• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

How many Friday and Love Tractors are Truly Out There?

Cole M

Registered
I am starting this forum for anyone who owns or knows somebody who owns a Friday or Love tractor. I also need help trying to locate a serial number on a larger tractor. I will be keeping track of big Friday tractors,Friday Wiggle Hoe tractors, Love tractors, and Friday go-karts or utility vehicles. I know of 4 Wiggle Hoe's so far with owners name and location. 2 larger tractors with names and location, and none of either Love tractors or the utility vehicles. I you do know of one of these tractors please make a post or send me a private message with the serial number if possible, owner's name, and location of tractor. I have heard there were 143 Friday orchard tractors and 14 Special Heavy Duty tractors made, but I am not quite sure how to tell the difference.

Cole M

Registered
Re: How many Friday and Love tractors are truly out there?

I actually remember one Love tractor now.

Bud Tierney

Registered

On the off chance you aren't already doing so already,. you might:
(1) contact the Cockshutt-CO-OP club people---those member with CCptn engined CO-OPs sometimes know of Friday or Love models still around, and any Friday or Love owners will probably've looked into their history and may know of other versions around...
(2) if Googling Dave/David Friday and Jacob/Jabez Love (from memory; can't find my CO=OP file) doesn't bring up a lot of old threads (ytmag and here, etc) re' the CCptn engined models, some of which generated comments re' Friday and Love, you might try Googling the clone/derivative CCptn engine models sold as Custom, Lehr (Lehr Big Boy?), Jumbo/Simpsons Jumbo, Mont Ward (not the row crop), Norseman/Rockol/Regal in Canada (and probably others; again, from memory)...owners who looked up history might know of Friday and Love models....granted, both a long shot and a monumental undertaking...

Cole M

Registered

Does anyone know of where any of the following tractors went?

1. Friday Wiggle Hoe at Miller Estate Auction, it was a Beyer Auction May 5 2018, I believe it brought $600 (fair condition)

2. Friday Wiggle Hoe at Ron Goeller Collection in Defiance, Ohio May 3 2018, it was an Aumann Auction, it brought around $50 (parts tractor)

3. early Friday tractor at Waggoner Collection June 24 2017 in Fredericktown, Ohio, It brought $1900 and it was an Aumann Auction, Serial Number 340663 (restored)

4. Friday tractor at Ron Goeller Collection in Defiance, Ohio May 3 2018, an Aumann Auction, Serial Number 78949, it brought $7,035 (restored)

5. 2 Love tractors at the Ron Goeller Collection in Defiance, Ohio May 3 2018, an Aumann Auction, one brought $4,305 (restored) it was Serial Number AX91??, the other brought $3,675 (decent condition) Serial Number 7501FC

6. Love tractor at Davenport, Iowa a Mecum auction November 9-11 2017, very nice original condition, I believe it brought $1400

7. Around 4 Love tractors and 1-2 Friday's from the Charles Schneider collection at Mecum auction June 4 2016, all restored, don't know any of the results

8. 1949 Love C51 tractor from Budde Collection at Aumann Auction Greenville, Illinois November 14-15th 2014, it brought $9,500 (restored)

9. Friday Orchard tractor at the Jim Erdle Collection an Aumann Auction in Canandaigua, New York September 20-22 2013, Serial Number 125495 (parts tractor)

10. Friday tractor at the Tired Iron Museum an Aumann Auction in Leicester, New York March 13-14 2013

11. Friday tractor at Polk auction in New Paris, Indiana Labor Day 2015, $2,750, Serial Number 5602

12. Love tractor at Polk auction in New Paris, Indiana Labor Day 2015, $1,700, Serial Number 42033

---------- Post added at 04:47:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45:18 PM ----------

On the off chance you aren't already doing so already,. you might:
(1) contact the Cockshutt-CO-OP club people---those member with CCptn engined CO-OPs sometimes know of Friday or Love models still around, and any Friday or Love owners will probably've looked into their history and may know of other versions around...
(2) if Googling Dave/David Friday and Jacob/Jabez Love (from memory; can't find my CO=OP file) doesn't bring up a lot of old threads (ytmag and here, etc) re' the CCptn engined models, some of which generated comments re' Friday and Love, you might try Googling the clone/derivative CCptn engine models sold as Custom, Lehr (Lehr Big Boy?), Jumbo/Simpsons Jumbo, Mont Ward (not the row crop), Norseman/Rockol/Regal in Canada (and probably others; again, from memory)...owners who looked up history might know of Friday and Love models....granted, both a long shot and a monumental undertaking...
Thank you very much!

Cole M

Registered

A couple more.

1. Friday Utility Vehicle at Polk Auction Company in New Paris, Indiana I believe Labor day sale of 2017, brought $400 (decent)

2. Friday tractor at Polk Auction Company in New paris, Indiana Labor Day 2014, brought $1,700 (painted with stars)

BMyrkle

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/13/2020

There is a Friday tractor at our farm. One of the orchard models.

It is running, but I can't remember the serial # or whether it even has a tag. I will take a look at it tomorrow and let you know what I find out. Then you can add it to your list.

Aside from being very cool-looking, these tractors were (as is well-known) made from truck components for on-road use, and it's pretty fun to get one out on a gravel road and raise some dust.

