• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Honda's New Inverter Generator EG2800I

Shawsplace56

Registered
That is pretty cool and not to expensive for a Honda. I agree being able to parallel would be great. I am going to the Honda shop at some point this week Maybe they will have one in stock and can get a good look at one.thanks for the heads up

robertathonda

Registered
Maybe they will have one in stock and can get a good look at one.thanks for the heads up
The new open-frame inverter models (EG2800i and EB2800i) are shipping to dealers this week...

What's the difference? The EG is marketed for home back-up, and features a 30A receptacle for connection to a transfer switch.

The EB is for commercial/construction/rental use, and is OSHA-jobsite approved, with full GFCI outlets and is neutral bonded to frame.

More here:

http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/campaign/ofi-generators

- - -
I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
Robert@Honda

robertathonda

Registered

Robert .
looking at it does the inverter come off the Magneto side or PTO side. From what i can tell from the photos. it seems to be coming off the Mag side like the EU2000i. just looking thanks
It's a similar engine/gen layout to the EU2000i...the GC160 engine used on the new generator models have a rotor that acts as the flywheel, which has the cooling fan and pull-starter all mounted on the same side.

Here's a 360 view on this page where you can see all the sides:

http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/EB2800iXA

- - -
Robert@Honda

Shawsplace56

Registered
I was at my Local Mower shop the other day and he sells Honda Generators. He was too busy when i was in there the other day so i didnt ask him about if he was getting any in ,
I see Robert@honda they have a little cap over the PTO end then i see the recoil on the inverter side. I like the idea of the EG inverter , But what am waiting for is the trickle down of the fuel injection. has there been any whispers on that , How is that working out on the 7000i ? i really have not heard any complaints. Does the fuel injection system solve the crappy gas issues ? I work on many Honda engines during the summer carb issues are always there :shrug:

robertathonda

Registered
I was at my Local Mower shop the other day and he sells Honda Generators.

But what am waiting for is the trickle down of the fuel injection.
The new EG2800i and EB2800i are just shipping this past week, so it will take a bit of time for dealers to get them and be up to speed.

Can't share any specifics on future FI products, but surely it is the way of the future.

What really makes it 'work' with less-than-prefect gasoline is the 40 psi fuel pump; when it literally injects fuel into the cylinder at such a high pressure, there's no slime or gunk in the world to slow it down. Honda is so confident of this, products with FI don't have a fuel drain.

- - -
Robert@Honda

debe

Registered
Ive seen stale fuel stop a EFI vehicle, so ime sure it will happen to EFI small engines. Its not a magic cure for stale fuel.

AlexV

Registered
Ive seen stale fuel stop a EFI vehicle, so ime sure it will happen to EFI small engines. Its not a magic cure for stale fuel.
Agreed. There's no getting around that gasoline today with ethanol is a game changer for the worst for every gas engine. IMO Honda dropped the ball by discontinuing the EB12d. A 12,000 watt diesel generator today would sell very well for those of us with a home backup application who have central A/C. Also Diesel is much safer to store, and stores longer than today's gasoline. Soon E-85 will be jammed down our throats by our masters in Washington. Generator ownership has grown quiet a lot in the last few years.

Wayne 440

Registered
...IMO Honda dropped the ball by discontinuing the EB12d. A 12,000 watt diesel generator today would sell very well for those of us with a home backup application who have central A/C....
+1. By the way, 12KW won't run my house, but 24KW will do nicely. Add a parallel option, please.

I know where there is an EB12D that has been sitting outdoors partially sheltered for at least 10 years, untouched. Belongs to a govt. agency that "can't" sell it, and will almost surely sit there until it turns to scrap (if not already).:rant:

AlexV

Registered
+1. By the way, 12KW won't run my house, but 24KW will do nicely. Add a parallel option, please.

I know where there is an EB12D that has been sitting outdoors partially sheltered for at least 10 years, untouched. Belongs to a govt. agency that "can't" sell it, and will almost surely sit there until it turns to scrap (if not already).:rant:
That's a shame. The EB12d is a magnificent machine for its day. To see it rust away is a crime.

robertathonda

Registered
I know where there is an EB12D that has been sitting outdoors partially sheltered for at least 10 years, untouched. Belongs to a govt. agency that "can't" sell it
Sounds about right. I recall about many years ago when Honda sold off the last few EB12D units to a dealer who had a contract with the DoD / Air Force.

Honda dropped the EB12D for a slew of reasons...it was the only diesel model, and demand was very, very low. It very expensive. The engine would probably have a tough time meeting future emissions regulations without costly changes. They were only built in Japan, and the US dollar was falling vs. the Japanese Yen...etc. etc.

FYI, Honda still makes a number of diesel/kerosene/gasoline generators, but they are just not sold in the USA; see a few of them at the Honda distributor's site in India:

https://www.hondasielpower.com/products/EX2400S.aspx

- - -
Robert@Honda

QUOTE=Jim McIntyre;1324379]EG2800 - What's the max rated kVA, for motor starting purposes?[/QUOTE]

I recall reading all current Honda generators have a power factor of 1, and I believe that means the kVA rating is the same as the wattage; so, in the case of the EG2800i (and sister model EB2800i) that would be 2800 kva.

- - -
Robert@Honda

Fred M.

Registered
Can't share any specifics on future FI products, but surely it is the way of the future.

What really makes it 'work' with less-than-prefect gasoline is the 40 psi fuel pump; when it literally injects fuel into the cylinder at such a high pressure, there's no slime or gunk in the world to slow it down. Honda is so confident of this, products with FI don't have a fuel drain.
Robert-

Are you saying that the new generator is fuel injected?

Also, how does its noise rating compare with the other inverter generators. It appears to be 9 dB worse than my EU6500i.

Fred

robertathonda

Registered
Robert-

Are you saying that the new generator is fuel injected?

Also, how does its noise rating compare with the other inverter generators. It appears to be 9 dB worse than my EU6500i.

Fred
Sorry for any confusion, Fred, but I was responding to comments about the EU7000is, which is fuel-injected. The new EG2800i and EB2800i generators both have a carburetor.

The new models are an 'open frame' design, and are not fully-enclosed like your super-quiet EU6500is. So, their noise levels are higher, 69 dB(A) @ rated load, 61 dB(A) @ 1/4 load.

- - -
Robert@Honda