2015
My opinion is, its an early D.C. Elevator, control.

Marble & Brass equal Art Deco 1920

Frank DeWitt

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/17/2019
Since it looks like there were meters mounted on the panel, I'll venture a guess that it's a generator field rheostat and the meters were a voltmeter and an ammeter.
I agree with this. I have seen 1920 DC Motor starters in use, They had no meters. This looks like it had two meters, and perhaps two switches. (Upper right and upper left.) Also I think the fuse holders on the back point to a generator.

Frank