• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Help With Old Photos and Scanned Negative Comparison

Keith Johnson

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/15/2013
I need some ideas on how to get some older, pre digital, photos on smokstak. Any and all ideas will be appreciated. About all I know how to do on a computer is turn it on!!
They are color photos taken in the 70s on a cheap camera so the quality is not too good.
Thanks in advance.

trudsmtuner

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2009
Re: Help with old photos

First way would be to buy a scanner, there cheap these days and the software is pretty self explanatory. But if you don't have alot of photos to transfer, it's probably not worth it.

The easiest method if your not computer savy, is most walmarts or local pharmacy or anywhere that does pictures, have a scanner in there photo center. They can scan the pictures for you and put them on a cd. Then you can transfer them to your computer. or upload them right off the disk.

Hope this helps, Justin

Keith Johnson

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/15/2013

Sounds like a simple solution. I'll give it a try. I have only about 5 or 6 that I want to put on here so we'll see what happens.
Thanks for the help!

Harry

Administrator
Staff member

This is a photo that I took in 1957 of my mother and paternal grandfather while we were visiting him in Florida. The camera was an old Kodak Duaflex, the type with the viewfinder in the top and it used the old style Kodachrome film.

Attachment #1 is the old washed out photo from the family album. And then, I found the original negative and scanned it. See attachment #2 for the difference!

Attachments

S

shanelc50

This is a photo that I took in 1957 of my mother and paternal grandfather while we were visiting him in Florida. The camera was an old Kodak Duaflex, the type with the viewfinder in the top and it used the old style Kodachrome film.

Attachment #1 is the old washed out photo from the family album. And then, I found the original negative and scanned it. See attachment #2 for the difference!
harry, you mean you scanned the negative and got this beautiful pic from it, nothing else? If you would email me what all you did. shanelc50@hotmail.com thank you

Harry

Administrator
Staff member

It's just done with an HP scanner that has a top lamp for negatives and an older PhotoShop program to process the results. Of course there's a learning curve that goes with it so as to know which buttons to push. Practice makes almost perfect.

Click here for a full sized photo instead of the attachments. It can be done, but it won't happen over night.

ListerDiesel

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
10/24/2016

We use Epson 1240U scanners, and we have the separate film scanner module, which plugs into the back of the scanner and sits on the top where the lid would normally go.

The software allows you to scan colour negatives and automatically produces a positive image, very useful as we haqve thousands of old family pictures and trip images, plus we used positive slide film for many years before we went digital.

I believe that most of the Epson units around that time had the option of the slide/film scanner.

Peter

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020

I just take a digital photo of the picture and load it into the computer and then edit it a bit :uhoh: . It's not great, but it works. Need to try the scanner/slide/negative way if I can ever find the negatives........ :shrug: