• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Henry Ford Museum Collection Photo Documentation

Ben Busfield

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/12/2017
Gang, The only list that I am aware of is a partial 4 H.P. Portable (Ford grandchildren "Hy, Ben, Jo, Bill")
1890 Upton (Port Huron) traction 12 H.P.

8 H.P. Nichols-Shepard Portable No 347
1926 Bryan Steam Tractor Model A

1888 10 H.P. Nichols-Shepard traction No0 2739
12 H.P. Case Center Crank No. 4265 (compound)

1890 12 H.P. Upton (Port Huron) Marsh reverse

1885 6 H.P. Nichols-Shepard traction
1925 20-40 Baker Compound steam tractor
1916 30 H.P. Avery Undermounted
1920 20-75 Nichols-Shepard No, 13170
end quote
Is there any pics of the engines from the ford museum for the engines listed above ? if so could some one pm me and email them to me ? thatnks for any and all help

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
While I am dragging old threads up, I might as well bring this back to the surface also. My pictures probably should have gone here.

Brad your pictures are so nice! It was a gloomy day today & the lighting wasn't the best for my camera.

In looking at those pictures versus what I witnessed today, I am struck by the changes. Unfortunately, the world keeps going on & interests change. The car & truck exhibit are huge as are the plane displays. There is only so much room in that building....

The IMAX theater didn't thrill me....they could have placed the engines in that area, however.....

Beth

Sawyer-Massey 11-22

Registered
Beth: I recall seeing early photos in IMA of the engine hall at HFM, and even Brad's photos, wonderful as they are, are pale in comparison:(. Aside from the ones that were sold off under tender a few years ago, where the heck are they now? I would assume [hope] in storage somewhere. As for interest changing, perhaps the likes of Barrett Jaskson [with regards to the car and truck exhibit] may well be responsible for that. What I mean is, it is what people see on the tely, so it is what they expect to see when the visit a museum like HFM. The old adage comes into play,..............give'm what they want. Museums have a wonderful way of changing what their donor's/founder's had intended in the first place. Once your cherished momentos are in there, they are at the mercy not only of the curatorial staff, but also interest trends. We now live in a society where, peas come from a can,milk comes from a bag, that steak comes from the super market, agriculture is unknown to a whole generation of people.

Ok, I am done venting, please return to your regularily scheduled programning.

Robert

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Thanks Robert. Excellent observations. Times are changing and that is another reason why we need to locate those engines (in a positive manner) and help determine their fate.

I deal with the "Chocolate Cow" generation, as I call them, daily. They need education, but the foundation also has to play to those that will "feed" the coffers. A museum & collection like that cannot be cheap to operate!

We were looking at the beautiful wooden floor & wondered at the upkeep. Then we looked at the extensive sprinkler system. We are thankful for them as well as the brick/block building for fire concerns. Who goes thru & dusts those exhibits??

Just a thought, but maybe SmokStak & its readers might be able to influence the staff...SS has a huge following. Maybe we can accomplish something if we put our collective knowledge & contacts together!?!?:brows:

Beth

Kelly Tytlandsvik

Subscriber
Here are a few pictures I took in 1993. I have more but the lighting was not the best. By the time I got back far enough to get the engines in the flash was ineffective. So I am sorry they don't scan well. I do remember the big Steam Gas engine that the Ford plant had 9 of though....it was an impressive sight!

It seems to me the person on duty that day told us there was 18 acres of hardwood floor..... all cut in a Herring bone pattern. Also we were told the roof was made from ships hulls, salvaged from ships that were partially built when the war ended.

Kelly T

http://www.smokstak.com/gallery/files/3/0/9/7/Henryford1a.jpg

http://www.smokstak.com/gallery/files/3/0/9/7/HenryFord2a.jpg

Glenn Gieszler

Registered
Last year I contacted the HFM regarding the Center Crank Case they have, I wrote them a letter and lo and behold they did call me at work after several months, this engine and many others have been relocated they would not disclose the location, they would not allow me access to any engine not being displayed even just for measurements and pictures is all I wanted, they did however place my letter in the file for this engine and when it is available for viewing they will contact me................ my only hope is that by then either the Devil or Jesus Christ will be giving out a one day pass to go and look at it...... seeing how my luck has been going.

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Here is the partial list again with their current location. Can we pin down the rest? I'm sure I have missed some.

What about the Upton? Is that the same one that Tracy Powers owns that he purchased from Graham Sellers & it came from IL or IA? Was it listed twice?

