• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Hornsby gas engines, Murtoa

Eric Schulz

Registered
Last Subscription Date
09/02/2009
Because the Murtoa Freezing Works engines were mentioned recently, I decided to show you what they look like. They have been fitted with carburettors so that they can be run on petrol.

More information can be found at oldengine.org/members/kennedy/murtoa/murtoa.htm Some information is out of date. The engines are run every year and have been painted since that article was written. Lance Altmann is no longer with us, and his engines are at the Wheatlands Warracknabeal Museum.
Youtube video youtube.com/watch?v=so0N3U_ClT4

Eric

Attachments

Paul Richardson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2020
It's an excellent display Eric,to see the engines running.I attended the rally there at Murtoa,when the engines were run together again for the first time.I recall some small teething problems with the carburettor arrangement.I wonder how often they are started and run these days?
The stick shed across the road was something of interest as well at the time,but I think it was off limits at the time?

AussieIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2020
Thanks Eric, I too have seen these engines run.Very impressive and certainly worth a visit. I think they are run at the clubs annual rally,at least they were when I visited. My brother is a member there. Paul, the stick shed is open to public more often these days. It's massive inside and to think it was once full of wheat is staggering. There was more than one stick shed as well I believe.

AussieIron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2020
Here's a photo,but it is impossible to get an idea of the size of the shed from a picture. Look it up and go and have a look. You might want to tie it in with the rally and kill two birds with the one stone!

Attachments