• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Honda: Honda eu7000is and Powerhorse 7500 inverter

HouseBuilder328

Registered
I was in the market last year for a Honda eu7000is but the price increased to $4500 from an already expensive $3999. I was pretty upset and didn't buy one, didn't know if it was worth it. Looks like Northern Tool came out with a inverter generator, the Powerhorse 7500 with 7500 surge watts and 6500 running watts, which is higher than the Honda (of course, we know Honda underrates its numbers) at $2999.

The noise level from initial reviews seem to be very low. Is this an okay option as a powerful inverter generator?

This generator isn't getting used everyday - it is for hurricane and ice storm emergencies in NC. I am looking for an inverter due to the noise level and better harmonics.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200756204_200756204?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Generators > Inverter Generators&utm_campaign=Powerhorse&utm_content=74006&gclid=Cj0KCQiApaXxBRDNARIsAGFdaB_Ju2dHynclcOCnfob1iK1cR3ePFwUaJ9zd_7fYPbKavjqBZ6pad1waAh33EALw_wcB

Wayne 440

Registered
I have zero experience with either set. But my (admittedly not asked for) advice is to consider buying a plain old run of the mill, easier and cheaper to fix when it breaks 3600 RPM 2 pole generator for "hurricane and ice storm emergencies". I would probably buy a Winco or similar IF I was buying a new one.

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working
I echo what Wayne said, and also add that I tell people to buy Honda only. Everything else is a roll of the dice as to whether it will last a hundred hours, and have any support. All made in China.

HouseBuilder328

Registered
Understood about the low use of my generator.

Also, what makes the Powerhorse 7500 made in China different than the Honda eu7000is made in India? Is it because Honda's factor in India would have better quality control since it's a Honda branded product?

Another thing, I'm sure they kept the cost of the Powerhorse 7500 down because it has a carb, and is NOT fuel injected.

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working
It's because Honda has a name to uphold and a dealer network. "Powerhorse" will be forgotten in a couple of years from now. It may work for you or it may not. But the warranty will likely not be worth much.

turtmaster

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
Birken, I have one of the older versions, of the 3600 RPM, powerhorse generator, non- inverter, with the 420cc, "7000w" from Northern Tool, anyways, Northern Tools, has an in-house, repair center at each location. Unlike "Hazard fraught",

Anyways, powerhorse is Northern Tools, in-house brand.

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working
Interesting, I have never seen or heard of Powerhorse, around here, North Star is Northern Tool's brand but there are no locations.

turtmaster

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
Interesting, I have never seen or heard of Powerhorse, around here, North Star is Northern Tool's brand but there are no locations.
It's their middle-end, in-house line, Northstar is their top-of-the-line, "powerhorse" is there middle of the line, / high-end Chinese, assembled in China, then they have their cheap-end Chinese house brand "Ironton" with very limited model variety, two different generators "4kw" and I think "7kw", and two different engines 208cc and 420cc, and a couple different electric water pumps,

I have a couple of things of Northern Tools, equipment, the older style of powerhorse generator, 7kw/420cc, before they updated the model line, two or three years ago,
I also have their 208cc, Ironton brand engine, on a pressure washer that I "built", and their 420cc powerhorse engine, and another pressure washer that I built, both pressure washers, are with triplex pumps.
And I also have a Northstar, pressure washer add-on heater/hotbox.

Anyways, I haven't had problems with any one of those, except with the generator, and the mounting assembly bracket, of the electric starter, that was mostly my fault,

I tried to hook up a remote control key fob, transmitter and receiver, that was faulty, to the generator, and when the remote reception got four, the remote receiver circuit , would pulse, the starter on and off fairly rapidly.