How Many Case Steam Engines?

Colin

Re: How many Case steam engines?

yup i think we've all got it straitend out now. did you see my post on ym numbers? you never replied to it. not as my port and skid boilers as i thought
dad said hes seen a 110 skid boiler at clarence youngs. it never had the holes drilled in the engine bracket :confused: i dont know if ive ever seen a true port or skid boiler, id have to think for awhile.

Dan Donaldson

Just to get all you Case guys stirred up and mad. :mad:
Quantity is great but how about quality.
How well do Case (Racine Water Heater) engines stack up against other makes?
I've heard that Case engines are hard to fire. Any comments on that. :)

Dan Donaldson

Chuck Sindelar

In Memory Of

I personally will not be a part of that--Its like Chev and Ford. They both get the job done. You should start a new thread if you want to go off in a different direction
Chuck

Colin

well dan thats not much apreciated here. Most case engines fire way beter than other makes. Garr scott and reeves are 2 of the worst. and they built so many engines because they were the best engine out there. there was a big demand for them. especially in western canada.
a year or too ago at rollag i stood behind the big avery on the dyno at rollag minn. carrying 206 lbs. and when they pulled that dyno down you could literally see the guage go down. i think it went down to 170 in about 45 seconds. now that gota be a hard firing engine there :confused: :crazy: Case engeines are a pleasure too fire. i STAND there and throw the coal in. its funny how only the case haters fire on there knees :rolleyes: some case engines fire so good you gota wet the wood down first :D
ps what the heck is a racine water heater

Dan Donaldson

Sorry Chuck, I thought that since there was an deep discussion about the fine points of Case serial numbers and how the quantities of Case engines is so large it would be the perfect time to aske such a question.
The purpose of this message board is to have a place for just such a debate.
Truth is, I like all engines. But I believe that just because Case made a greater number of engines that does not make there engines better than the rest. Price, good salesmen, and well located dealerships probably had more to do with larger sales than anything. Don't get me wrong. Case made a good product but was it really much better than the other manufacturers?

Dan

troye.welch

Hi guys. I know this thread is old, but thought it would be as good of a place to start as any.

Going to buy a 11x11 case, which would make it a 75 or 80 HP unit. Problem is, the brass plate with the serial number was stolen. Is there any other place the serial number was stamped? I cleaned the area right above the firebox door and only found one number but it can’t be the serial because if it was, they didn’t make engines that big in that year. It’s an oil burner (or someone retrofitted it as such at some point) and lived in Arbuckle CA and then spent 30-ish yeats in Elk Grove. I have lots of pics up here. Any information that anyone has would be helpful. I’m also trying to do up a bill of sale, but all I really can get are dimensions. Lots of pics here. http://troyewelch.com/ksw/oil_case.html

Thanks,
Troye

Tim Colwell

Subscriber

I'm of no help but I'm glad to see this one saved there's very few oil burners left. Do you know how long ago it was stolen a friend of mine saw it about 10 years ago and took pictures.

halcon

She is about a 1906 25 horse, and it is rather unmolested, quite original Most of the engines in California where set up to burn oil. I guess coal was pretty scarce out there an oil was cheap.

Colin Farquhar

Subscriber
Looks like the oil burner was an aftermarket/field addition (maybe?) as it's different than the piping/burner arrangement I've seen for the 75's from the factory prints. From what I recall, Case had a rectangular tank up on the boiler, and there was a steam atomizing burner that would be in a steel "door" in place of the firebox door. Start on wood, then switch over. I seem to recall a conversation about a brick arch and dead plates, but I don't remember if there was refractory along the bottom of the firebox.

Either way-that's a really neat find. As Clyde said, very original and fairly unmolested. It's cool to see these still surfacing :)

troye.welch

Tim, I don’t know when the brass plate was stolen, only that it’s not there now. If you think your friend might have a picture that shows the serial number, that would be great!! I can make or have made a new plate with that information!! Since it was sitting there for 30 years at what is now a fairly highly traveled road (the whole area is being developed very quickly), it’s likely it happened at this location, but exactly when would just be conjecture. Of course, the dream would be that whoever took it would return it or it would show up on eBay or other auction. Hopefully it wasn’t taken for scrap value and melted. :-/

Clyde/halcon- what makes you say 1906 and 25 HP? I’m guessing this is what would later be called a 27/75 (25HP at the drawbar and 75HP at the flywheel)? The serial number charts don’t have HPs that were 75 or 80 that early, but maybe that was because of the way the HP was advertised, not because the engines weren’t that big. I guess nobody has any idea of where else I might find the serial number still on the engine somewhere other than the brass plate on the side of the smoke box? (Though a photo or other reliable information would be just as good for my purposes)

Colin- I too suspect that the oil burner was added. There is lots of fire brick in the firebox and the burner is atomizing- it looks like it’s pointed right at the rear tube sheet. There are grates and an ash pan in the bottom of this one, so that also suggests it was a retrofit. I’m debating/wondering if, in my restoration efforts, if I should simply restore it to the way it was- or, more of a factory-accurate setup- or, remove the oil burner completely and just have it burn wood(?). The charcoal below the grates in the ash pan tells me that they burned wood in it, if only to start it or as a pilot light. The output of the remaining injector seems plumbed into the preheater which seems unnecessary and maybe not original, And the marsh pump being plumbed differently is weird too. The weld repair on the cylinder head tells me this engine was worked hard or carelessly or both.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I will gladly absorb any and all info any of you guys have. Much appreciated!!! I’ll create a restoration page that people can follow and will give you guys proper credit and thanks. I tend to document things pretty well. I think we are going to move it some time in the next two weeks.

-Troye

Brad Kelley

Subscriber

If the number you found is stamped in the top flange radius of the back head of the boiler, under the lever shelf; that is the boiler number. Add 11,000 to that number and you will be in the ballpark of the engine number. The Case museum in Racine has some records and they may be able to match your boiler number to an engine number.
I cleaned the area right above the firebox door and only found one number but it can’t be the serial because if it was, they didn’t make engines that big in that year.

OBCASE

Hey guys,
I would really like to see any pictures of an original 25-75 Case traction engine set up as a oil burner! Also: I am looking on the boiler to engine match up list from Case if anyone has this?
Thanks,
Bruce

---------- Post added at 10:23:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14:32 AM ----------

FYI, Jay Leno`s Advance also now burns propane in California to help keep the tree huggers and politicians happy. :)
Bruce

David Fuller

To my knowledge, the boiler records retained at Racine only indicate the engine number batch that a particular boiler was used in, and not an exact match up of a specific engine number. As you stated, this does get you in the ballpark, provided you have a complete number that is legible and records exist for that number.