• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Honeywell Inverter Generator

John Newman Jr.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/10/2019
Friend brought me the title unit to look at.
Honeywell HW2000i
Had fuel issues - Crap in the tank, fuel pump & carb.
Sorted all that out. Had to by-pass the primer due to split bulb. Unfortunately that part is NLA. Read about other people's fix for that and took it out of the loop and installed a short copper line in its place. All it does is work the diaphragm on the fuel pump to fill the bowl.
Runs great now, but has low output. It shows between 48 - 50 volts with or without a 100w light bulb plugged in. Frequency holds steady at 59-60 Hz. I would expect that being an inverter unit, but why the low voltage?
Any clues?
Thanks...

Attachments

armandh

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
09/02/2010
Re: Honeywell Inverter Genny

john

I would suspect that the throttle is not being opened sufficiently or other fuel related issue

at the PM alternator slow speed begets low HZ and low volts
rectified; just low volts, "inverted"; low volts at the correct HZ

try bringing the engine speed up a little and watch the voltage

if the volts come up and HZ stay 60 +/- then throttle control problems.

of course if the throttle is already pushed full open then it is likely a developing HP issue

Last edited:

John Newman Jr.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/10/2019
Re: Honeywell Inverter Genny

Can't get to anything to put a mechanical tach on it, but it does seem to be humming right along. 5000 rpm is pretty high, though. I think I have a 'Tiny Tach' somewhere that picks up pulses from the spark plug wire. Have to find that and see how fast it is actually turning.

Seafarer12

Registered
I was going to say sounds like one of the IGBT'S or whatever it uses for switching died so its not making full voltage. It could be a bad solder joint or connection. I have never heard anything good about those Honeywell inverter generators.

1936JDB

Registered
While I don't have anything technical to add, I will say something nice about the Honeywell. I have the same model, bought it to run a PA system outside. Mine must have at least a couple 100 hours run time, and probably twice that. My boy and his cousin used it for lights and heat in their cabin. They camped very often, and ran the Honeywell 10-12 hours most nights. Other than oil changes, the only trouble it ever gave me was the rope is in an odd place, and if not set somewhere high like a truck tailgate, its easy to fray and break. If that happens, its no fun to fix. It was also always a hard starter cold. After it had run enough hours that I didn't figure I was out much either way, I drilled a tiny hole through the case and air box. All you need is the spray tip and straw from a penetrating oil can. Put those on a can of ether, and give it a quick shot. Now it starts fine. :O

Last edited:

1936JDB

Registered
Go figure. I pulled the old Honeywell out of the garage today since it's so nice out and tried to start her. It had been a couple years, and the fuel was stale. New gas and a shot of ether and off she went. Ran a little rough for awhile, then took off a ran well. But no voltage output... Guess I'll have to open her up and look around. I guess you never brag up a pos that everyone else hates, but yours runs fine... :bonk: