• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Help identifing Bosch magneto

luffingboy

Registered
I need help identifying the type of Bosch magneto in the photographs. It is fitted to a 1906 Model AH Renault, which has a four cylinder atmospheric intake engine. Renault had their own distributor, mounted on the opposite side to the magneto, which took a single high tension lead from the magneto.RenaultMagnetoWeb.jpgRenaultMagnetoWebdDetail.jpg

luffingboy

Registered
My guess is that you will find the model number behind that strap. At least you know it is a type 60
Yeah I figured that out. But the trick is to remove the strap on a 1906 photograph to discover the secret. The '60' is a distraction I think.

Last edited:

Merv C

Registered
It probably isn't, but it does have some similarities to the English made Bosch DA2 they were made from 1903 until 1922

Merv

luffingboy

Registered
It probably isn't, but it does have some similarities to the English made Bosch DA2 they were made from 1903 until 1922
Merv
There is quite some resemblance, but the high tension lead terminal looks different. The years of manufacture are consistent though.

Merv C

Registered
I also have a DU6 which does have the HT outlet very similar, so the mag could a DU The DA2 is a single cylinder and the production date seems to vary one drawing seems to be dated 1902 I haven't have any info on the DU My feeling is this is about as close as you will get without someone coming up with a magneto with the same markings. I understand the DA and DU series were used on early cars and motorbikes I could take Photos of both Magnetos

luffingboy

Registered
I also have a DU6 which does have the HT outlet very similar, so the mag could a DU The DA2 is a single cylinder and the production date seems to vary one drawing seems to be dated 1902 I haven't have any info on the DU My feeling is this is about as close as you will get without someone coming up with a magneto with the same markings. I understand the DA and DU series were used on early cars and motorbikes I could take Photos of both Magnetos
A couple of photos would help if you can. Much appreciated.

Craig Gillingham

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/04/2017
I used to have a Bosch D2R magneto, which was identical to this, except that it had a double-row set of magnets, --not single. The D2R had the same cam-roller contact points as this as well.

luffingboy

Registered
I used to have a Bosch D2R magneto, which was identical to this, except that it had a double-row set of magnets, --not single. The D2R had the same cam-roller contact points as this as well.
I think this has twin magnets too, just hidden behind that blasted hold-down strap. I guess Bosch used similar components on all their mags in any one year. So, given the length of time each type was made, the differences reflect the yearly changes rather than the model differences.

Merv C

Registered
DSCF5381.JPGDSCF5381.JPG
A couple of photos would help if you can. Much appreciated.
Here are the two magnetos the one on the left is the DA2 and the other is the DU6 I have been hunting around the net and I think the mag in the photo is a DA1 the Renualt would most likely had the German magneto rather than American Bosch DU1 It would appear the DA magnetos were made in England as well
Merv

Craig Gillingham

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/04/2017
Here's photos of the D2R that I had and I thought it had been on a Renault originally; it has the same cam-roller point assembly, porcelain spark-gap and drive coupling. The only difference I can see is that it has double-row magnets and the lead-out is slightly different. I don't think it's a D2R, but something similar. I have a DA1, and they are very small, about 3/4 the size of a DA2.

Attachments