• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Henny motors flower car/hearse...?

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
Now that is one :cool: car! looks like a sedan delivery with windows in the back! Are they looking to sell it?

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
Would be cool to see it come back to Freeport and join the Stephenson County Antique Engine Club's HENNEY's but sadly we're way short on volunteer labor anymore for fixing things up like they should be.

I'm not sure what year HENNEY signed an Exclusive Contract with Packard to use Their Chassis Only, but whatever year that was that one predates it.

Looks to be a Straight Hearse, but could pull double-duty in a smaller city and be a combination Hearse/Ambulance along with transporting flowers to the grave-site.

Dedicated "FLOWER-CARS" were cut down in back like a pick-up truck.

The last picture is of another "Flower-Car" I found on Facebook last year, but it's the only shot I have stored on my newer computer showing it from the rear.

:salute:

Attachments

1936JDB

Registered
The uncle who had owned it was adamant that it had been the flower car for someone local. But I can't argue that fact anymore without an oija board. It's a good looking old car. And I'm sure they'd love to see it go to someone that would care for it. And if that someone would do the leg work on the title, that they would make a square deal. I'll talk to him and see what the story is. If anyone wants to go that direction, perhaps you should pm me, and I can put you in contact with him.

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
It may Very Well have been Used as a Flower Car, but it was built as a Hearse.

A Couple Options on the title would be apply for a Lost Title, which would be sent to the last registered owner, (the Uncle) or whoever is picking up his mail, or apply for a Bonded Title which I Think is around a hundred bucks and good for three years, allowing that much time for someone with the original title to come and claim ownership, then after that 3 years the bonded title is traded for a Clear Title.

If you go for the Lost Title in the Uncles name then you also need a pile of paperwork to go with it including a Death Certificate and Power-of-Attorney, and a couple/few other forms allowing it to be sold.

Jack Innes

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/17/2020
To be exact it is a 1936 model L36 Oldsmobile with the 240 cid, 100 hp, 8 cylinder engine. The smaller 6 cylinder Olds did not have the lights on top of the fenders. Henny built hearse bodies on both the 6 & 8 Oldsmobile chassis in 1936. Their more expensive hearses were mainly built on Packard chassis.

Attachments

Last edited:

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
Jack beat me to it, but Yes, Definitely a 36 HENNEY OLDS.

I dug out my 36 H-O brochure and snapped a couple quick pix of it.

Printed early enough to still be showing the 35 model in the artists rendering on the cover, but it shows it as having a 257 cubic inch straight 8 and a 'special designed' rear axle for Hearse and Ambulance work with a 4.777:1 gearing in it.

And again, even though it was built as a Hearse, It Did Include Removeable Flower Trays (and for an extra $25.00 you could get an auxiliary tray to hang between them for carrying more flowers) The first Dedicated "Flower Car" was built in 37 on a Packard Chassis.

It appears it was 1938 that they signed the Exclusive Contract with Packard which ultimately Spelled The End for Henney when Packard went out of business. Prior to that they built them on a variety of different chassis including Velie, Buick, Auburn, Pontiac, Pierce Arrow, REO, Caddilac, LaSalle, Cord, and others, one Rolls Royce and there was rumored to have been one built of a Stephens Chassis which was the other Freeport IL Car Manufacturer in the early/mid 20s.

Henney also built Airport Limo's, and other Specialty Bodied cars including a Radio-Car for doing Live Broadcasts with a roof mounted platform to stand on, and (as per what I found on line to verify the Presidential connection)

"in 1950, Henney was awarded a special contract to build a fleet of nine custom-built, long-wheelbase Lincoln Cosmopolitans for the Truman White House. The contract stipulated that the coaches be armored by Henney’s competitor, the Hess & Eisenhardt Company of Rossmoyne, Ohio, as they were the only armoring firm “approved” by the federal government.
(kind of double-whammy for Henney using Lincolns instead of their contracted Packards, and having to have another company work with them on it)

Entering government service with the convertible that became the “bubbletop,” these armored Lincolns were primarily used during the Truman and Eisenhower years, and at least one survives. It is on display in the Harry S. Truman Library and Museum in Mr. Truman’s home town, Independence, Missouri."​

Attachments

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020
Not to hihack your post, but about 10 years ago a friend called me about “an old Ford sticking out of the grapevines” on his farm property near Kingsburg, CA.
I had to go see! It turned out to be this military version of a Packard Ambulance. No doubt bought surplus from local Camp San Luis Obispo where the California National Guard was headquartered.
I was able to buy it and take it home where it got even more interesting. This particular ambulance was once owned by the Cholame Ambulance Service. The same folks that carted actor James Dean to a Paso Robles hospital after his famous car crash “along came a Spyder” in 1955.
I sold it on EBay as “James Dean’s Last Ride”.
It’s amazing to me that taxpayer dollars were being used to buy Cadillac and Packard ambulances for Army and Navy installations in the 1930s and 1940s.

Attachments

1936JDB

Registered
My friend and his dad had a talk, and they decided that they would sell it, and for how much. If anyone wants to know pm me and I can get you some info..