• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Hotel Canceled in Portland

FredsSleds

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/13/2019
January 4th I made 2 reservations thru Booking.com for rooms during the swap and show in Portland. Both my reservations were canceled by the hotel and they said that the website booked rooms they didn't have. But, for double the money they did have a room for me? WTH, Has anybody else had this problem?

AKMark

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/02/2020
Re: Hotel canceled in Portland

Is it in the path of the eclipse? Everything is sold out here in Oregon :uhoh:

Power

Registered

January 4th I made 2 reservations thru Booking.com for rooms during the swap and show in Portland. Both my reservations were canceled by the hotel and they said that the website booked rooms they didn't have. But, for double the money they did have a room for me? WTH, Has anybody else had this problem?
They figure why rent room to you at a discount price less website commissions when they can rent every room they have for at least double the money with no commissions.

Russell Walker

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
08/25/2019

Sounds like a lot of people at the swapmeets.no prices on any thing different price depending on your looks. I just pass right by when no prices on the stuff.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/10/2020

^ I hate that! I wish EVERYONE would pass right on by unpriced stuff! A swap meet or flea market is NOT an auction!

Tim B

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/22/2020

no price, no sale. Hate the "make offer" signs also.

gnucklehead

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019

Complain to booking.com.. Your booking is a contract, and what they are doing is Racketeering.

Steve Kunz

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/23/2020

One time I booked a room with Super 8 on their web site. When I got there the hotel wanted to charge me almost double the price that I was quoted when I booked it. I did not argue with the hotel, I figured the young gal working the desk did not know any better. I went ahead and paid it, when I got home I contacted Super 8 and they refunded the difference.

FredsSleds

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/13/2019

Complain to booking.com.. Your booking is a contract, and what they are doing is Racketeering.
I did call and complain, unfortunately computer problems happen!! LOL, Its all a scam, they said they would help me find another hotel, they don't get it, THERE ARE NONE!!! that's why I did this in January. I just pick a day and drive down for the day, usually just to buy a fish sandwich!! LOL

Doug Oldenburg

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/02/2019

no price, no sale. Hate the "make offer" signs also.
I always ask what they want....& if they say "Make Offer" I tell them I can't Buy & sell it both.....& if they don't say an asking price, just walk away. :shrug:

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019

Yea it's usually better to just keep on walking rather than trying to guess what they think it's worth. No matter what you offer they try to shame you into giving more by carrying on as if your trying to low ball them no matter how much you offer. The ones that really tick me is the ones that give you a high asking price and you tell them too high and move on then let the guy behind you have it for half as much as they wanted from me. One old fellow had some common mags in the bed of his truck and some were decent some junk. Asked about a couple of the better ones, he wanted 50 ea my choice and it was firm or no sale. well that wasn't the worst but a bit high for the shape so I said too much for me. The guy behind me hollers " I'll give ya $10. ea for the big ones!" The old bugger took it no questions! I voiced my distain and said what the Hell, that's one fifth of what you demanded from me! Oh well he's got cash was the reply. Well why's his money any better than mine, so I told where he could put those mags. If your going to sell in those swap meets, be fair, lets not play those crappy tricks.

gnucklehead

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019

I did call and complain, unfortunately computer problems happen!! LOL, Its all a scam, they said they would help me find another hotel, they don't get it, THERE ARE NONE!!! that's why I did this in January. I just pick a day and drive down for the day, usually just to buy a fish sandwich!! LOL
It's such a crock.. The fine print probably protects them. Did they get paid back in January? Funny how that part of the computer system worked just fine.. Share your experience, complain, trash them wherever you can. Booking.com and the hotel/motel

Maybe look for something a little further out.. Big events are complicated.

Interesting reading here
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/travel/booking_com.html

Mitch Malcolm

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
01/14/2020

Please dont be to fast to walk by stuff thats not priced often there is a reason my stuff or almost all of it is priced in the free catalog or simply by asking and if I get stopped by the DOT I am exhibiting till they find a price on something :D

Paul Searl

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/20/2018

I was at Baraboo last year and saw a guy who occasionally has interesting things. He's a hard seller and not someone I really like dealing with, but hey if hes got interesting items I'll try. as I walked up, I heard him giving prices on an R&V pinback, an RIPC letter opener and something velie, I don't recall what. came back later and saw they hadn't sold so asked the price to be sure what they were, they were on the very high end but thought maybe there'd be negotiation room. the pinback had doubled in price, the letter opener was priced at $300 now and the velie item had almost doubled in price. I think I actually laughed at him as I walked away. if its not marked, its usually sucker bait.

Russ Hamm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/12/2024
Is this thread about hotels or flea market crap with no prices? LOL:shrug:
Both :D
I brought stuff to the two cylinder swap meet in Wichita for many years with a friend, one year we decided to mark up some items that hadn't sold the previous years and guess what happened, yes, much of it sold for more than we were asking before.
One year i took two common one dollar bills and laid them on the table with one marked 50 cents and the other one marked 1.50. Lots of people picked them up and looked them both over closely but nobody asked or made an offer for hours. Finally one guy asked what the difference between the two was. I told him i would sell both for 2 dollars and he laughed and walked off. That evening i told the wife the swap meet went so bad i couldn't sell a dollar for 50 cents.:D:D:

slip knot

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/27/2019
Back on topic,,, Go to the social networks and start bashing the Booking .com website. nothing attracts attention faster than negative feedback. these places live and die by feedback. feedback is the "fine print" for the consumer.

My wife is very anti facebook but she'll look at a restraunts feedback before we go. if there are several bad comments we'll go somewhere else.

Steve Kreiner

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/08/2020
Back on topic,,, Go to the social networks and start bashing the Booking .com website. nothing attracts attention faster than negative feedback. these places live and die by feedback. feedback is the "fine print" for the consumer.

My wife is very anti facebook but she'll look at a restraunts feedback before we go. if there are several bad comments we'll go somewhere else.
It's amazing how people get off topic.

Contaucreek

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2017
When they announced Wallendas tightrope walk over NF I called and booked a room. Upon arrival a few months later the price had tripled due to the event. I gave my confirmation number and stood my ground until I got my original price.
Hotel prices are fluid, like the stock market. Tourist areas can see steady change through the day based on demand and availability.