• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Hobart G-213

pnora

Registered
Helping a guy out with a Hobart G-213, Model AAW94512, Spec 5776-1 It has a twin cylinder Wisconsin exciter cranking model. Is this 12 or 24 volt for cranking? Where can one look at a manual? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Re: Hobart g-213

Well, without knowing anything specific about your particular machine, I'd say try it with 12 volts first. If it's not enough, the cranking relay (if it even has one) may not pull in or the engine will crank obviously too slow. It certainly won't hurt anything.

If it does turn over too slow, try 24 volts.... :shrug:

Does it have a magneto or battery ignition? Obviously battery ignition would be designed for a specific voltage.

It presumably has some means of charging the battery that will be voltage specific as well.

But I'd use judgment of cranking speed to figure out what battery voltage is correct.

Jim Tremble

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/20/2016

Helping a guy out with a Hobart G-213, Model AAW94512, Spec 5776-1 It has a twin cylinder Wisconsin exciter cranking model. Is this 12 or 24 volt for cranking? Where can one look at a manual? Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Search my posts for a Hobart welder. It will be about 3-4 years ago.

I posted info for the Hobart tech that has all the answers on Hobart.

Hope this is of help,

Jim

pnora

Registered

Thanks for the help. I did not want to take a chance hooking up two 12 volt batteries in series and making smoke. It is a mag and I don't think there is any spark. I was told as long as the mag turns it will snap and then spark no matter what speed it is turning. Ohiojoe I sent you a PM.

pnora

Registered

Thanks for all the help. The manual helped answer a few questions. Number one it is two 12 volts in series making 24 volts to crank this thing.

ohiojoe

Registered

I don't use mine enough to justify buying batteries. I just hand crank mine. I ground the mag, set the choke, crank to prime, unground the mag, and presto she starts right up. normally only takes a couple of revolutions.

pnora

Registered

He does not have the hand crank. Th crank is pinned for one. I think his main problem is no spark from the mag.