Thanks
Beth

10 H.P. Wood Tabor & Morse, traction
1885 Portable, Novelty Works, Corry, Pa.
1885 Portable Fishkill
1882 8 H.P. Westinghouse Portable No. 345 on display in the museum as of 12/29/07
1900 Farquhar Portable
4 H.P. Portable (Ford grandchildren "Hy, Ben, Jo, Bill")
8 H.P. Ypsilanti "Monitor" Portable
1885 Geiser Portable
1880 Nichols-Shepard Portable
1875 Owens, Lane & Dyer Portable in the village, see Dalene Deck's photo from June 2007
1890 A. W. Stevens Portable
1885 Groton Portable No 175
1880 Do June & Co. Portable
1890 8 H.P. Huber Portable
1885 Birdsall traction
Geiser "Peerless" No 4761
8 H.P. Nichols-Shepard Portable No 347
1926 Bryan Steam Tractor Model A
1880 Aultman-Taylor bevel gear drive donated by Joseph Rynda-name stamped in it & on display as of 12/29/07
1888 10 H.P. Nichols-Shepard traction No0 2739
1885 Oneida Chain Drive, horse steer traction
12 H.P. Case Center Crank No. 4265 (compound)
1885 10 H.P. Westinghouse V-belt drive
1888 12 H.P. Wood, Tabor & Morse 4 wheel drive
1885 6 H.P. Nichols-Shepard traction
1885 Russell traction, horse steer Peter has out East
1895 12 H.P. Harrison Jumbo two speed traction owned by the Harrison Museum in IL
1855 Frick "Eclipse" traction
1925 20-40 Baker Compound steam tractor
1916 30 H.P. Avery Undermounted on display in the museum as of 12/29/07
1920 20-75 Nichols-Shepard No, 13170
1860 C. J. Cooper Portable
1880 Hoadley Portable, automatic Governor on display in the museum as of 12/29/07
1860 Blandy Portable, Zanesville, Ohio
1900 Reeves and Company Portable No. 1147 Larry Barson has/had this as of last summer in Michigan

C

criswell

In response to a post a little up the line about the amount of flooring in the Henry Ford Museum, they have 12 acres of covered exhibit space and "roughly" 11 acres of teak hardwood flooring. And as for the roof, ships hulls, nope.
With the exception of the front copy of Independence Hall and the Georgian style facade, the "Great Hall" was designed and built by Albert Kahn and Associates and is amazingly similar to the design of the Highland Park Assembly Plant, (where most of the model T production took place), also designed by Kahn.

Reeves1917

Registered
Beth According to this list is that where the Reeves is at, it is no longer at the museum, Just wondering

John Gallahue

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Hi John,

As of last summer, Larry Barson owned it. He purchased it at auction this year. It used to be in Brooklyn, MI. My brother looked at it several years ago.

Here's a picture of it from Gary's Gallery:

Beth

JBoogie

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/12/2013
beth,

the "imax experience" doesn't excite you either? what a waste of space, money and effort. if i recall correctly the imax area is exactly where most of those engines used to sit. i remember running up to the windows of the museum on that end of the parking lot, as a little kid, and peaking at the engines before we got to the entrance. when they were building that stupid theater they had all of the steamers quaranteened, and i could just tell that they wouldn't be on display much longer. this was around the time they were auctioning the geezer, birdsall, jumbo and russell about 2000 or 2001.

your list is accurate as far as what is only display for traction engines and portables, except for the bryant. that "engine" is/was on display last time i was there about a month ago. it isn't much to look at which may be why you missed it. kinda looks like an overgrown fordson "f".

as for where the rest of the engines are.....i have been told by an hfm employee "not to worry, they are safe and in storage". the problem is i can't help but to be worried. with so many rare and one of a kind pieces being stashed away, how can we garuntee that they will be preserved, even if they will never be displayed? how do we know they won't be sold off in a back door deal to a private collector to never be seen again? i hate to see things (especially steam engines) collecting dust in a museum when they could be operated, but i really think a collection of their caliber should be kept intact and on view for the world to enjoy and learn from.

maybe we could round up a group of enthusiasts and petition hfm to let us see what all they have in storage???

the hfm is well on it's way to becoming an amusement park.

i've asked about this before with no response so i'll re submit it. is that a typo on the 1855 frick traction? i remember someone posted a picture of an 1855 frick stationary engine (white horizontal box bed with six neat pillars on it) that was sold off and i think went to texas. has anyone seen this engine since it was sold by hfm???

a lot of the engines listed mia are in the norbek book.

sorry so long, Jason

Davide L.

