• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

How do you prefer to buy engines?

oldironlindy

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2016
I buy and sell a quite a few engines and I am trying to decide what is the best way to sell these engines.
What do you all prefer and why?

Private party through engine adds?
Live auctions?
Online auctions?
Private party through social media?
Private party through Magazine adds?
Private party at a swap meet?
any other preferences?

My preference is any way I can get a good deal, just curios others thoughts on the subject.

DPrice

Registered
Anyway I can find them. I live in the middle of nowhere TN, and never find local. I do like the ads here since I don't have a clue on prices.

Michael Smallridge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/21/2019
I have had some pretty bad luck with on line auctions, so my days of buying with them are over. My issue, being in Florida, is that shipping costs are so high. I think at shows are the best way for me or more local. Hope this helps.

Gene Fisher

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
11/22/2019
Just had a 250 lb engine shipped from the east coast to north Texas for $220.00 with Fastenal.

Farmer John

Registered
I preferred to buy mine from individuals... Either at our house or at swap meets not a big fan of online auctions because sometimes there are hidden problems that are not shown... many of the pages like engineer ads are a very good source it just depends on the individual that is selling and how accurate they are in their description I’ve bought several that way also and I’ve had pretty good luck most of the time with a few exceptions ...

Doug Oldenburg

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/02/2019
Live in person auctions or locally in person. I usually do pretty well at large engine consignment sales & such. Will not buy engines off ebay........other than maybe parts engines ........IFF price is right.

Brian Lynch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
I prefer finding them on their original site doing the job they were meant to do. I also like 50 or 70 yrs plus barn fresh. I like being the first one to lay hands on them after many years.

MFaris

Registered
I like private sales myself, especially when there's no competition.
I've had a lot of luck purchasing engines from guys who are collectors of quality machinery but aren't engine collectors. Usually they have really neat items but they aren't emotionally attached to the engine stuff.