• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Holt Caterpillar engine

CaptainJohn

Registered
Has anyone got any photos of a model Holt Catapillar engine that could be posted here? Or any other data on same engine. Thanks Capt,n

maury

Registered
Re: Holt Catapillar engine

Capt,n John, I believe there was one at GEARS this year. If you Google GEARS, you could probably fin the picture. I hear it's a tough kit to build, even so, I an developing a lust for building a 4 cyl open engine like this one.

maury

Kelly Tytlandsvik

Subscriber

Here is one that belongs to a friend of mine from Minnesota. It is a real pretty engine and runs even better than it looks!

Kelly T

Kelly Tytlandsvik

Subscriber

Hi Redwing

I displayed next to Bob Manske in LeSueurr Minn one year. I think I rememeber a story about Bob had built three of these tractors. They were for the fellow who owned the Caterpillat franchise somewhere and his sons.

Kelly T

actionhac

Registered

You can see pictures of the engine and castings at "Cole's Power Models" web site. They sell the drawings and casting kit.
It is difficult to build. If you would like to build a 4 that is not as difficult, Cole's also sells the E.A. Wall 4cyl. L head and OHV 4cyl. and also the Challenger L head V8.
Any of these engines will keep you busy for a long long time.

Robert

Redwing

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/13/2013

Hi Redwing

I displayed next to Bob Manske in LeSueurr Minn one year. I think I rememeber a story about Bob had built three of these tractors. They were for the fellow who owned the Caterpillat franchise somewhere and his sons.

Kelly T

oh, I think is same guy, he was around in early 1990's? as I see him often at Mt Pleasant until mid 1990 and never see him again after that time since. I will get photos to scanned if is same engine and tractor. I remembered he from Kansas, is that was Bob?

CaptainJohn

Registered

You can see pictures of the engine and castings at "Cole's Power Models" web site. They sell the drawings and casting kit.
It is difficult to build. If you would like to build a 4 that is not as difficult, Cole's also sells the E.A. Wall 4cyl. L head and OHV 4cyl. and also the Challenger L head V8.
Any of these engines will keep you busy for a long long time.

Robert
What are the difficult parts to do on the Holt engine? I know the valves may be a trick!!! Thanks Capt,n

actionhac

Registered

I've been told it has something to do with the line boring the block for the crank or cam. And this was told to me by more than one person and these person's are expert machinists.
It can't be THAT bad, that kit has been around since before WW2. After the war Cole's reitroduced the kit with all new patterns.
The last person I talked to about it said it would be best to do this step with EDM (Electrical Discharge Machining), so maybe it will require a lot of hand work with out EDM.:confused:

Robert

Tim Christoff

Registered

there is no room to machine the lower bearing blocks with a mill so you need to do it by hand. If you mill the bottom of the block flat to spec's, put it on a flat plate. Then machine 2 steel blocks at the height that you want the lower bearing blocks to be, place them on the same flat plate, one in front and one in back then take a large mill bastard file and slowly remove the material until it is flat with the surface of the 2 steel blocks. Then you can put the top of the bearings in place and line bore the crank.

Tim Christoff
Basehor, Ks.

CaptainJohn

Registered

The Holt engine I purchased was partly done. The line boring appears to be done...I hope. the camshaft is done also but no gears. The rods are still in solid casting form as are the pistons. The cylinders are bored but no valves or valve parts? The block is bolted to a fixture that was used I believe to secure it for machining. Looks like all holes on block and cyl are tapped already. I will try to post a photo. Thanks Capt,n:bonk:

gbritnell

Registered

Several years ago I saw a Holt at NAMES and wanted to build one. I ordered a set of drawings from Cole's and found that the crankcase (as designed) is not the easiest or most accurate way of doing things. I suppose it was modeled after the original which in a 1:1 configuration would allow tooling to get inside for machining. I then set forth on my own project to design and build the crankcase in 2 pieces but still retain the original look. Before I retired I redesigned it and made a computer model of it. I then had it and most of the other parts cnc'd at my friends shop. Now that winter is approaching I will be able to get back into my shop and work on it. Here are just a couple of pictures of the crankcase and some of the other parts.
gbritnell

Attachments

Redwing

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/13/2013

gbritnell, very nice machining!

I use machining by cnc most of times, I buy about sometimes up to 3 sets of model engines kits and machining all at once. then I sell 2 off and I keep one for myself. I think hardest part is Cam, but not bad at all all do is make a 8 cams then install in cam shaft and timing it before silver blazing it a time.

or read in www.5bears.com this my favorite site I read, he post lot lot of details!... also some other websites too.

CaptainJohn

Registered

gbritnell: That is a neat way (and more easy) of making the same engine. Are you going to use cast iron sleeves. I am sure you will!!! Thanks Capt,n:bonk:

gbritnell

Registered

Yes I'm going to use cast iron for the sleeves. I have them bored already and have turned up a mandrel to mount them on to turn the O.D. concentric with the bore. I have the crank roughed out and will be starting to turn the throws shortly. I would like to have it finished by spring but I never set a timetable because you never know what else might come up. I am currently working on a model of a Mannlicher Schoenauer hunting rifle in 1/3 scale and have a few more weeks on it. I found that I'm better off if I finish one project at a time.
gbritnell

Last Subscription Date
12/10/2019

gtribnell, would love to see some pictures of the 1/3 scale rifle if possible. Sounds like an interesting project!

Redwing

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/13/2013

yep, 2 Redwing hoppers and a air cooled gas engine, I havnt a chance to start do it. too many projects about 40-50 different kits :crazy:

CaptainJohn

Registered

Kelly: Can I get your friends phone number or email. I would like to learn more how I should set up my Holt engine. Thanks Very Much.:bonk::bonk: