Help ID this 1955 engine - small tiller

ev1

hi folks, need help IDing this engine. two pictures inserted - one original, the second showing the colors of the 'tiller. we think the 'tiller was brand new in 1955, OEM painted red and yellow. it may have been called a "red head" brand. note the unusual flat muffler under the cylinder. Would love to know what kind of engine this was?, and even more if someone has data on the 'tiller or brand or anything. it was a 2 stroke engine. thanks, steve

Attachments

K-Tron

Steve, The engine is without a doubt a Power Products. Likely an AV-47, but very difficult to know for sure without having an engine to look at. I have not seen that particular rototiller before. Very interesting little machine.

Chris

ev1

Steve, The engine is without a doubt a Power Products. Likely an AV-47, but very difficult to know for sure without having an engine to look at. I have not seen that particular rototiller before. Very interesting little machine.

Chris
Hi Chris, thank you for your reply to my post. Very much appreciated. i had thought tecumseh for some time as a faded memory from my father repairing the engine, but was unable to see any similarities from the tecumseh pictures i previously searched. with your lead, i see the flat muffler and the similarities now. i recall the base of our old tiller being a 4 bolt square pattern, and the PP engines i just looked up being all 3 bolt triangle mounting. i will take your lead and run with it. again, i thank you so very much for your time in reply and good advise. steve ps: i just found your reply a few minutes ago, i had thought replys would be forwarded to my e-mail, but apparently no so.

Lawnboy

Hard to tell, but could be a Chrysler Super Bee. Also a 2 cycle engine, Shroud and starter look Super Bee to me.

ev1

Thanks to all who responded. turns out it is a WISCON Products, RED HEAD, garden cultivator. made by WISCON in Racine, Wisconsin in the 1950s. Still looking for an engine like that, no luck finding any pictures of the suggested Power Products AV-47, but that seems right, or at least close. looking for one to buy now. thanks to all.