• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

Help Identifying Electrical Gizmo

oldironfever

good evening, we were cleaning out my grandpas shop this last weekend. he tinkered with small engines, tecumseh, briggs, etc... we found this gizmo there and was wondering if somebody could tell us what it is. it has a place for a mogul base light bulb the button on the side clicks when you press it. 2 red clamps for a hotside connection, 1 black clamp for a ground, and one 110 plugin ill try to get the pictures posted

Attachments

slip knot

Subscriber
its a timing light of sorts. I've seen them but don't remember exactly how it worked. you need the 110v to fire the light and it went off and on when the points opened or closed IIRC. Been too long ago.

radiodoc

I am new to Smokstak. I have followed it for sometime but just recently signed up so-to-speak. The item you have reminds me of what in the vintage radio/communications restoration is called a "dim bulb tester". The dim bulb tester is basically a plug, light socket, switch and clip leads. The bulb can be switched in and out of series. Initially the bulb is in the circuit and if it is dim then probably there is not a problem with the radio or device and for normal operation the switch shorts out the bulb. In restoring vintage radios this was/is used to protect scarce power transformers while testing.

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
Actually, it looks like a large room humidifier to me...

why are you holding that thing in your hand? :D