• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Honda 7000EU NO START Fouling Spark Plugs

kirkdc

Registered
I bought a 7000EU in October...was thrilled with the fuel injected version and chomping at the bit to buy it. So I did. It ran great for a MERE 140 hours. One morning I went to start it up, hit the button and it did the slow chugalugga for about about 10 seconds and died. Tried re-starting it, nothing.

I pulled out the spark plug, sopped in gas. I grabbed a new one from the house and just plugged it into the spark plug wire to check for spark. Good spark. Hmm.

With the key off I pull-started the motor to clear out an excess gas that was lingering in the cylinder, installed the new plug and tried firing her up.

Crank crank crank crank, nothing. I pulled the new plug out, and found it smothered in fuel. Hmmm
It's not bad fuel, I ruled that out.
It seems to be an injector issue, too much fuel. I'm pretty savvy on the mechanical stuff but I don't know a lot about this newer fuel injected model and it's still under warranty so I decided not to go any further. I'll guess I'll have to load up the 280 pound paperweight and take it to a Honda shop and see what they find. Here weeeeeeee go !

Honestly, I'm pretty freaking bummed. I've always had Honda gennys and never had any real problems at all. I layed out 4500 clams only to have this thing shit the bed 2 months from purchase. I started to google about these models and was stunned to see lots of people having problems with them (circuit board issues, intermittent surges, etc, etc. This model came out around 2014-2015? And they're still having problems??? I tell ya, straight up, I'm not real happy right now. Looking back I should have bought the 6500 with a carb. For now I'm running my 20 year old EB5000 that's never puked on me or let me down.

Last edited:

kirkdc

Registered
BTW, doing a google search on these Honda 7000EU with fuel injection, there seems to a large amount of problems. I dropped it ff to the Honda dealer today. This should be fun (eye roll)

HondaATC

Registered
Sad to say but. Those Honda eu7000 generators scare me

The Kohler EFI systems on the $21 thousand dollar toro Z master mowers mess up if any moisture gets into the wiring harness at all. And will cause all sorts of problems. At 300 hours. I picked up a low hour Kohler command I'm going to convert it to Carburetor and Magneto ignition because the Kohler EFI is just too complicated.

It could be anything. But the technology is amazing. Just not perfected yet. Say 10% of those Generators messed up. Thank goodness you have a warranty i hope.

kirkdc

Registered
Damm' things have been out for 4-5 years now, ya figured Honda would have any bugs figured out by now. WTF. Total BS.

kirkdc

Registered
After sitting in the Honda shop since last Wednesday, the service gal calls me on the phone and says it's all set and ready for pick up.

I asked what was wrong with it. She said the mechanic said the O2 sensor was dirty which caused the spark plug to gas foul. She said he cleaned the O2 sensor, installed a new spark plug and it runs fine. ????

Here's the kicker: She says it's not covered under warranty. HUH? 2 months old and 120 hours on it? Not covered, WHY?

She said that because I was running it on eco-mode that the generator wasn't reaching full RPM's which caused the O2 sensor to carbon up thus fouling the plug. HUH? This is MY fault? I told her nowhere in the owner's manual does it state that you shouldn't run it in eco-mode for extended hours. And I've run my other older Honda generators in eco-mode with never a problem. She said sorry that's what the tech said.

So I owe parts and labor and none of it is covered under warranty.

Being off grid with solar power I run this genny mostly as a back-up to refresh my batteries in winter(maybe 2-3 hours every other night or so). I keep it in eco-mode unless I'm running big stuff continuously (which is rare) And I don't really pay attention to the rpm's or whether it's kicking up or down.

I'll be going down to chat with the mechanic. What a bunch of crap !

tabora

Registered
I asked what was wrong with it. She said the mechanic said the O2 sensor was dirty which caused the spark plug to gas foul. She said he cleaned the O2 sensor, installed a new spark plug and it runs fine. ????

Here's the kicker: She says it's not covered under warranty. HUH? 2 months old and 120 hours on it? Not covered, WHY?
Sounds like the dealer is full of BS. The O2 sensor is covered under the Emission Control System Warranty: http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/...PWL50975-T.pdf

Do note, however, that per the Owners Manual on Pages 30-31, the ECO mode needs to be turned off for 2-3 minutes when first starting the generator in order to properly heat the exhaust system. This is normal for any fuel injected engine with an O2 sensor feedback system.

HondaATC

Registered
I'll just stick with my cheap non inverter generators. You know the whole CONCEPT OF THE HONDA INVERTER GENERATORS IS THE ECO MODE SO IT CAN THROTTLE DOWN AND NOT USE AS MUCH FUEL.

I did notice that the eu7000 uses more fuel than a ES6500 at full load 🤔.

The best thing to charge batteries is a l48 yanmar with an alternator running at 2750 rpm.

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working
The best thing to charge batteries is a l48 yanmar with an alternator running at 2750 rpm
I am partial to a 3/4 cylinder water cooled Kubota. It seems like overkill but they are by far the longest runners out there with minimal maintenance. Many with 10,000 and some with 20,000 hours out there.

kirkdc

Registered
In summary :

Two month old-140 hour Honda 7000 puked on me. I dropped it off to the dealer. About a week later they call me - says the gennys fixed, come get it. They told me on the phone that it was my fault. NOT warranty covered, 70 bucks, parts and labor are due. The service gal AND the grease monkey stated that BECAUSE I ran the genny on eco-mode that the O2 sensor carboned up thus causing the spark plug to fail. THUS, no warranty.

I went to get the genny. The gal at the front desk again stated running it on eco-mode was the reason why the geny failed. I asked her to put that in writing on the work order. She would not. I asked to speak to the grease monkey who worked on it (he too told me a week ago that running it on eco-mode was the problem). He was out sick. I the asked for the manager and what an ass he was ( an obese redneck who could't look me straight in the eyes) He told me the same thing, eco-mode caused the prob, no warranty. I asked him to specifically put that on the work order and that I'll take it up with Honda Corp. Of course he refused.

I let him know that no where in the owners manual does it say NOT to run genny on eco-mode (ONLY in start up for a few minutes) I asked him to show me where Honda says that and I'd gladly pay the 70 bucks. Of course he refused.

He went on to say that the wrong spark plug was installed which was completely false. I asked him to show me that plug. He refused. He also said it was carboned fouled. I said HUH??? It was totally gas fouled when I pulled it out when I had troubles starting it back a few weeks ago. A total lie. I asked him if he knew the difference between a carbon fouled and gas fouled plug. He got ticked off and of course he didn't answered my question. I told him under the warranty the spark plug ad the O2 sensor are covered. He said "nope, it was due to my "lack of maintenance". He then told me to pay the bill to get back my genny and leave ------or he'd call the cops ! Reluctantly I paid the bill, knowing if the cops came they'd only escalate the situation and I'd probably lose in more ways than one.

What a chop shop.

side note: after this I called another Honda dealer. I spoke with the service desk guy and a mechanic. They both agreed it should have bee a warranty covered situation and that running the genny in eco-mode is fine and should not have caused the no-start problem. They asked me where I took it for service - I told them. They said "Yep, no surprise, we've heard about that place." They said if I have any more problems that I can bring it to them. Lesson learned. d123.jpg

Last edited:

kirkdc

Registered
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I adhered to Honda's 7000 maint schedule:

Spark plug: ---------check/adjust : every 6 months or 100 hrs. REPLACE : every year or 300 hours.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

kirkdc

Registered
remember now, at first the service gal AND the grease monkey said it was the O2 sensor that went bad and fouled the plug. AND that was because I ran it on eco-mode. But now they've changed their story.