• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

How about some Rumbling Rumelys?

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
Hi Beth, Being an old fart and computer illiterate this is my first go at posting A photo.If it works Ill explain it.
It worked! This is the differential gear for the 36 Rumely. This machine was scraped during WW II . The scrappers left a lot of it there . The 4 wheels and the extension rims all became flower boxes. The differential shaft had its gear sledgehammered off leaving the hub between the platters. The old hub with two spider gear pins is on the bucket in the photo. So where do I find a huge gear like this ? All of the above was on a farm at Gleichen in southern Alberta. One of the 4 mill sites was on the north side of Prince George BC about 800 miles away.The late Tom McLennan helped drive the 36 Rumely the 15 miles to the mill in 1942 where it ran until the late 40s When a diesel engine was installed the Rumely was scrapped on the spot. There was no value to scrap in that back country so the pieces were pushed over the side with the sawdust. Tom helped in the scrapping so knew where the parts were . When he and the late Harry Burt were putting together the 36 which is now at Beaverlodge Alberta They couldn't find a differential for it at the three other mill sites. in1978 Tom wanted to dig for the one he buried in 1949 at the PG site but the new owner of the property wouldn't hear of it. In 1993 when I was gathering 36 parts a new owner had bought the property. When Harry and I went to visit him he welcomed an opportunity to get the bush cleared and see what was buried there So we loaded our excavator on our lowbed for the 500 mile trip. The first piece dug up was a rear wheel which is today on Gerred Ruble's restored 36 Rumely. In fact I supplied him with all 4 wheels last year. About 12 feet down up came the differential gear complete with spiders all to fit nicely onto the Gleichen diff shaft. I laid about 40 pounds of 7014 rod onto the bull pinions to bring them back to spec. These are big pieces 12 inches in dia. with 8 inch teeth weighing 120 pounds each. The diff gear is 6 inches wide and 54inches in diameter. Cheers

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
Further to my last post, here is a tip for anyone out there putting together a 110 Case .I am sure like a lot of this old stuff, parts sources are drying up. The Beaverlodge 36 Horse Rumely has a 110 Case differential in it . They would love to find the proper Rumely one. At the time Tom and Harry cobbled together the Case one so that it would drive on the right hand wheel. The 110 Case one is smaller. They leave it belted to the mill because it really cant be driven . Now the Rumely one is probably harder to find, but you never know what's out there. Here is a brief description. Main gear is 54 inches Dia by 6 inches wide part no F 550. Bull pinions are 12 inch with 8 inch teath . Shaft is five and a half inches in dia with an overall length of 6 feet. Go for it Case guys!

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
Here is two photos of the 36 Rumely differential ready to go onto the boiler. The other is the lower cannon bearing. These 4 bearings took 120 LBS of babbit . Each cap is 90 LBS. and is fastened with 6 one and a quarter inch capscrews. Cheers.

Caleb Carpenter

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/15/2016
The 36 is just like my 25 only bigger! I had the cap off my differential shaft. The babit looked good just needed cleaning and to make new shims as mine were rotted away.

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
Caleb now that you mention it my G.S. has hardwood shims in the bearing caps./ Here is a couple shots of the babitting. We made one sixteenth aluminum shims which served as dams for the babitt. After we Xed the caps shimed them to about 10 thou fit. Cheers.

Attachments

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
We used the shaft for the lower pour then turned a five and a half inch dia. sleeve to pour the cap The old square asbestos steam pecking makes great dams. Heated the castings to about 400 degrees and the babitt to about 800 degrees checking it with a infrared heat gun.This all turned out well. Cheers.

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
Here are a couple of photos of a 36 Rumely wheel with a new old stock Bull Gear coming out of the shop. Now you ask where did the NOS gear come from? It was another stoke of good luck. A few years ago a friend called me on his cell phone from a farm auction in northern Alberta to tell me there was a huge gear there which was coming up for sale within the hour . He had no idea what it was for but with the big lugs on the one side thought it maybe a steamer bull gear. While on the phone I looked up the part no for the 36 Rumely gears and sure enough that no F 547 was on the gear. So my next reaction was "Ron sit on the gear and don't let anyone else buy it" If that gear could speak it would be an interesting story how it got from the Rumely foundry to our shop in just over 100 years. These wheels are 5,300 LBS. each. I was also very fortunate to have found the original extension rims for this machine. Cheers.

Attachments

D6ugan

Registered
Here's a picture of #4428. I have it at the Michigan Steam Engine & Thresher's Club show in Mason, MI each year. The show always starts on the last Friday in July - stop by for a closer look.

Clyde

Attachments

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
Mike the big Rumely is coming along nicely. She is on her wheels and I am working on the drawbar, back deck and bunkers. After that the engine will be fitted.
Here is a few pictures. First is one of my grandsons standing under the rear axel . It is 6 1/2 inches in dia. by 10 feet long and about 1500 LBS. I had to turn both ends down so needed a big lathe for this. Picture two is bull pinion being tested on the bull gear. Pinion is 13 inches in dia with 8 inch teeth. Picture 3 is the original extensions ready to attach to the wheels they left the factory with. Photo 4 is my wife and I. The machine is 12 foot 2 inches wide.
Cheers.

Attachments

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
Here are a few more pictures . First is installing the smokebox door. then the front end and the front axel mount. front wheels are 20 inches wide by 54 inches in diameter.
Cheers. George.

Attachments

Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
George,
This engine is sure coming together nicely! It'll be nice to have a 36 hp Canadian Special that's operable in the lineup of 36's!
Gary;)

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
What engine did you end up getting for this brute? You may have mentioned it earlier but I remember you were looking for parts for some time. Remarkable progress with so much missing from the start. Truly impressive.

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
Mr. Hoffman,
I'll add my thanks for sharing this with us. It looks like a tremendous project and first class work being done on it.
Aloha,
RM

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
Frank , All the advertising I did for an engine in the 90 s was to no avail . Some of you will recall me offering to trade a 25 CC reeves for a 36 horse double Rumely engine. Reynolds advertised a 36 boiler and engine for sale at that time. I had looked at it earlier and it was a 30 horse. By the end of the 90 s I was getting concerned I may never find a 36 so ten years later, in a three way deal, I settled for the 30 engine and boiler . To look at the two engines , the only difference is the stroke is 12 inches on the 30 and 14 on the 36. Unless you know double Rumely s well, one can't tell the difference. I have since come to the conclusion that the best hunting ground for these 36 s is out here in the west where they ended up in mills. I have also found that all the 36 parts from the crankshaft pinion out fit the 30 engine. So it is going to have to do.

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
Here is three more pictures. Steering came from three old mill sites ,Prince George , Mile 18 on the Alaska Highway in BC and the brace from Big River in northern Saskatchewan. Photo 2 is my wife while I was trying to explain to her that it really isn't a lot of money I am spending on her new Rumely. She just doesn't seem to buy that explanation. 3 is turning a 4,800 LB wheel over for painting This stuff is so big one has to be careful not to get killed in the process.
Cheers George.

Attachments