• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

How not to haul a Dozer

Allan Severson

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/11/2019
I saw this yesterday parked alongside highway 14 near Claremont, Minnesota. There wasn’t a chain in sight and I assume the dozer moved forward giving him enough tongue weight to bend the trailer hitch down and buckle the rear fenders on the pickup. I’ve never seen a conversion for a 5th wheel trailer like this.

Attachments

grub54891

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/08/2010
Re: How to not haul a dozer

That's not good. Saw one several years ago, right in town here. The guy turned out from a stop sign, and the thing slid right off the side and was laying in the other lane on it's side. No chains either. When that heavy stuff wants to move, there is no stopping it.

Turbo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019

Idiots like that are the reason we have a DOT!!:bonk:

Big Bird

Registered
Last Subscription Date
02/16/2018

There is a chain on the rear of the trailer trailing up the deck towards the Dozer, but it's not very thick or tight, I can't see a binder anywhere....
the damage to the rear of the pickup truck looks to be from a previous accident. Plenty of rust on the corner of the bumper where it was originally hit
as for the trailer conversion......:bonk:

b7100

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

I pulled a dozer around for 20 years. Dozer + trailer = 8+ tons. A pickup like that maybe 3 tons more or less. Just those numbers alone add up to enough trouble. Brakes especially on the trailer must be top notch. That much mass moving down the road behind a pickup truck requires an experienced driver. The inertia will push you all over the place. I have been in a situation going up an icy hill and not making it. You lock up the brakes and say a prayer as you slide backwards into whatever is there. An older truck or trailer can have major structural issues due to corrosion. A 10 year old trailer in some of the northern climates can have some major damage. This setup might be OK if you were moving across the road and be very careful.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019

too much weight for a pickup, that dozer is a 650 weight at least 10 tons probably closer to 11 tons. this would have been a load for a single axle dump truck. wouldnt have a clue how much the trailer weighs but it looks heavy. looks to me like the truck frame gave out where the hitch bolts up.

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017

Sucks to be the driver of that truck!:eek: At least he got it off the roadway. Steel on steel is a no-no, once you get it moving, the mass will simply keep going in the direction it started in. You might even pull the trailer out from under it, if you have enough power. Stopping is even worse. Most times the brakes are better than the acceleration, so the load will shift forward. Looks like this isthe case here. OOPS!:mad:

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018

Idiots like that are the reason we have a DOT!!:bonk:
Yea, this is 1 time I wouldn't feel to sorry for the guy if Dot was there writing him up.It takes a dumb ass to do this.

Duey C

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/08/2019

How could he steer that thing?
Oh yeah, a guy walking along by each fender. "Guys, we gotta make a left here."
Larry pulls on the fender a little and Rick pushes a little from the other side.
Hehehe. Perhaps he's already been stopped and is looking for a guy with a jack and a dump truck. :O

Junkologist

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019

That is one hell of a lot of weight to be pulling with a two inch receiver hitch on a SRW pickup truck!! A 650 Deere is no small dozer, plus it has a full cab and wide tracks, since it is an LGP model. That hitch conversion on the trailer looks ridiculous, but at the same time, it looks like it may be professionally built. Never have seen such a thing!

Alan Svanes

Registered

I always say building codes are for dumb asses that don't want to do things correctly. Same thing would apply here.
Had a trucker haul a big Avery. He said that he ties machinery down so that if the trailer tips on its side the the machinery will not move. That is another level of tie down.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019

somebody has made that trailer conversion so that trailer can be pulled with a dump truck, if you blow up the picture you can tell it is a pintle hitch. at first i thought it was made kind of like a frameless dump trailer so he could tilt the deck to load and unload, but there is no way for it to pivot. i have hauled a dozer that size with a international dump truck with air brakes on truck and trailer, dt466 and a six speed. it was all it wanted, started to overheat near the top of the mtn.

slip knot

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/27/2019

Its doable. He just needs to move the dozer back over the trailer axles a bit more. hes got way to much tongue weight. Balance the load , good trailer brakes and go slow. it will work. BTDT.:D

Peter Holmander

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019

Machine weighs 18,500 lbs. Trailer will hold it no problem. Like many have said, not enough truck. If the machine was positioned on the trailer to put a little tongue weight on the truck, I'd probably use it to move the machine to my next door neighbors house, but go out on a main road or highway, forget it. My state DOT Truck Squad would have a field day with that rig. No way that truck is rated towing wise for the weight of that dozer and trailer combined.

Norm W

Registered

He is so far beyond the GVWR of that truck, it isn't even in view. He will have enough tickets to shuffle and deal. That is like hooking a borax wagon to a donkey. The donkey would have enough sense to sit down however.

Wayne 440

Registered

He is so far beyond the GVWR of that truck, it isn't even in view...
The guy has probably seen too many pickup truck commercials, where they hook a boat trailer up and use odd camera angles to make it look like pulling an ocean liner up a 30% grade.