• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Hi-Power Wind Turbine, Delco Farm Lights Windy Cousin

westtexas86004

Registered
Hello,

My name is David and I recently acquired a Hi-Power Wind Turbine. This wind turbine was made by Delco Farm Light for part of 1938 so there are not many examples to be found.

This turbine was originally wired for 1KW at 32vdc, however the windings were fried in the example that I purchased and I had the fields and armature rewound.

I had the generator rewound for 48vdc @ 1KW and I am now in the process of rebuilding the brush assembly. This is where I am hoping some of the Delco Farm Light owners can assist me.

This generator uses an odd brush arrangement. Normally brushes are positioned at 180* to each other, but in this instance the brushes are set at 90* to each other. Is this normal for Delco Generators from that time period or is this peculiar to the wind turbine generator only?

I would also like to know if anyone knows of a source for brushes and brush spring clips for this generator?

Thanks, David

"As an interesting highlight, Delco-Light developed a highly credible 1,000-watt wind charger named “Hi-Power” briefly in 1938."
http://www.windcharger.org/Wind_Charger/Farm_Electric.html

Ad here; http://www.windcharger.org/Wind_Charger/Hall_of_Fame.html

Radiomike

Registered
I don't know about Delco generators but, if you have a four pole, which you have from the photograph; then having two brushes 180° electrical apart - 90° mechanical- indicates the winding is a wave winding not a lap winding.

In a lap winding the connection from each commutator segment to the winding goes to the armature slots completes the number of turns and comes back to the adjacent segment. In a wave winding the start and finish of the winding are opposite on the commutator. Only two brushes are needed on a wave winding, more can be fitted if current density is a problem.

As for the brush gear there are guidelines on brush pressure per unit area related to the brush grade. However, the pressure is usually in the 18 - 22 kN/m² range for carbon brushes. Metallic brushes will be different.

Mike

westtexas86004

Registered
. . . having two brushes 180° electrical apart - 90° mechanical- indicates the winding is a wave winding . . . In a wave winding the start and finish of the winding are opposite on the commutator. Only two brushes are needed on a wave winding, more can be fitted if current density is a problem.

As for the brush gear there are guidelines on brush pressure per unit area related to the brush grade. However, the pressure is usually in the 18 - 22 kN/m² range for carbon brushes. Metallic brushes will be different.

Mike
Hi Mike,

Very good information. Much obliged.

Dave

Power

Registered
I would also like to know if anyone knows of a source for brushes and brush spring clips for this generator?

Any large electric motor repair shop should be able to provide appropriate springs and carbon brushes with similar characteristics. Bring old ones with you.

I often have shop match up brushes/springs for me