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/15/2013
Hi Beth,
I purchased the Reeves skid engine 1147 last year. It is now in my collection in Italy, I hope to finish the restoration for next summer. :D
Here you have a photo of it. It needs some work.

I will send more photos in the next days, maybe I will open a restoration thread on it.
Have a good day,:wave:

Davide

S

survivingworldsteam

Beth;

I missed your list when you posted it the first time; thank you for taking the trouble to put it together, and thanks to others for bringing it back up to the top. I learned a lot from it.

Here are my notes:

Your current list

One of these is No. 401. My list shows a 1890 Upton 10 HP is from the museum but is no longer there.

10 H.P. Wood Tabor & Morse, traction
1888 12 H.P. Wood, Tabor & Morse 4 wheel drive
According to IMA/JF86/P11, an 1891 10HP Wood Tabor & Morse is no longer at the museum. I believe the second one is the one still at the HFM.

1855 Frick "Eclipse" traction
Is that correct? 1855 seems a bit early.

The 1885 Westinghouse portable is No. 739.

Additions

According to IMA 5/97 and a couple of other lists; Case 18HP Traction #26524/1911 is operational at HFM. (Chuck?)

According to the Frick Owners Club, Frick Traction 12HP #10312/1903 (boiler #7805) is at Greenfield village.

According to IMA/JF86/P11 an 1891 Nicholas & Sheperd 12HP is no longer at the HFM; when it left and current whereabouts unknown.

According to this webpage, Port Huron 65HP #7920/1916 is at Greenfield Village.

A c.1890 Birdsall 6HP portable was on sale on e-bay back in 2001. According to the seller, it was at the HFM from c.1929-1985. Don't know who bought it.

According to IMA/JF86/P11 a 1902 Messinger Mfg. 7HP is no longer at the HFM; when it left and current whereabouts unknown.

According to IMA/JF86/P11, an 1888 Watertown portable is no longer at the HRM; when it left and current whereabouts unknown.

Other steam items

These are not traction engines, but some may be interested, and others may have updates on their status.

Greenfield Village
American LaFrance steam fire engine #3057/1906
Silsby steam fire engine #378/1872 (gone? now at the HFM?)
Doble steam car #E9/1923

HFM
Silsby steam fire engine #853/1886
1865 Roper steam carriage

White steam car #94/1900 is now owned by Carl Muller.

A large beam engine, make unknown, from a southern ironworks, left the museum c.1980s and is now on outdoor display at the Western Museum of Mining & Industry, Colorado Springs, CO.

-James Hefner
Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project

International Stationary Steam Engine Society

Sky Pilot

Registered
We went to HFM for our honeymoon.
A local cut the wife off & removed the front bumper from her Grand Am.
Brown Twp PD cited my wife because we were from out of state. He knew the other driver by first name and was obviously friends with him.
When I tried to fit the broken off front bumper into the back seat of our car he said "Just leave it, the township will clean it up," and I said "Back home unless the wrecker driver or the at-fault driver cleans the site up to pre-wreck conditions, I am required to cite both for littering." His eyes got big and he said "You're a cop?" "Eighteen years," I replied. "Last night was my retirement party."
"You should have told me earlier," he said.
We're not going back there again.

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Hi James!

We need to keep track of these engines as they have such history to them.

While I hate to see the Reeves skid gone from Michigan, I think Davide will provide it with a good home.....also an excuse to visit Italy?:brows: It appears that it is a 13 hp instead of the 16 hp as widely reported. It has 43 flues. Hopefully, Davide will provide additional information as he restores it.

Sky Pilot, I hope that Brownstown officer doesn't prevent you from visiting Michigan again. There's always one (or a few more...:rant:) in the crowd that ruins it.

Beth

Reeves1665

Registered
Beth -

The early 16's had 43 flues.... 1665 Does, but it is not a 13, as it is a CC which makes it a 16....

Josh

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Josh,

I know we debated whether or not your engine really is a 13??--Oh Gary...Davide sent you a note....

Hopefully, Dan Greger will post as he has more information on that. We talked about that last night. Too bad the spec sheets still weren't around:rant: Dan mentioned that he knew of 3 Reeves skid engines to leave the factory.

Yep, the little Reeves will need its own thread! Davide is going to try & measure the cylinders for additional information.

Beth

Reeves1665

Registered
From what paperwork we have found, the smallest CC was a 16. The earkiest ones supposedly used a 13 boiler because of the CC efficency....

Josh

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Hey Josh,

Can you post your paperwork over in the other thread? It should be an interesting case study of the skid engine.

Beth