• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Help needed with Frick (photo)

• Thread starter tex s. holliday
  • Start date
T

tex s. holliday

Hi.

I have just gotten a 8hp frick and I need all the help that I can get from you all. It needs a total restortion and I will be asking all sorts of questions. So, can one of you be patient enough to help me out? Tex

A

Allen

What would you like to know? There is a Frick Engine club based in Climax NC (336)685-4253 They should have stuff like serial # info and paint codes.

Boiler work, talk to steam club people near you to get recommendations on a good code repair shop (no, r-stamp work is not cheap, but it is usually worth it in the long run.)

The engine itself can be rebuilt by just about anybody with a bit of mechanical know how. There ARE some parts being reproduced for Fricks engines.

The sheet metal stack should go up about 18", and have a hinged joint, then a longer pipe (I've seen some as short as 3 feet and as long as 12.). A taller stack will draft easier but is a bigger "pain" to put up and down, and exerts more stress on the stack base. most fellows seem to favor a 4-7 foot stack extension

Somehow I don't think the flywheel on the near side is the same vintage as the rest of the engine, but it IS kinda neat.

Hope this helps