• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Hit & Miss Model from Banggood

Tim B

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/06/2019
Eddie B thank you for getting back so soon and giving a good description of the lp set up. I was thinking of using a disposable @lb propane bottle for "kitchen" table runs.
Cheers,
Tim

eddie bedwell

Registered
Hi Team,
I have a short length of softish orange colored nylon tube that is a neat fit on the crankshaft extension--so I do not mar the crankshaft with the chuck jaws--think I may have moved the flywheel on the ignition disc side in a bit for more grip--I set the drill chuck to be a pull off fit on the tubing over the crank extension--sometimes I need to give the flywheel a boost turning by hand to get the engine turning past the first compression--run the engine in the correct Direction of Rotation and with the ignition on, open the carby needle valve until she fires up--give the drill a snappy pull off the nylon tube and on she runs, hitting and missing beautifully.

I feel the LPG setup is safer for indoors running as there is no danger of spills or vapors being ignited by gas appliance pilot flames, nearby smokers, etc.

Cheers,
Eddie B.

Tim Venetis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Hi Team,
I have a short length of softish orange colored nylon tube that is a neat fit on the crankshaft extension--so I do not mar the crankshaft with the chuck jaws--think I may have moved the flywheel on the ignition disc side in a bit for more grip--I set the drill chuck to be a pull off fit on the tubing over the crank extension--sometimes I need to give the flywheel a boost turning by hand to get the engine turning past the first compression--run the engine in the correct Direction of Rotation and with the ignition on, open the carby needle valve until she fires up--give the drill a snappy pull off the nylon tube and on she runs, hitting and missing beautifully.

I feel the LPG setup is safer for indoors running as there is no danger of spills or vapors being ignited by gas appliance pilot flames, nearby smokers, etc.

Cheers,
Eddie B.
I noticed that if I retard the timing slightly the flywheels loosen up and you have to retighten the screws.

Tim B

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/06/2019
Well, cold and damp outside today so I thought I would play in the shop with my propane torch and motor. First day I've ever ran this too!

Tim Venetis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Well, cold and damp outside today so I thought I would play in the shop with my propane torch and motor. First day I've ever ran this too!

Sounds good. My engine seems to fire twice instead of firing once like the ones you posted on youtube. it pops pops then coasts and fires twice again. what causes that.

Tim Venetis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Sounds good. My engine seems to fire twice instead of firing once like the ones you posted on youtube. it pops pops then coasts and fires twice again. what causes that.
I found out why the flywheel screws loosen up, the crank is slightly bent. The flywheel wobbles slightly. Is there a way to correct that or do you have to buy a new crank thanks.

eddie bedwell

Registered
Hi Team,
I think I recall one of my flywheels came loose too and then wobbled after tightening--that's when I discovered there are TWO grub screws holding the flywheels on--one is 180 Deg. opposite the other--then I discovered that I could tighten BOTH screws in such a way as to get the Flywheel to run true.
I feel one screw was not properly tightened at the factory so allowing the F/Wheel to come loose--seems to be OK now with both screws properly tightened--now checked periodically.

After I fixed the loose F/Wheel I also checked all fasteners for tightness.
Cheers,
Eddie B.

Clement Rook Jr.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/06/2019
has anybody come up with a way to slow these engines down to a more realistic speed? i thought i read someone used dental brace rubber bands.

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
With the compression they have, you cant slow to much or they will stall on the compression stroke. Heavier flywheels may cure that,, but you would have to make them your self.

Has the trade war changed the price/availability of these engines? I was thinking of getting a few for my kids.

Clement Rook Jr.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/06/2019
I finally got mine today after 3 months of waiting, 6 months if you count my first order that was cancelled. Everything seems ok, but the crankshaft is a little loose in the needle bearings. Anyone else notice this?

i got one of the new & improved eachine ET1 silver hit miss engines, the crank shaft is also loose in the needle bearings,is there any way to fix this ? i am thinking about taking the flywheels , gearing etc off and replace the needle bearings with bronze bushings,then put small grease-oil cups on the bearing caps. has anyone taken this assembly apart? once apart how can i get the gears,timimg etc.back together in the correct position? i dont know anything about hit miss engines. also the spark plug comes with a plastic/rubbery cover how is the red spark plug wire attached to the spark plug there is no clip or anything else there. thanks in advance!!

Tim Venetis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
The bearings are loose in mine also but it runs okay. Once you put the spark plug boot on the plug just make sure the wire has about a quarter inch bear wire on the end and push it in to the spark plug boot.

Tim Venetis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
The bearings are loose in mine also does not affect running. Put the boot on the spark plug and push the wire in to the boot.
I am putting new orings on my piston and I would like to know how to time the crank with the cam shaft thanks.

eddie bedwell

Registered
Hi Tim,
I pulled the piston out of mine due to it making brass, found piston pin was loose in both rod eye and piston and so the pin ends were gouging the liner.
I rounded the ends of the pin and staked the end of the piston pin bore with a sharp centre punch--it is doing it again so will need to rethink and maybe put solder/lead plugs in the ends of the piston pin bores.

When I retimed mine I aimed for the exhaust valve to close at TDC or just a touch after.

Cheers,
Eddie B.

Tim Venetis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Hi Tim,
I pulled the piston out of mine due to it making brass, found piston pin was loose in both rod eye and piston and so the pin ends were gouging the liner.
I rounded the ends of the pin and staked the end of the piston pin bore with a sharp centre punch--it is doing it again so will need to rethink and maybe put solder/lead plugs in the ends of the piston pin bores.

When I retimed mine I aimed for the exhaust valve to close at TDC or just a touch after.

Cheers,
Eddie B.
Thank you very much. One of the orings in the piston is not there and the other o ring is flush so I ordered new o rings.

Clement Rook Jr.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/06/2019
Hi Tim,

Cheers,
Eddie B.
Eddie B. you may want to do what is done on the maytag twin cylinder engines . the wrist pin in the piston is cut short and they have small dome shaped aluminum caps on each end .if you have access to a small lathe these can be easily made. why do you have to retime your engine?can the head be unbolted,the connecting rod unbolted from the crankshaft & the cylinder pulled out of the front of the engine ? that should not effect the timing ?
happy new year!!
clement

Tim Venetis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Eddie B. you may want to do what is done on the maytag twin cylinder engines . the wrist pin in the piston is cut short and they have small dome shaped aluminum caps on each end .if you have access to a small lathe these can be easily made. why do you have to retime your engine?can the head be unbolted,the connecting rod unbolted from the crankshaft & the cylinder pulled out of the front of the engine ? that should not effect the timing ?
happy new year!!
clement
In order to unscrew the rod bolts you had to take the bottom off the block and the crank bearings fit between the 2 haves of the block. I could not get the cylinder off the piston by unbolting the 4 bolts.

Tim Venetis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
In order to unscrew the rod bolts you had to take the bottom off the block and the crank bearings fit between the 2 haves of the block. I could not get the cylinder off the piston by unbolting the 4 bolts.
Hi I found out jmy crank is bent just before the small gear and I would like to know what is the best way to straighten it. I put it in a lathe thanks.