• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Henry Ford Museum Collection Photo Documentation

DougLanum

Registered
Here is a scan from a booklet "revised" in 1967 as a Guide to the Henry Ford Museum showing the floor layout.
I do have photos from a couple visits I'll have to find and post later.

Doug

Attachments

Brad Kelley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I was lucky enough to have a business trip to Detroit this past August, and I had a free day in town so I made my first trip to the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me, but I did get some pictures on my phone. I was going to buy a disposable camera, but decided against it because I decided I will return to the museum again and bring a proper camera. Here are some of the photos I took on Aug. 27, 2008.

Here are Rynda's Aultman and the big Avery still in the Museum. Port Huron #7920 was inside Greenfield village, it had a brand new 2008 inspection tag, ashes on the ground under the engine, and looked very well maintained. The Owens Lane & Dyer portable is still inside the "Soybean Lab Agriculture Gallery" building inside the village.

I only had 1 day to explore, but as I zipped around the village I spotted some piles of rusting iron behind the "Armington & Sims Machine Shop" building. That's where I found this Westinghouse engine boiler!! Where's the rest??!! All that running around made me thirsty, so I stopped in "The Workshop & Guild Beer Hall" for a drink. That's where I found this Cretors popcorn and peanut wagon... and "STEAM WHISTLE" beer!!

When I arrived at the museum I got a 2008 Visitor Guide, and while browsing through it I noticed this picture advertising the Henry Ford Academy. The picture shows the front end of steam engine that I hunted for but never did find. Can anybody identify it? In the corner of the museum designated as the Academy on the map, I found some windows that matched the picture, but the engine was nowhere to be found...

Also, while in the Village, I stopped in the "Edison Illuminating Company's Station A" building where there were a number of stationary steam engine generators and some large boilers. They had 1 engine torn apart and one of the staff members told me they were doing a routine inspection and preservation maintenance. I asked him if he knew of any other steam engines not on display and he told me there is a whole warehouse full of the old museum pieces. I can't remember the exact name of the warehouse, but he called it something like the "Davis Street" or "Clark Street" warehouse.

I didn't get any pictures from the Railroad roundhouse, but it, the machinery, and the preserved locomotives are very impressive.

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Brad,

Did you see this scary thing? They claim it only had 15 psi when it ran.....and was surrounded by firebricks...

Beth:wave:

Attachments

Beth V

Last Subscription Date
03/03/2018
Hey Matt,

Can you identify the engine that Brad is looking for?

When I arrived at the museum I got a 2008 Visitor Guide, and while browsing through it I noticed this picture advertising the Henry Ford Academy. The picture shows the front end of steam engine that I hunted for but never did find. Can anybody identify it? In the corner of the museum designated as the Academy on the map, I found some windows that matched the picture, but the engine was nowhere to be found...
The Henry Ford Academy is to the East (I think, I kind of got turned around in there?:eek:) by the old steam boat and the woods/wetlands.

It doesn't sound like the steam boat will ever get put back in service. The main beams holding the top floor are rotten and the ship has been taken over by black mold. Sad.

Beth:wave:

L

Lyman Russell

Ok! So I'm confused!

Does the Ford Family still own the museum or is the City of Dearborn now in charge and what seems to be the problem?
Is it lack of funding or direction or just mismanagement?

I'm trying to figure this out because I can't imagine it's a lack of funding!

Lyman!

Brothers Clemens

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2018
Intresting subject.

Wel it have nothing to do with steam but if some of you dit not know here in Holland there is the biggest Henry Ford museum collection in the world.:confused:....:brows:

Going to show this museum.
If somebody of you ever go to Holland its a nice museum to vizit.
http://www.fordmuseum.nl/cms/pages/english.php

This museum is buld up by one person Piet the Hartog.
He is past away but he was a personal friend of Freddie Heineken (the beer king) and Prince Bernhard, Prince of the Netherlands.:wave:

David Parfitt

Registered
Beth;

I missed your list when you posted it the first time; thank you for taking the trouble to put it together, and thanks to others for bringing it back up to the top. I learned a lot from it.

Here are my notes:

Your current list

One of these is No. 401. My list shows a 1890 Upton 10 HP is from the museum but is no longer there.

According to IMA/JF86/P11, an 1891 10HP Wood Tabor & Morse is no longer at the museum. I believe the second one is the one still at the HFM.

