• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Hit & Miss Model from Banggood

eddie bedwell

Registered
Hi Team,
I dismantled most of my engine so as to tap the mounting bolt threads larger diameter and deeper in the base.
I also found one of the main bearing housing bolts was stripped--I tapped them deeper too and fitted longer bolts--I machined an alloy plate to go under the engine for the flywheels to clear the wooden board I mounted the unit to.

Anyway I retimed it as any other automatic inlet valve engine I ever worked on in nearly 40 years of playing with these old jiggers--exhaust valve to close at or as near to TDC as the gearing and valve lash settings will allow.

Thanks for the alloy plug tip as my radial engines had these--just trying to think of something as a fix for anyone without the luxury of owning a lathe like myself.

I also found my flywheel appeared to be wobbly, by re-tightening the pair of opposing grub screws, that affix the flywheels to the crank, I got it to run true with little difficulty.

Cheers,
Eddie B.

Tim Venetis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Hi Team,
I dismantled most of my engine so as to tap the mounting bolt threads larger diameter and deeper in the base.
I also found one of the main bearing housing bolts was stripped--I tapped them deeper too and fitted longer bolts--I machined an alloy plate to go under the engine for the flywheels to clear the wooden board I mounted the unit to.

Anyway I retimed it as any other automatic inlet valve engine I ever worked on in nearly 40 years of playing with these old jiggers--exhaust valve to close at or as near to TDC as the gearing and valve lash settings will allow.

Thanks for the alloy plug tip as my radial engines had these--just trying to think of something as a fix for anyone without the luxury of owning a lathe like myself.

I also found my flywheel appeared to be wobbly, by re-tightening the pair of opposing grub screws, that affix the flywheels to the crank, I got it to run true with little difficulty.

Cheers,
Eddie B.
[/QUOTHi Ed my crank shaft is slightly bent before the gear and not sure how to straighten it.E

Tim Venetis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Hi Does any one know what size o rings to get that fit on the piston? I thought it took 22x1mm but the o ring is too big diameter for the piston.

Tim Venetis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Piston o-rings are 22mm x 1mm. Oringsandmore.com

---------- Post added at 08:04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57:19 PM ----------

Oops!! 20mm x 1mm. That's what happens when I try to go off memory.
On the banggood site it says 22x1 mm but I guess the newer water cooled engines take a different size.

Scotty 2

Registered
Hello all
I just had a gander at the Banggood website and they have some interesting stuff. I showed it to Mrs Scotty and apparently she already shops there.
She's never bought me anything from there. :cry:
Cheers Scott

Tim Venetis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
tt
[/QUOTE]
Hello all
I just had a gander at the Banggood website and they have some interesting stuff. I showed it to Mrs Scotty and apparently she already shops there.
Cheers Scott
Hello all
Cheers Scott
I think the bore is 22mm but the O ring is 20mm x 1mm?
Hello all
Cheers Scott
Hello all
Cheers Scott
I think the bore is 22mm but the O ring is 20mm x 1mm?
You are right I just put 20mm by 1 mm in my engine thanks. On the 2 wires that go to the ignition module under the flywheel do they just plug in to the module because one broke off the connection if not I have to try to find a module.

JohnTaylor

Registered
My understanding that is called a hal sensor? This is what the magnet passes to make it fire the plug. Not sure if the sensor comes apart or not? I would try and take it off engine and try to take apart and solder the wires back to sensor. The blue engine plugs together but the polished engine comes all together as one part. Hope this will help you? Thanks

You are right I just put 20mm by 1 mm in my engine thanks. On the 2 wires that go to the ignition module under the flywheel do they just plug in to the module because one broke off the connection if not I have to try to find a module.
[/QUOTE]

Tim Venetis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
To remove the senser you first have to remove that round piece on the crank shaft? When you put the round piece back how to you time that pice thanks.

Tim Venetis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
To remove the senser you first have to remove that round piece on the crank shaft? When you put the round piece back how to you time that pice thanks.
I found out you can leave the round piece on the crank shaft but it is hard to get the screw back in that holds the sensor.

Tim Venetis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
I found out you can leave the round piece on the crank shaft but it is hard to get the screw back in that holds the sensor.
Does any one know there I can purchase the hal sensor? Some one told that this number would fit but they did not. I ordered them from amazon the number is 20 Pack Hall Effect Sensor Transistor for A3144 A3144E OH3144E

eddie bedwell

Registered
Hi Tim,
when we ordered our (3) engines we ordered an extra sensor as by the videos of them and descriptions of problems and mods needed for better life/performance, other peoples experiences show they can seem to have a short life --YEP, mine failed in short order and the replacement is going well--so far, touch wood.
It seems the extra we ordered seems/looks to be slightly different to the original fitment from the factory--likely an upgraded version.

I guess despite all my waffle above that Banggood have them.

Best Regards,
Eddie B.

Tim Venetis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Hi Tim,
when we ordered our (3) engines we ordered an extra sensor as by the videos of them and descriptions of problems and mods needed for better life/performance, other peoples experiences show they can seem to have a short life --YEP, mine failed in short order and the replacement is going well--so far, touch wood.
It seems the extra we ordered seems/looks to be slightly different to the original fitment from the factory--likely an upgraded version.

I guess despite all my waffle above that Banggood have them.

Best Regards,
Eddie B.
Thanks I am not sure of the number so I went on live chat and they are going to email me back about part number. I am sure other items use the same sensor but not sure on what application uses them.

JohnTaylor

Registered
Thanks I am not sure of the number so I went on live chat and they are going to email me back about part number. I am sure other items use the same sensor but not sure on what application uses them.
Tim, go to S/S Machine & Engineering ; check out Roy Sholl hall senors. You can talk with him 419-452-6042. Supper nice person to talk too. His units are supper good and you can unplug and replace any part. Sure better than the Chinese units and have the flashing timing light made on them. Please let me know if I can be of any help. John

Last edited:

Tim Venetis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
Thanks John Roy is very interesting to talk to. Really appreciate the help. I also want to thank the other members on the forum for helping me.

Tim Venetis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
I found out that banggood does not sell the hall sensor separately.

eddie bedwell

Registered
Hi Tim,
thanks for the update, I will have to talk to my friend who ordered our 3 engines along with a spare HE pick-up and spark plug for each unit.
Cheers,
Eddie B.

Tim Venetis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
I was talking to a person who builds ignitions and he told me to test the voltages of the 2 wires that go to the sensor under the flywheel. One of the wires had no voltage and the other wire had 4 volts. The wire that had no voltage had no continuity to ground. When I touched both wires together I got a spark from the spark plug wire. He also told me that a hall sensor will not work because it needs 3 wires to operate and there was only 2 wires going to the old switch that was by the magnet. He thinks they are using a reed switch connected to the 2 wires so I orded a few from Mouser part number
Mouser #:
934-MACD-14-10-30. I have to make some kind of holder but I will post my resolts after I et the swic
Mouser #:
934-MACD-14-10-30

eddie bedwell

Registered
Hi Tim,
both my pickups--that is the failed unit and the updated one in use-- have 3 wires that are colored thus:- White, Black and Red from the top, when the circuit board is mounted on the engine--this sets the black pickup blob, soldered at the back of the circuit board, facing out to the magnet--wires are facing outwards also ???
Cheers,
Eddie B.

Attachments