• PLEASE READ AND TAKE HEED

NO, we don't have the old PM systems and NO, we are NOT your email provider. Yes, we have a CONVERSATION system now. You write, you read, write, read, etc. If you get a notice in your email about a reply to your conversation, DO NOT REPLY TO THE EMAIL. Read the INSTRUCTIONS and click VIEW THIS CONVERSATION and carry on there!

• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

HELP. Parts For 1923 Dodge Needed

Scotty 2

Registered
Hello all
The local museum has been restoring a 1923 Dodge that had been converted to a fire engine and they've done a great job when you consider what they started with (it's been under a few floods with nothing done in-between) and no spare funds.
The museums main money stream is people walking through the gates and holding nana blanket raffles.
Since this picture the Dodge's cab has been painted and guards etc fitted.
The local car club (Warwick and District Vintage and Veteran car Club who are famous for the Allora Heritage Week-End) has graciously donated $5,000 towards getting the Dodge to a roadworthy condition but she needs some parts. First of all a gearbox is needed. The one in it is full of gears that were rusty and badly pitted. It was OK to move around within the museum but it made a hell of a noise. They would also love to find a diff or a good set of gears for the diff. Again, they were badly corroded from all the years of water sitting in the diff.
A radiator would be handy but that is something else we can worry about later.
Can anyone help with parts or information of what models of Dodge we need to look for for a gear box and/or diff?
The museum and car club would really like the old girl to be registered and be used for promotion work for both parties.

Cheers Scott

E27N

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/06/2020
Re: HELP. Parts For 1923 Dodge Needed.

Scotty, the WA vintage and veteran car club have a literal warehouse full of spares. You may be able to contact someone in the club and see if they will sell you something if nothing turns up on your side of the paddock.

cobbadog

Registered

Hi Scotty,
What's with the snow chains in Warwick?

Also post this 'wanted' add on HCVC website, Historic Commercial Vehicle Club www.hcvc.com.au/forum

This is another great site I hang out in and there are a lot of very helpful blokes there.

cobbadog

Registered

Then they should hang them up on the wall in the shed during the drought. Scotty probably had something to do with leaving them on.
We never thought of doing that on our old 1936 Ford 8/10 when we were running around in the clay pit slipping n sliding everywhere. But it was good training for opposite lock driving and stay upright classes on the bikes as well.

Scotty 2

Registered

Hello all
Scotty, the WA vintage and veteran car club have a literal warehouse full of spares.
I had a look at their website and it seems like a great club to join if I was on the West Coast. They seems to be very oriented towards helping members. Membership seem very, very reasonable when you consider the facilities.
I will contact them if nothing appears on this side. Thanks for that.

Yep Ian. The chains were for mud. They were in the fire engine when she turned up at the museum and it's said they were used to get the pump closer to the creek, dam etc. They're really quick to get on and off.

Mr casetractor....The Dodge Bros Club of Australia had their National Rally here a couple of years ago and it was a member who donated the tyres shown to the museum. They're hard as the hobs of hell but they hold air. The museum was so appreciative of the generosity to get them. I'll be giving that club a call later.

The body is off her so I'll take some pictures of the pump and the painted body today.

Cheers and thanks
Scott

Scotty 2

Registered
Hello all
Some newer pictures. The body is now off to make life easier for the fix-up.
The pump is quite a good design. It's driven off the driveshaft after the gearbox and when you pull the red lever one way it engages the rest of the drive-line (ie diff) and if the lever is the other way it drives the water pump. In effect the pump has different speeds through the gearbox.
The body work has come up really nice. It was done by a local retired panel beater. All hand beaten and no bog.

I should mention that the vast majority (99.5%) of the work up until doing the paint was done by one fella who's in his 70's and has only one leg. He's the chap in the top picture. It took him a bit over 2 years to get it from a pile of rust to be drive-able. He used to drive trucks for a living. And that was before autos were in trucks. He used his walking stick to press the accelerator. He should be an inspiration to us all.

Cheers Scott

cobbadog

Registered
That guy certainly has not lost his ability to straighten and paint panels. Bloody nice work. Still working out how it could drive the pump only in one position and the rear wheels in the other without the pump still running.

Hubbie

Registered
As far as the pump goes it can be ran in each gear but should be ran in high gear. Then you have a throttle control to set the pump pressure.
As far as the pump engaging. It's a type of transfer case or pto. My fire truck has the same thing, but a haven't gotten to that yet so I can't tell you how it is actually works

cobbadog

Registered
Thanks for the answer Hubbie, that makes sense now.

Scotty, one day I am going to come up there and annoy you like no one else can! Won't that be fun?

But having landed back home from our busy little jaunt around the north west parts of NSW, we now have to play catch up with the annoying work stuff that pays for our toys.

Scotty 2

Registered
Hello all
Just an update: The gearbox and pump problems are sorted. We're just sourcing new bearings and felt seals and they'll be back in. It should be all back together next week. I''l take the camera and do some pictures of the pump setup and how it divides the power between the pump and drive shaft for you Cobba.
Then we attack the diff.

Cheers Scott

Scotty 2

Registered
Hello all
Update: gearbox bearings found ON THE SHELF here in our sleepy little town. Felt seals are been sourced.
Gerbox is back in and the pump to be put back together and installed next week. Again, bearings found on the shelf here in town. Then it's the diff's turn.

Now here's something we need to know. Where do you buy 5.00 x 24 tyres from? The poor old girl will need a set.

Cheers Scott

Famous Fitter

Registered
Hi Scott,

Try Vintage Tyre sales at Bribie Island ? He may have a more cost effective solution? Tyres are always expensive for anything over 21” then on top you need tubes and rust bands !!!! Lucky the spokes and rims are good enough or there is a few more grand there.

(Will look for bits for ya when I get time )

Cheers Justin

cobbadog

Registered
Hey Scotty, the bearing shop here in Taree has all kinds of felt in sheets and strips and I found that they are also available in different specifications. One is specifically for use in and around oil and the other for use in water situations.
I also have found felt available on Fleabay.

Scotty 2

Registered
Tyres are always expensive for anything over 21”
Bugger. No burnouts or circle work then it seems. John (the bloke in the picture) will be disappointed. :cool:
We're also getting some prices locally. Hopefully we'll be able to give a local some business.

Haven't heard about the felt seals today Cobba. Been busy cutting chaff and pumping water. Damm the drought. :(

Cheers Scott

Ray Freeman

Registered
Just out of interest a few weeks back I modified some felt seal carriers to take standard lip seals. They were for a vintage truck,rear axle I believe.