• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

How about some Rumbling Rumelys?

30Advance

I thought it might be nice to see a few pictures and stories of some Rumely Steamers, What do you say?
I have a 1900 M. Rumely 15hp. but no digital photo. I think Gary has one or two photos of it, maybe he will post it on for me? I restored this engine back in the mid 80's. It ran at our 2000 show and was the feature engine, being 100 years old!:D
I would like to know if any other early-style 15 Rumelys exist with the flywheel and water tank inside the right rear wheel. I have heard of a few 12s and 20s. I know of one other 15hp that used to be in Norwalk, WI. I don't know if it is still there or not.:shrug:
Thanks,
Dave

David,
Young friend, this is a very good idea... Posting a Rumely thread. First of all, David, you or anyone else can go into my "library" gallery and open a picture, drag on the URL (I think that is what this is, right Craig?) making it blue, click on copy, then paste it on YOUR reply in a thread. i.e. You can use MY pictures where YOU want to!

I thought it would only be fitting to post first, the picture of the late Clyde Corley sitting on the rear deck of your 15hp Rumely, since you got it from him.

This other one of the late Austin Monkon your Rumely at Lewistown one year, kind of fits here too, since you and I both knew Clyde and Austin so well.
Gary;)

Last edited:

Mark Thompson

Glad to finally see a Rumely thread! Wouldn't be right to help start this thread without a picture of Rumely's pretty somebox door.

-Mark Thompson

Dave,
I have these pictures of Rumelys. This one was the one Oscar O. Cooke owned at his Oscar's Dreamland, near Billings years ago.

This is of Randy E. Schwerin's double 20hp at Sumner, Iowa.

This is one I took of the 36hp Rumely at Rollag in 2005. That other contraption, that burned that smelly coal oil and other hydrocarbons - producing smoke eye searing exhaust - behind the 36hp, was another contraption that Dr. Rumely's later Advance-Rumely produced and sold a bunch of.

This is Jack Rutherford's Rumely strawburner threshing in northeastern Montana years ago.
Gary

Last edited:

Mark Thompson

Dave,

Sorry, I don't have any pictures pertaining to early M. Rumely's, but thought I would post a picture of a very late M. Rumely.

This is my 1914 20HP M. Rumely single numbered 6723. It has a Gould "balanced valve" in place of a "D" valve and the standard Arnold reverse. The engine is 10" x 10 1/4" @ 175lb. mwp.

Yep, it is a big fat ugly pig of an engine, but boy it is made heavy and yep it is all mine. Other than my wife, I have never been much of one for pretty anyways.

I had to sell my little 9 horse Case to get it (this wouldn't be much of a thread without the word "Case" in it somewhere).

I sent Jonas Stutzman to look at it before closing the deal. After ultrasounding the boiler, Jonas said, "If you want a Rumely engine, you better buy this one as this boiler is near perfect".

Engines History:

From what I understand, the engine was puchased by Roberts Construction in Lincoln, Nebraska. They used the engine to provide steam for a pile driver. Then it was put in one of their buildings until the late Harold Ottaway purchased it.

The engine sat at Harold's until a man here in Ohio purchased it, then sold it to another man here in Ohio, then I bought it.

From what I understand, the engine has only been fired once or twice in all these years since Roberts Construction used it.

Things to do:

Currrently, I am replacing the flues.

I need to repaint the engine and boiler, install new feedwater piping, make new water tanks, clean up the Gould valve and it should be ready to go. The original cylinder cover and makers plate is not pictured, but in a box.

I have parts to the canopy, hope to make one this year or next.

-Mark Thompson

Mark Thompson

Gary,

The Rumely engine at Oscar's now resides in Colorado. The engine was on the RFD channel's feature at Mt. Pleasant. I think the footage was taken 5 to 7 years ago.

Thank you for posting a picture as I wondered what it looked like before the current owner painted it. The current owner has the engine Rumely green instead of the traditional red. He said it was originally green, now I know.

