• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Help with age of Peerless

JeffK

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/09/2020
A friend has a 50 horsepower Peerless traction engine with a brass tag on the jacket of the cylinder #18277. Does anyone have a guess on he year built? I also looked on the rear of the boiler for a stamp but didnt find any.

JBoogie

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/12/2013
i don't have my serial number list on me, but my 50hp is #17924 built 1917. i'd guess this engine to be 1918 or 1919. i'll have to check my list.

got any photos?

JeffK

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/09/2020
Its running. I thought the National Board started in 1921 so I guess this should have a stamp. If there is a stamp it should be near the top in back correct?

M Zeigler

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/11/2019
Mike,
I have sent you a couple of pictures of 18277 to post if you would, my computer is screwwed up for the moment & I can't access the photo upload.

I beleive you are correct with 1922 also.
Mike

JeffK

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/09/2020
It has a butt strap boiler. I will take a few photos on Monday.

JeffK

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/09/2020
The engine spent some time in Pennsylvania. However I do not know alot about the history of it.

Jerry Lucabaugh

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/14/2019
I do beleive this is the engine that Leroy Walker restored. He and I were speaking of its origin at the Westminster MD show Back in the early 90's. Locals thought it was Raymond Leppo's. Leroy had bought that one too, but he said This one came from a farm on coon club road near Westminster MD.

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Jeff,

One of our lurkers (who should join!:brows:) sent me this message on the Peerless:
Peerless #18277 was built in 1923. SN#18290 was the last engine they made it was a 50 hp.and built in 1924. No it will not have national board # if it did, the # would be on the barrel flywheel side just behind the front flue sheet rivet seam.
I can forward his information to you if you wish to converse further....he had a 50 hp and now has a U GEEZER!:D

Beth

JeffK

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/09/2020
Oh thats good info. I will look on the barrel for a # . I would be happy to get any information that the lurker has. Thanks Beth

JeffK

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/09/2020
That would be some nice vacation, I have to see how many miles is inbetween Long Island and Ohio:idea:

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Jeff,

It's only MONEY! I could make a list of the "characters" that frequent NTA. Sounds like we should have more new characters from the MN & SD area.

Davide plans to return from Italy, and of course the Stants from MD & the Decks from KS.

You never know what accent you'll hear .. as well as which brand of engine they prefer!:D

Beth

Ryan Williams

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/20/2019
Should be somewhere around 18-20k I imagine based on other engines I know. I have a friend with a 50hp Peerless that's supposed to be the last ever built but he hasn't trucked it in years and I doubt he would have the weight offhand unfortunately. The Peerless literature I have doesn't seem to be particularly detailed either.