• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Henry Ford Museum Collection Photo Documentation

JBoogie

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/12/2013
I read that the overflow storage for HFM was in the Highland Park Ford Complex. I also read that they are to start demolition on the Highland Park facility this summer.

Joseph Graziana

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/30/2019
I think it is a good thing Mr Henry Ford is not alive today some of them would be FIRED. It is just a job to them and don't bother me to much I am at work. This is what I got out going a pick up the little jumbo. The engine was setting with other engines in a line and he said just a min I will get a picture and tell you what one it is. I told him I didn't need a picture as we walk along I named each one of the engines to him. He said that people did not look them muck so they want to get rid of them to make class room there. They could ad on the side of that place to make a class room there was a whole parking lot not a third being used. He would number one to be FIRED if I had my way gone befor night fall.

Emmo213

Registered
They could ad on the side of that place to make a class room there was a whole parking lot not a third being used.

So a couple of thoughts as a member of HFM/GFV.
- I wish there were more engines on display or in running order. Working machines are a much larger draw to the general public who have never seen such machines working before.

- Selling off their collection is shortsighted and someday they'll regret it. That being said, I'd LOVE to have something that used to be part of the museum collection. That'd be a great story to the item and it would be going to a good home (mine).

- The place may not always be full but during the special even days the entire parking lot is packed plus there's parking across the street. Could something else be done? Maybe, but just because the parking isn't always full doesn't mean you want to cannibalize it. That goes back to the being shortsighted comment from above.

David

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/27/2019
I contacted the museum a little while back about their collection behind the scenes, and these are the files they sent me. There is a picture and some information about each item in the collection.
Very much appreciated!

David

Peter

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2013
Thank you Calvin, I downloaded both pdfs and incidentally, I found the engine I had asked about. I may never see it, but if I go back now have a number to refer to.

Thank you.

David Parfitt

Registered
Can anyone tell me exactly how many auctions there have been of items from the Henry Ford collection, and when they were?

Does anyone have catalogues from these?

Many thanks

David

Joe K

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
I believe an auction was held in 1983. I have the auction catalog from that.

There may have been other auctions that I missed.

It's interesting as in many instances it discusses the museum's rationale for disposal of a certain item.

"The xxxxx is being disposed as it duplicates accession no. yyyy and the museum task is not preservation alone..."

About half of the objects are pictured. Some of the descriptions of those that are not are tantalizing.

"A steam engine governor marked pickering and to fit 3/4" pipe. Has the cast iron shroud commonly seen on later governors of this make." And no other comment.

My steam fiend er, friend in Manchester, NH went with his father to the auctions and ended up buying two engines. One a double cylinder reversing engine - may be a launch engine but was unusual both in layout and its chrome ornamentation. The other a common horizontal Atlas engine about 5x7 which Ford had originally taken from Nashua NH (and had the original tag showing where taken and a 1928 date it arrived at the museum.) This latter engine my friend considered to be "bringing it home" (back to NH) even though the Atlas had good reason to be located ANYWHERE it could have been shipped by rail in the 1900s. (And frequently were.) But it pleased my friend to own it and so he did.

That Atlas engine was unusual in that it showed Ford's forsightedness in collecting. Probably outmoded due to electrification, the Atlas was not a remarkable engine for that day and age. And it would have been sent to the scrapyard as an obsoleted but not necessarily historical engine.

But Ford picked it up, probably because it was bought at a good, possibly scrap price - and simply because Ford saw the handwriting on the wall for ALL similar engines. They would be all gone within a short time due to grid electrification.

As we have seen. In the Northeast anyway, by WWII stationary steam was dead except in those few industries who burned their waste as fuel. And the 1970s environmental regulations have killed the rest.

I had thoughts to attend the auction (hence purchase of the listing for like $3) but then, as now, I'm limited to a beer pocketbook - but have champagne tastes.

Joe K

Last edited:

Tim Colwell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
gratis
If any one wants to see pic of a specific item I went in June and took a pic of every item on display.

Peter Short

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2017
A friend sent me this photo of an English-built Shand Mason steam fire engine that used to be in the HFM. It was apparently sold at some time in the 1980s or 90s, and may have gone to a private collector in Illinois. Can anyone provide me with any more details of the engine's current location? (by private message or email if you prefer: david@steel-wheels.net)

Many thanks

David
Here is the story of how the Warwick engine was found and acquired. From Strange Commissions for Henry Ford by H. F. Morton

Attachments

LAKnox

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/15/2016
Here is the story of how the Warwick engine was found and acquired. From Strange Commissions for Henry Ford by H. F. Morton
Cool! I've been to the HFM (many, many years ago!) =and= Warwick Castle (1992, my honeymoon!). :D

Lyle

Tim Colwell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
gratis
I also got a book that tells the stories of some items.
It has the story on the center crank case if any one wants to hear it let me know and I'll post away!

Peter

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2013
I also got a book that tells the stories of some items.
It has the story on the center crank case if any one wants to hear it let me know and I'll post away!
Tim,

Could you please list the items talked about in the book and details on the book? The full title author's name & publisher plus ISBN would be ideal.

David Parfitt

Registered
Thank you very much Peter, this is fascinating!! Is there any chance you could post a larger scan of the photo of the Warwick steamer?

Best wishes

David

Greg Johnson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
There were big public auctions at Henry Ford Museum in 1983 and October of 1985. There were several phone bid auctions that were not well advertised in the the early 1990's where they sold quite a few large steam engines, a couple of portable steam engines, a horse steered traction engine, a big Edison bipolar dyanmo, some early machine tools and a few gas engines.

K.O'Connell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
There were big public auctions at Henry Ford Museum in 1983 and October of 1985........
These were all teasured by Ford. Probably all of them picked out by him and quite possibly handled by him. Artifacts in a museum that have a direct connection with it's name sake, yet they sold them off? What did they put in their place, a tollerance exhibit? :mad:

Tim Colwell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
gratis
The Oscar Myer Weinermobile. I am having troubled tolerating that.
Let's not forget the 1998 dodge ram, other random 90s crap, 2000s john deere planter, and 1980s new holland combine.
Who wants to see that I can just see that crap anywhere. :mad: fools

Harry

Administrator
Staff member
Imageshack is gone for one. So many came and went bust. leaving a mess.

As to Smokstak attachments, it's a matter of finding the correct new URL and then changing them all.

As for the old photo gallery, I will have the ability to install vBulletin 4 and then install Dragonbyte vBGallery, which will import all of our original gallery photos and the Album photos. It's just a matter of time and time is currently taken by new user approval, that red number on the topmost line of the page.

When using any forum, use the attachment system as it locks them together.