• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Help with Pulpwood wheel saws.

ruffneck

Registered
I got these two saws from my wife's grandmother. She said they had been sitting in the woods since the 60s. I come from a logging family and have heard about these saws my whole life and had never actually saw one in real life. My hope is to restore them to working order and take to a couple of small sawmill festivals we have around here. The one is a Kut Kwick I'm pretty sure. The other I have no idea but on the "bearing " not sure what to call it one for the saw it has Knight Saws Brunswick GA. I cannot find any information on it.

Attachments

ramsay

Registered
I got these two saws from my wife's grandmother. She said they had been sitting in the woods since the 60s. I come from a logging family and have heard about these saws my whole life and had never actually saw one in real life. My hope is to restore them to working order and take to a couple of small sawmill festivals we have around here. The one is a Kut Kwick I'm pretty sure. The other I have no idea but on the "bearing " not sure what to call it one for the saw it has Knight Saws Brunswick GA. I cannot find any information on it.
Watch this video till the end..........https://youtu.be/mUl-v86obCw

ruffneck

Registered
Watch this video till the end..........https://youtu.be/mUl-v86obCw
Men of the Forest I've watched it several times. After watching it years ago got me into really wanting to get one and restore it for me and my dad. He's in his 70s and remembers using them. He quit school at 6 to start pulpwooding/paperwooding to support his family after his dad broke his back. How I came across these were by pure luck. I was sitting watching Men of the Forest and my wife's grandmother says I've got two of those in the woods by the pond. The story goes some guys from Mississippi were cutting timber on their land and didn't pay them for two loads so they took the two saw as compensation. Apparently my wife's grandfather was the kind of man you didn't cross and make it out whole after he got done with you.

K-Tron

Registered
Kut Kwick is still in business today. They have always been located in Brunswick, Georgia. I think both of your saws are Kut-Kwicks. I have a Lowther and a Jaques self propelled buzz saw similar to yours. They are definitely scary medieval machines. I could not imagine having to make a days pay with one.

Chris

ruffneck

Registered
Kut Kwick is still in business today. They have always been located in Brunswick, Georgia. I think both of your saws are Kut-Kwicks. I have a Lowther and a Jaques self propelled buzz saw similar to yours. They are definitely scary medieval machines. I could not imagine having to make a days pay with one.

Chris
I called Kut Kwick to see if they had any old literature they would sell. They guy said he would look. The engines or a total loss. They've been on the dirt and full of water for years. From what I can tell they are Wisconsin AENs correct me if I'm wrong. Is it even possible to find them?

K-Tron

Registered
Ruddneck, your buzz saws appear to have Briggs & Stratton model 23 engines. They are an 8.4 horsepower engine. My Lowther saw has a 6hp Wisconsin AEH, and my Jaques has a 5hp Gladden AB. Your Briggs model 23's are rebuildable. The biggest issue with them is the magnematic ignition coils, which are often shot, and the large three bolt flo-jet carburetors, which are plain cantankerous. It looks like you have enough there to keep you busy. The good news is that model 23's are fairly common and not a high dollar engine. Since your saws use a plain PTO shaft engine it would be easy to find a model 23 replacement engine for both of them.

Chris

ruffneck

Registered
Thanks I appreciate it. Kut Kwick got back to me and sent me a pdf of a old manual for the jr,cyclone, and hurricane. As soon as get to a computer I'll upload it.

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
I was stationed in Brunswick GA in 1969/70 and there was a big pulp mill near the base. I wonder if that was the company you guys are talking about. It had distinct smell. I remember near the exit to the place, they had a free car wash for the employees. It had a pipe frame with a bunch of spray nozzles on it. You just drove up to it, pushed a button, and then drove your car through it. It was set up on a timer so it would only run for so long, and then shut off. We used to sneak through it all the time. I don't even think they cared. There was no attendant or security there at all.