• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Help Date GE Motor / Generator

Firewoodguy

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/01/2019
I have this old electric motor in corner of barn for many years. i have no knowledge on motors and i would like to date this. I have no use for this motor, but would like to know more about it. Im thinking it was from the 1940's? I have an old friend who guts these motors for scrap past 50yrs and he is after this one. I told him i would like to find out if it has possibly a collectors value as in parts or if collectors restore these before it gets melted. Any help much appreciated.

Attachments

cornbinder89

Registered
Re: Help date GE notor

If I'm reading the tag correctly it is a 100 amp 24 volt generator and not a motor.
Looks like it is set up to be direct coupled to a shaft and not belted. Not sure when it was made and for what.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Wow, it stuns me that someone would destroy something like this for a few bucks! I swear I want to put all of these non-discerning scrappers in prison. :rant: China crap? No problem. Scrap away. Modern junk? Same. But good, old, high quality stuff? It should be illegal to destroy. It'll never be made again, so all that's left is all there will ever be.

That is a neat old machine! DC machines can be connected to work very well as motors or generators, and be made to run at different voltages and speeds.

This one is compound wound, so it's output voltage does not droop with load. VERY cool.

As to it's age, I'd say the brass nameplate makes it pretty old. '20's? '30's?

I would be HONORED to have that machine!

cornbinder89

Registered
I was thinking it might be for a mini hydro on a farm back before REA. Too high a cap for a wind powered unit.
Lots of 24 and 32 volt stuff back then.

Railroads

Registered
Not scrap by any means. There is a few of us on here that would be honored to have something like that. If someone wanted to recondition the machine it could be used for an off grid setup. Hydro power comes to mind with a decent size bank of 24 volt batteries.

Robert

Firewoodguy

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/01/2019
well, I guess the scrap guy isn't getting this one. I really had no idea there is a market for these big old motors. im sure I will be tripping over it in the near future and you'll see it on harrys engine classifieds. :rolleyes:

Firewoodguy

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/01/2019
Posted this generator under the classifieds if anyone interested. Thank you