• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

How about some Rumbling Rumelys?

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
Your probably right about not finding the exact engine, they never made that many to start with. There never were any of the big breaking engines in these parts as most of the open prairies in this state were well broken way before the advent of the big engines. Most of the surviving ones were sent up into the big timber areas for sawmill power as was yours, or stripped down for the boiler for use in the oil fields. If something does eventually turn up, it can always be changed. Mean while you can enjoy having it running. As some one recently pointed out to me "none of us are getting any younger" so enjoy it while you can.

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
Now that is a great question, how many of the 36 horse Rumelys were built? Where are all the Rumely experts in Stakland? This one is # 6036 built in 1912. The first inspection was done May 22, 1912. I was recently at WDM in Saskatoon Sask. to take photos and measurements of their 36 horse Rumely. While there I had a chance to look at their 40 Reeves parts pile. I was surprised to see that it's parts are nearly identical in size to the Rumely parts . The Reeves has a larger appearance because of the elevated cab and the extended rear water tank.
Cheers George.

30Advance

Registered
I like to see the Cross-head, Rod, and Crank in action! With all the covers, it's hard to know if you are near dead center when belting up or running a slow-race. :) Servicing is harder too, I'd imagine.

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
Well Rumely fans you better start making plans to head for Forest City Iowa to attend the 2017 Rumely Expo. The show is 4 days starting on September 14 through the 17'th. Jerred is working on having 6 or 7 -- 36-120 steamers there for the show. This will be a sight of a lifetime.
Ours will be leaving here mid August, making several stops on it's way to the Expo.
Cheers George.

Attachments

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
80 Case,
Just looking at the inspection requirements of the various stops in route. Will see how that goes. First stop is in Manyberries Alberta where it started work when new May 22 1912. From there probably Rollag next stop.
Cheers George.

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
Mr. Hoffman,
Don't go too fast through Manyberries!:uhoh::D
Hey things have changed in Manyberries. The Dakota oil boom had spilled into southeast Alberta so one can sneeze a few times when passing thru and not miss the place. I think at one time the place was down to a dozen houses. It is a nice little town now.
I like the street names, all berries like Blueberry St, Strawberry St, Loganberry St etc Neat!
Cheers

George Hoffman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2018
Jerred Ruble is planning on having 6 of the 36 horse steamers there. The Osage 36 is not operable so the plan is to have 5-36 horse machines plowing together. That will be a memorable sight to see.
Cheers George.