Help needed to identify H R SMITH wrench?

FWurth

One Millionth Post
I believe it's for straightening bent cylinder/ concave teeth in a threshing machine.

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Most threshing machines came equipped with one of those wrenches in the tool kit. My KG has one with it, a different mfg though. If some one lost their bundle fork into the feeder, usually a few spike cyl teeth would pay the price. Go to your tool box and retrieve your handy dandy tooth wrench, and your back in business with out too much delay. There was also a long socket like wrench for turning the nut on the shank of the tooth when replacing them. Remember this was in the days before most folks had anything like the modern socket wrenches that we all have today, most any implement came with it's own wrench set to make the repairs needed. The only reason I know so much useless information is that I collect too much useless (today) junk and read a lot. That and the fact that I'm also old as dirt!

FWurth

One Millionth Post
You will note that both tools above have 2 working slots. One to bend the tooth and one to twist the tooth back in alignment as well as hold it straight while tightening the spike.

Last edited:

Heins

Subscriber
It looks like the CASE tooth has a hex on the bottom that holds it in alignment when you tighten it. Does the hex part of the tooth go into the bar on the cylinder?

Last edited:

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Yes, those teeth are designed with that feature to prevent them from rotating under use. The running clearance is close and if one were to get turned it would get hit by the other teeth going past and likely break off and take others with it.