• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

How many Friday and Love Tractors are Truly Out There?

Cole M

Registered
Re: How many Friday and Love tractors are truly out there?

Cole Are you mostly interested I the six cylinder Chrysler powered Love & Fridays or also the four cylinder Ford powered tractors? What about Tructors? Those were Love's first tractors.
Glenn, I am interested in any Love or Friday's, and I am interested in Tructors which were made from 1933-36. Do you know of any?

Glenn Heim

Registered
Re: How many Friday and Love tractors are truly out there?

Cole Yes! several. Is there a way to contact you? I tried thru smokstak but I must be doing something wrong. I'm not good with modern tech! Glenn

bob3417

Registered
Cole, I purchased the one with the better looking tires on it from the Polk auction. I believe it is a Love. Everything points towards it anyways. There were no tags anywhere on it but on the right front frame rail the numbers 37 O 144 were stamped. Maybe someone can confirm if this would be the serial number or not. Didn't seem like a steel manufacturer number. It has a Ford 6 cylinder in it. Took a few hours to get the brakes apart to roll it off the trailer.
Also at our local show in South Haven Michigan, there were 2 friday tractors and a Love. All restored.

Bud Tierney

Registered
So, how about the two-speed rears??
Someone (or onre's) reportedly put in two speed rears in he CCptn engined models that would do 65 MPH or so...have mentions in my notes, but that was before I realized I'd better note sources...

Glenn Heim

Registered
Both of those tractors at the Polk sale were Loves. You have good eyes Bob! I could not see the serial number. Yours is indeed a 1937. Your tractor was converted to a six cyl but would originally have had a late four cyl ford "B" industrial engine. The other tractor still had the original engine with the optional pulley for rear pto, though the tractor did not look like that option was ever installed. A model "B" car engine will fit in your tractor as they are only slightly different than the Industrial engines sold by Ford after use in cars stopped in 1934. An earlier model A ford engine could be adapted with some work and would look good in your tractor but would not be original. Glenn

Cole M

Registered
So, how about the two-speed rears??
Someone (or onre's) reportedly put in two speed rears in he CCptn engined models that would do 65 MPH or so...have mentions in my notes, but that was before I realized I'd better note sources...
The bigger Fridays did use a 2 speed rear end and a 5 speed transmission for high speed.

Cole M

Registered
There is a restored Friday Power/ Wiggle Hoe at an auction this Saturday the 29th. It has front and rear cultivators, and the planter attachment. I will put a link of the auction later today. It is owned by Ron Goeller in Defiance, Ohio, near the Indiana-Ohio line.

Cole M

Registered
If any of you get Antique Power there is a guy in the classifieds that says he has a Friday. He is located in Michigan. If I find out more about it I will notify you.

Cole M

Registered

David Michigan

Registered
Anybody have any idea how to tell a Friday and Closson-Wilson apart?
Clossen had a short drive shaft with a slip joint. The Friday was connected with only a double universal joint. The nut was left off the rear of the transmission and the spline shaft functioned as slip joint. After a few miles the the trans would slip out of gear.

David Michigan

Registered
I am starting this forum for anyone who owns or knows somebody who owns a Friday or Love tractor. I also need help trying to locate a serial number on a larger tractor. I will be keeping track of big Friday tractors,Friday Wiggle Hoe tractors, Love tractors, and Friday go-karts or utility vehicles. I know of 4 Wiggle Hoe's so far with owners name and location. 2 larger tractors with names and location, and none of either Love tractors or the utility vehicles. I you do know of one of these tractors please make a post or send me a private message with the serial number if possible, owner's name, and location of tractor. I have heard there were 143 Friday orchard tractors and 14 Special Heavy Duty tractors made, but I am not quite sure how to tell the difference.
Model O48 tractors generally had the IND 5-6 Chrysler engines with the Timken two speed rear axle. The so called Special Heavy Duty models came with the Rockwell-Standard axle with just one speed, but reduction bogies beyond the center differential. At least 2 of the big tractors came with the IND 5-6 engine the rest came the big 265 or the Canadian 251 cubic inch Chrysler. I can personally claim sight to all fourteen of those units. I also believe that I can identify the original owner/families of 13. My brother and I hold two of the big ones and two little ones. One of those was turned into a fork lift. Also have two highly modified I beam frame Loves. The newest one carries Serial # 6002. Yes that is not a misprint. Second tractor 1960. See also my remarks to Mr. Welty on you tube Friday Tractor Healy Farms.