• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Holt Model 75 Gas Engine

Jamesk815

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
09/29/2017
Hi
I bid on the Holt 75 Model engine that was on e-bay and was the high bidder. It arrived in good shape today. Chuck Rhoades
was kind enough to send me a set of prints for the engine.
I have a couple of questions, maybe one of you guys that have one of the engines can answer them.
#1 How much oil goes in the crankcase , and what kind.
#2 what do you usually run for fuel.
Thanks
jamesk815

Heller D. Davis

Subscriber
Hello James: I put 30 non detergent oil in mine with just enough that the rods dip into the oil and I use coleman camp stove fuel from Wally World. I also added a crankcase vent to my model to relieve the pressure so it did not puke oil everywhere.

Jamesk815

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
09/29/2017
Heller
Thanks for the info. A crank case breather looks like a great idea! I well put one on my Holt . Going to try getting it running before NAMES.
jamesk815

niceonetidy

Registered
Last Subscription Date
09/02/2008
Hello James: I put 30 non detergent oil in mine with just enough that the rods dip into the oil and I use coleman camp stove fuel from Wally World. I also added a crankcase vent to my model to relieve the pressure so it did not puke oil everywhere.
Do you have any details of where you added the breather please. And did it have a oil mist control device?

Gil Garceau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2019
Cojngrats, James. Looks like a nice engine and it makes a real nice addition to your collection.

Jamesk815

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
09/29/2017
niceonetidy
Most of the Holt models that have a crankcase breather mount it on one of the crankcase side covers.
Heller Davis can better ans. your other question.
jamesk815

Gil Garceau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2019
On a small engine like that I would use Marvel Mystery Oil during break in and then
switch over to a light weight high grade synthetic such as Mobil One 0W-20 or 5W-30.

Gil

Capt...John

Registered
Capt. John
Heres the pictures I said I would post of the Holt 75 model . Got a lot of work to do on it yet , before I try to run it. It has good compression and spark so were getting there.
jamesk815
That is a very nice looking Holt 75 engine you have. The carbs on this engine can be touchy.

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
NON-Detergent will allow for a shorter break in as it will not have anti wear additives in it. For a broken in engine, i would stay with the 30Wt, but a detergent oil. Thin-multigrade oils will find any leak points, especially the synthetics. Synthetics will also make for greatly extended break in times for rings, leading to power loss and blow by until the rings seat in. The synthetics are 'too slippery' to allow proper break in.
Andrew

Capt...John

Registered
Capt. John
Heres the pictures I said I would post of the Holt 75 model . Got a lot of work to do on it yet , before I try to run it. It has good compression and spark so were getting there.
jamesk815
Did you make a video yet of your Holt engine running? I would love to see it posted here. Best Regards, Capt,n :wave:

Jamesk815

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
09/29/2017
Capt. John
I have been to busy working on other projects, and going to shows to work on the Holt. Maybe get a chance this winter.
Jim G

Capt...John

Registered
I may place my 80% finished Holt engine on E-Bay. I have lost most all my interest in about everything. I just ache to much anymore. :(

Matthew Guy Clarke

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/23/2019
I have lost most all my interest in about everything. I just ache to much anymore. :([/QUOTE]
While at a show a year ago, I saw a man missing an eye, I sure felt sorry for him, then I saw a man with one leg, but he had a spring loaded replacement, and was doing fine, but I sure felt sorry for him, more than the guy with one eye.
Then while looking at a thing at the flea market, I hear this woman voice from like 4 ' high say ," let me see that", when I turned I saw a woman with no arms, and no legs, pushed about by her doting husband.
I may bid on your motor on ebay, but would rather you keep it, just take it easy, one day at a time, be thankful to the lord you have arms and legs to ache. At different times it feels like some one is pushing needles in my joints, some times I just have to watch tv and read. I stay off the pain meds, as they make me crazier than pain too. I do what I can , and surprisingly some times have some pretty good accomplishments.

The Engineer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/13/2019
hope things go ok with the operation yep pain can sure drag you down just keep on seeing the silver lining to the cloud damm hard to see some days
i have cerable palsey now 57 years old some days i look like a staple . good friends and support are a must
try to keep that engine you spent a lot of time getting it to run and i sure enjoyed your input on here
regards from newzealand