• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Hot Tube Burner Flame poor

Jerry Toews

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/22/2020
I am having trouble getting a good hot flame on the hot tube on a small Flickinger Gas Engine. I am using a bbq grill regulator on a propane bottle. Is that the correct pressure? If I open the valve on the feed line to the nozzle it blows the flame away from the burner. Do I need more air inlet around the base of the hot tube?? Any suggestions will be welcome. THANKS a bunch

Heins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
If you increase the diameter of the pipe after the propane comes out before the propane mixes with air, it will slow the propane down.

Dwayne Fuller

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Jerry, on my Webster inverted, I ran the hot tube burner on tank pressure and used the bbq regulator for the carb.

DieselAddicted

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
I had fits trying to get my Myrick Eclipse running with various BBQ regulators as I wanted to keep the OEM single feed set up. At the suggestion of somebody here I adapted an Acetylene regulator to the propane tank and set the pressure at 1 Lb and it works great. I still needed an accumulator to even out the needs of the engine but the adjustable regulator was the key to making it all go.

Jerry Toews

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/22/2020
THANKS for ALL your replies. It was most helpful. Now I have a good strong flame that makes the tube red quite easily. The orfice I was using was threaded 1/4 inch male and I put a bell reducer from 1/4 to 3/8 and drilled 7 quarter inch holes around the bell reducer to give more air where the propane was coming out the pilot and then using 3/8 inch pipe to the chimney and it all works well as it should. THANKS again for ALL your tips and suggestions!!! It was all most helpful, THANKS, jerry