• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Hot tube insulation

bench

Registered
Do I need to insulate the hot tube??
If so where can I get some and do I place inside the tube?
I do have vent holes at bottom but on the side and do not want to plug them up.

Kirk Taylor

Registered
Do I need to insulate the hot tube??
If so where can I get some and do I place inside the tube?
I do have vent holes at bottom but on the side and do not want to plug them up.
As Bill stated, an insulated chimney will require only a fraction of the gas that a non-insulated one will. The insulation also protects the chimney itself from excess heat. Line the inside of the chimney and cut or punch holes in the bottom to correspond with the vent holes. If you have previously run the burner without insulation, you will be amazed by the difference that the insulation makes.

IronworkerFXR

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/06/2020
I tried using fiberglass header wrap around a tube I inserted into the chimney, it helped some but when I removed it to add a second wrap , the bottom 2" had turned to glass...... now it was during a time when I was still figuring out hot tube setup. But for the same money I'd go with the ceramic sheeting ...

Steve Webre

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
12/11/2019
Depends on the engine. We have a 20HP Simplex that runs all day with a "black" hot tube (at night you can barely see it glowing). With any sort of insulation, it runs too hot and the engine starts hitting early after 20 minutes or so. At that point you have to turn down the hot tube flame so much that the wind blowing it out becomes a problem. Experiment and bit and have a blast!