My dad and granddad both knew Dave Friday, and were customers. I think there were two Friday doodlebugs used on the farm in the 1950s, which were eventually replaced with a John Deere M (still around) and a John Deere 1010 (long gone). The Friday we have now was bought much later, just as a collector piece.

BMyrkle

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/13/2020

Kinda disappointing. Two serial number tags on the hood of our Friday, but neither of them has a number stamped on it.

I don't have any reason to think these are replacement number plates, but if they are original, they weren't used for some reason.

Maybe another time I can try to find an engine number or some other potential identifier.

Cole M

Registered

Kinda disappointing. Two serial number tags on the hood of our Friday, but neither of them has a number stamped on it.

I don't have any reason to think these are replacement number plates, but if they are original, they weren't used for some reason.

Maybe another time I can try to find an engine number or some other potential identifier.
Thank you for checking anyway, and thank you for the whereabouts of your Friday.

Dan Baalman

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/26/2017

Saw a Friday tractor at the Bird City Kansas show last weekend.

David Wilson

Registered

I have a orchard model with pto.But the name on mine iis Wilson, thats the reason I bought it,The tractor came from near where they were built,I was told a guy named wilson worked for love or friday built some of the last ones???????? Dave

---------- Post added at 12:32:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20:52 PM ----------

I have a orchard model with a pto.The reason I bought it is because the name on it is WILSON It came from near the area where they were built,I was told wilson worked for love or friday, and that he built some of the last ones,during some co hard times????????Dave

mag473

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/10/2018

I have an orchard Friday tractor, serial # 048 36, frame stamped. Located in southeastern Minnesota.

Dan Baalman

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/26/2017

Cole I dont know the owner, it ia in one of the buildings on the show grounds. Its pretty big, Fordson sized at least.

Cole M

Registered

Cole I dont know the owner, it ia in one of the buildings on the show grounds. Its pretty big, Fordson sized at least.
Dan,
I am curious what the name of the county in the Kansas?

Dan Baalman

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/26/2017

Cheyanne extreme north west part of state

Bud Tierney

Registered

Dave Wilson s comment above re' his Wilson tractor rang a bell, so looked for, and found, ny old CO-OP file...
At the time, I was chasing derivatives of the Duplex/CO-OP Chrysler Cptn engined tractors, and found somewhere (source not noted) that a few models had been produced by individuals named Clausen and Wilson, each putting his own name on the tractors they produced...
There's nothing else in my notes, but I believe the impression at the time was that they worked closely together if not partners, nor do I know if they were contemporaries of Love or Friday who may've collaborated with them...
I made no real effort at the time to verify such production or the accuracy of the reference; nice to know it had a basis in fact...
Some years ago I emailed with someone in Nevada who had a Chrysler tractor;-he sent a pic of the badge, all lost in a computer meltdown...
I believe we assumed that it was one of the Canadian models, a few badged Chrysler and sold thru Canadian Chrysler dealers because of the CCptn mechanical components...
OOPS---that was CLOSSEN, not Clausen...
There were also a few models reportedly built by an Amos Ostenberg/Osterberg? in Selma, KS?? badged OMC; again, no direct connection to Love or Friday in my notes

Last edited:

Cole M

Registered

Dave Wilson s comment above re' his Wilson tractor rang a bell, so looked for, and found, ny old CO-OP file...
At the time, I was chasing derivatives of the Duplex/CO-OP Chrysler Cptn engined tractors, and found somewhere (source not noted) that a few models had been produced by individuals named Clausen and Wilson, each putting his own name on the tractors they produced...
There's nothing else in my notes, but I believe the impression at the time was that they worked closely together if not partners, nor do I know if they were contemporaries of Love or Friday who may've collaborated with them...
I made no real effort at the time to verify such production or the accuracy of the reference; nice to know it had a basis in fact...
Some years ago I emailed with someone in Nevada who had a Chrysler tractor;-he sent a pic of the badge, all lost in a computer meltdown...
I believe we assumed that it was one of the Canadian models, a few badged Chrysler and sold thru Canadian Chrysler dealers because of the CCptn mechanical components...
OOPS---that was CLOSSEN, not Clausen...
There were also a few models reportedly built by an Amos Ostenberg/Osterberg? in Selma, KS?? badged OMC; again, no direct connection to Love or Friday in my notes
You are correct Bud, the guys two names were Jack Closson ad Jerry Wilson who was a good friend of Dave Friday's. I do recall seeing a Chrysler tractor before just not one restored. You are also correct about Amos Ostenberg who made the OMC tractors. I am also kind of keeping track of those just because they interest me and I am keeping track of almost any other lesser known classic except some that I know are already being registered by a club or group, so if you know f any. But, I am most interested in Friday and Loves. Here is a link that mentions the Closson Wilson tractors.

https://www.gasenginemagazine.com/tractors/friday-tractor

Dan Baalman

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/26/2017

Cole the one in Bird City is a complete running tractor

Glenn Heim

Registered

Cole Are you mostly interested I the six cylinder Chrysler powered Love & Fridays or also the four cylinder Ford powered tractors? What about Tructors? Those were Love's first tractors.