• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Help with Acme Sucker Rod

Phil P

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/24/2013
Hello all

I posted a picture on the Unidentified Engines forum. Mr. Howard Weaver identified it as a S. M. Jones or Acme Sucker Rod.

I have been ask to try to make it run.

Can anyone tell me where to get some technical information about this engine?

Thanks in advance.

Phil P

Bob Willman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/16/2020
S. M. Jones bought out the Acme Sucker Rod Company in the early 1900's. They were located in Toledo, Ohio and were fairly common in this area. S. M. Jones was mayor of Toledo for a time.
Serial numbers are usually on top of the cylinder away from the head. I have seen very little printed documentation on Acme or Jones engines.

John C. Neagley

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
04/08/2018
After 33 years of searching, I found, and just have had reprinted, excellent copies of the original S.M. Jones engine catalog. Much information and specifications, hot tube lengths, how to time a Jones ect. ect.Pictures and 40 pages are very clear in fact some better than the original catalog. They are $20.00 and 2.50 for shipping. Send good check to: John C. Neagley
PO Box 356 Grand Rapids, OH 43522
Order as many as you want to.

John C. Neagley

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
04/08/2018
I also have very nice, heavy brass exactly as original, S. M. Jones nametags and can stamp your number and HP in them for you.$35.00 each and $4.00 shipping. thanks,--John C. Neagley