• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Hi, I'm new to this forum and was wondering if this is the right place to get info on repairing a miniature oil field hit and miss engine ?

GUYMEL3

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/31/2020
Hi, I'm new to this forum and was wondering if this is the right place to get info on repairing a miniature oil field hit and miss engine ?

Paul Spence

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
Guymel3: Yes it is. Just post a picture of your engine and ask away on what you need help with. I'm near the Jersey shore but it's about 130 miles L O N G ;). Paul

Kirk Taylor

Registered
Guymel3: Yes it is. Just post a picture of your engine and ask away on what you need help with. I'm near the Jersey shore but it's about 130 miles L O N G ;). Paul
Paul,
The original poster's location is Jersey Shore, Pa, a small town in central Pennsylvania. It is farther from the Jersey shoreline than the Jersey shoreline is long.

Guymel3,
Please post a photo of your engine, or, at the very least, tell us what make of engine it is. Since you call it a "miniature", we can only assume that it is a model and can further also assume that it might be one of the mass produced models, e.g. Reid or "Bessemer", and not a one-off. Even of the Reid and Bessemer-like models there were two sizes of each. Additionally, assuming it is a model made from a set of available castings, there may have been modifications done or liberties taken by the machinist or assembler that built the engine. A photo or two will speak a thousand words.

Fred Van Hook

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
11/05/2019
Very nice model.. It looks like the contacts when made take the coil to ground When it opens the coil should unload and make a snap sound blue spark.. I don't see a condenser? Take a meter and check resistance at all the contact and connections. Probably should check the coil..

And welcome to the Stak!

J.B. Castagnos

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2006
I'm not familiar with this engine but looking I see a set of points on the crankshaft and a switch activated by the pushrod. Is the switch on the pushrod in the circuit? If so it would be a battery saver, not necessary for it to run. Can you make a drawing of your wiring circuit?

GUYMEL3

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/31/2020
Very nice model.. It looks like the contacts when made take the coil to ground When it opens the coil should unload and make a snap sound blue spark.. I don't see a condenser? Take a meter and check resistance at all the contact and connections. Probably should check the coil..

And welcome to the Stak!
Thanks for the welcome and the help. The condenser is just below the points it can be seen in the first photo and the third photo. I'm going to google how to check the coil and I will check all the connections today I'll get back to you this evening .

GUYMEL3

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/31/2020
I'm not familiar with this engine but looking I see a set of points on the crankshaft and a switch activated by the pushrod. Is the switch on the pushrod in the circuit? If so it would be a battery saver, not necessary for it to run. Can you make a drawing of your wiring circuit?
Yes the switch is in the circuit. I'll get back to you later today with a drawing. Thanks for your help !