Is that correct? 1855 seems a bit early.

The 1885 Westinghouse portable is No. 739.

Additions

According to IMA 5/97 and a couple of other lists; Case 18HP Traction #26524/1911 is operational at HFM. (Chuck?)

According to the Frick Owners Club, Frick Traction 12HP #10312/1903 (boiler #7805) is at Greenfield village.

According to IMA/JF86/P11 an 1891 Nicholas & Sheperd 12HP is no longer at the HFM; when it left and current whereabouts unknown.

According to this webpage, Port Huron 65HP #7920/1916 is at Greenfield Village.

A c.1890 Birdsall 6HP portable was on sale on e-bay back in 2001. According to the seller, it was at the HFM from c.1929-1985. Don't know who bought it.

According to IMA/JF86/P11 a 1902 Messinger Mfg. 7HP is no longer at the HFM; when it left and current whereabouts unknown.

According to IMA/JF86/P11, an 1888 Watertown portable is no longer at the HRM; when it left and current whereabouts unknown.

Other steam items

These are not traction engines, but some may be interested, and others may have updates on their status.

Greenfield Village
American LaFrance steam fire engine #3057/1906
Silsby steam fire engine #378/1872 (gone? now at the HFM?)
Doble steam car #E9/1923

HFM
Silsby steam fire engine #853/1886
1865 Roper steam carriage

White steam car #94/1900 is now owned by Carl Muller.

A large beam engine, make unknown, from a southern ironworks, left the museum c.1980s and is now on outdoor display at the Western Museum of Mining & Industry, Colorado Springs, CO.

-James Hefner
Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project

International Stationary Steam Engine Society
James, apologies for not replying to this sooner - Silsby steam fire engine #853 is now at the American-LaFrance museum in North Charleston, SC.

David

David Parfitt

Registered
A friend sent me this photo of an English-built Shand Mason steam fire engine that used to be in the HFM. It was apparently sold at some time in the 1980s or 90s, and may have gone to a private collector in Illinois. Can anyone provide me with any more details of the engine's current location? (by private message or email if you prefer: david@steel-wheels.net)

Many thanks

David

Attachments

S

survivingworldsteam

A friend sent me this photo of an English-built Shand Mason steam fire engine that used to be in the HFM. It was apparently sold at some time in the 1980s or 90s, and may have gone to a private collector in Illinois. Can anyone provide me with any more details of the engine's current location? (by private message or email if you prefer: david@steel-wheels.net)

Many thanks

David
David;

Do you have any further details, like the year or serial number?

I wonder if it is the same Shand Mason as the one in the Hall of Flame Firefighting Museum, 6101 East Van Buren St., Phoenix, AZ. That one is said to have come from Rugby, England, and was built in 1890. Surely there aren't that many of these on this side of the pond. Perhaps it changed hands again?

-James

David Parfitt

Registered
Hi James

That's all I have on it, I'm afraid, but it's definitely not the same engine as the ex-Rugby, England one in the Phoenix museum. That one is of a slightly different design, and I think came from the Florida Carriage Museum at Weirsdale.

All the best

David

Peter

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2013
No, I just enjoyed looking at it over the years. In fact, seemed a shame that no one gets to see it, so; I tried to sell it last year.

cyberbadger

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
How many HP are those popcorn engines? There are two on engine ads that I was eyeing ...

I was guessing around 1HP or less.

-CB

Bob Willman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/16/2020
Somewhere around 1990 I was part of a private evening tour of the steam engines at HFM. We went from the James Watt engine to steam turbines. Our guide was explaining the operation of the Watt engine when his explanation was not being understood by the group. Finally he said,"Oh just grab the flywheel and turn it over so you can see how this goes".
It was a good tour!

Bob
WB8NQW

Dan Donaldson

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/18/2014
Who do you have to talk to about getting a tour of storage area where all the engines are that have taken out of the museum in order to make room for the wiener mobile? Or were they all sold via silent auctions?

Peter

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2013
Good luck Dan, I asked to see an engine on a vist and they did not even know where it was. I dont think they even knew what I was asking about.

I would expect a lot of planning ahead needed on my part. To get a look and rather than reduced your chances by making things all very public on the web, I suggest you make some phone calls. If you do get a look, maybe the person showing you will not even know what all the stuff is.

Please Take photos.