-Mark Thompson

JMathews

Here is a pic of a 16 HP engine mounted on a 20 hp bolier and yes it did leave the factory that way. I spent a lot of time on this little engine through the years.

Attachments

30Advance

Thanks Gary for posting the photos of my Rumely and some others. I like seeing those early ones, Big ones, ah heck......any ones!!!!:crazy: (engines, that is) I agree with the hydrocarbon belching object, but they are unique.
My old Rumely is S/N 3587 in case anyone is wondering. The smoke box door was shattered when I got it and I would like to get one made for it. I am also missing the upper and lower halves to the crosshead pump. The gear cover sheet metal is missing and the Ring around the top of the smoke stack. Otherwise my engine is original including the flues. (It looks to be a factory beading job on them and they don't leak!):shrug:

Mark, I think you have a fine Rumely. It isn't always the case to find any engine with a really good boiler!! I have had my Advance repaired but my 75 Case boiler is very good. My Rumely boiler is very good and shows no signs of thinning with UT tests.

Jim, Did 4332 Rumely come from Norwalk, WI? I wrote letters to a young man, about my age (21 in 1986), and he had a complete 15hp. I was restoring mine at the time and needed some help. I don't know the s/n of his engine. He stopped writing me back so I lost track of it. Mabe that one is it. The restoration looks 'top notch'!!!);)
Thanks so much for the photos!

Well, keep the Rumely stuff coming! and Thanks again to everyone for your photos and stories.

Dave

Ross Clarke

Sponsor
Well this thread definately has to have this picture.
Taken at Wauseon 2003.
L to R
25 HP double of Denis Rupert
30 HP double of Norm Stevens
36 HP double of Rollag
all hooked to a 50 bottom plow
My brother and I had the great honour of operating the 36 during the show.
The Case boys may have pulled more but as Graham Sellers (man on the left with his back to the camera) said, we did it first!!!! and he was one of the Case boys.

It was quite a weekend.

Ross

Attachments

Mike McKnight

Yep, it is a big fat ugly pig of an engine, but boy it is made heavy and yep it is all mine. Other than my wife, I have never been much of one for pretty anyways.

-Mark Thompson
Mark, don't you remember what Forrest Gump always said about "Purty is as Purty does"?;) There's a thing to be said about a big 'ol chunky engine! :D I kinda tend to like ol' Chunky big stripedy kitty cat engines myself....ain't nothing lean lookin' about my 22 HP G/S.....But MANNNNN do I LOOOVEEEE that engine!!!!!!!:brows:

Mike

I like all steam engines, but I'm partial to the Rumely Products. Advance, Rumely, and Advance Rumely and all that go with them. I was screwing around last night and scanned some more of my pictures. This time of some Rumely engines. Please forgive my scanning abilities.
Thanks,
Warren Bellinger

This poor scan shows a 12 horse engine threshing.

Attachments

Here is a picture of a 36 Rumely breaking with 12 plows. This picture reminds me of a story my wifes Grandpa Lyle told me one time. When he was young, he was out West and an Indian was confused about the prarie being plowed up. The Indian said to Lyle " The dirts on the wrong side?" I always found that kind of humorous.
Thanks,
Warren Bellinger

Attachments

The last picture I have today is a black and white of the 3 Rumelys and the 50 bottom plow event in 2003 at Wauseon, Ohio. I feel fortunate to be involved in all 3 of the big plowing events the past few years. Rantoul, Illinois as an operator, Wauseon as a director of the Rumely Club, and at Rollag sitting in the back of Ross Clarke's pick up with Ross, his wife, and Dennis Ruppert. We had a great time watching the 3 "E" Oil Pulls going around and around with the 50 plows while quenching our thirst.
Thanks,
Warren Bellinger

Attachments

Ross Clarke

Sponsor
Warren

Those are great pics.
Rollag was a hoot. After chasing those E's around the field, having them come right past the pickup on that last pass is something I will never forget.
I relive it thru the video every once in a while.
Wauseon tends to be a bit of a blurr as we worked hard and played hard all weekend. It was pretty stressful the first day.
I sure wish I could have been at Rantoul.

Ross