• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Hit & Miss Model from Banggood

Gil Garceau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2019
I am not aware if David published plans for an upright or not.

The mechanical parts are identical.

Gil

Tim Venetis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
I am not aware if David published plans for an upright or not.

The mechanical parts are identical.

Gil
I am ordering the new upright engine and I was wondering can I use antifreeze in the radiator and how much oil goes in the bottom part thanks.

Gil Garceau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2019
I am ordering the new upright engine and I was wondering can I use antifreeze in the radiator and how much oil goes in the bottom part thanks.
You can use a needle oiler to put a few drops on the big end of the connecting rod. It does not need a pool of oil in the bottom. The main bearings are needle bearings and oil will wick right in from a drop placed on the outside.

Tim Venetis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
You can use a needle oiler to put a few drops on the big end of the connecting rod. It does not need a pool of oil in the bottom. The main bearings are needle bearings and oil will wick right in from a drop placed on the outside.
I had a hard time with the engine today it is not getting fuel right it seems that the fuel tank is lower than the mixer on the cylinder. I have to make a bracket to raise the fuel tank.

Last edited:

Tim Venetis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
I had a hard time with the engine today it is not getting fuel right it seems that the fuel tank is lower than the mixer on the cylinder. I have to make a bracket to raise the fuel tank.
I took the engine off the stand and I made a bracket so the fuel tank sits higher than the inlet fitting now it runs great.

Tim Venetis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
I took the engine off the stand and I made a bracket so the fuel tank sits higher than the inlet fitting now it runs great.
The engine starts hard and I think it floods so I have to go back the way it was by removing the bracket I made.

Tim Venetis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
The engine starts hard and I think it floods so I have to go back the way it was by removing the bracket I made.
I had to reset the timing and I noticed the flywheel is souse on the shaft on the governor side and was wondering how to tighen it thanks.

Gil Garceau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2019
I had to reset the timing and I noticed the flywheel is souse on the shaft on the governor side and was wondering how to tighen it thanks.
Remove the weights, then the arms or move the collar enough to get at the 2 set screws.

Tim Venetis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Remove the weights, then the arms or move the collar enough to get at the 2 set screws.
I noticed on the engine a lot of screws heads are loose when using a good allen wrench and the flywheels keep coming loose so I tighten it and it gets loose again.

Tim Venetis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
I noticed on the engine a lot of screws heads are loose when using a good allen wrench and the flywheels keep coming loose so I tighten it and it gets loose again.
My engine is very hard to start and I would like to know how they started the older banggood engine using a electric drill thanks.

Tim Venetis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
My engine is very hard to start and I would like to know how they started the older banggood engine using a electric drill thanks.
One wire that goes to the batteries from the switch fell of but it does not seem to be a terminal connector on the wire so how was it held on thanks.

Gil Garceau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2019
I received my engine but no joy ! I couldn't get it to run.
:mad::mad:

This is not my first engine. I have over 25 engines in my collection, five built by me and currently work on my Sealion.

:)
I wish you would have known to reach out to me. I might have been able to help and I live just 15-20 minutes from Milford, CT.

Gil

Tim Venetis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
I wish you would have known to reach out to me. I might have been able to help and I live just 15-20 minutes from Milford, CT.

Gil
I have the radiator full and when I am running the engine the cylinder gets quite warm. I even open the filler cap slightly to make sure air is not trapped in the system. Once in a while the engine will seize up and have to let it cool and put some oil in the cylinder. I noticed when I removed the radiator lines there was some kind of restriction plug which went in the fitting that attaches the line to the water pump and I made sure that was clean.

eddie bedwell

Registered
Hi Tim B,
I gave up trying to get mine to run on Gasoline successfully, so I tried and have mine running on LPG.

First I added a longer taper to the standard carby needle valve--tried as part of the Gasoline attempts.
I simply use a BBQ regulator with an additional cut off needle valve in a hose line from the Reg. to the bottom of the standard carby. There seems to be enough accumulator effect in the 2.5 feet of 3/8" hose that steps down to the standard plastic hose for the engine.
I open the line needle valve about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn, spin the engine with my battery drill, and slowly open the carby needle valve until she runs very happily hitting and missing.

The engine came with a spare ignition pick-up.
The original fitted to the engine soon failed so now running on --I guess--the updated spare supplied.
A Mate has offered to help me modify this pick-up so it has extra protection for long life.
Not sure what he has in mind--this will not happen short term as he is nursing his very sick brother at present.

Will try and get a picture in due course, time poor at present.
I run most of my self built engines on LPG as it is cleaner and I feel safer.
Your thoughts may vary.
Cheers,
Eddie B.