• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

How not to haul a Dozer

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
Re: How to not haul a dozer

When we first started hauling tractors and the like to the local shows, it was very common to see situations like that. Over the years, things have improved greatly. We now have vastly improved trailers available and more people have decent trucks to pull them, in general. Of course the DOT has also stepped up scrutiny of small rigs as well, now which one had the most impact on the change? I tend to think most of us have the good sense to improve our lot voluntarily when the better equipment became avillable.

EmersonFan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/08/2020

Yeah, I don't like that gooseneck conversion one bit.
I didn't look too closely at the truck, but guess it's a 3/4 ton. The trailer might actually be capable of hauling the 18,000 (Approx.) load but there is a reason they make goosenecks.
IF you are hauling this tractor for, let's say, to use as a lawnmower in your yard, or because it's going to be parked in your front yard as a Christmas ornament, you MIGHT be Not Regulated by the DOT.
But, if there are ANY monetary considerations, this guy should probably fall under the DOT Regulations. If that is a one-ton pickup, the whole thing might require a CDL. (More than 26,000 total).
If not, it depends on the state whether there is state or federal oversight regarding the proper operation.
For my money, I DO NOT like it when the load outweighs the power unit by this much.
I LOVE old tractors - this is my hobby - but by day I'm a DOT consultant. I always try to keep the two separate but occasionally a question comes up and I cannot hold myself back. :O:O

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/10/2020

Here's a similar example of how not to tow a bus... :rolleyes:

I think there is some kind of machismo thing that goes on with pickups. A pickup is NOT a TRUCK, and should not be sent to do a TRUCK'S work! It's a PICKUP truck. Great for getting groceries, or a small load here or there. But NOT for the heavy hauling!

Attachments

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019

If that bus is a pusher, look where most of the weight is!:yikes: I think ford & dodge started this for example my dumptruck weighs in @ over 10k empty has air brakes and has no trouble hauling around a 9 ton load. ford put this same engine in their 3/4 ton pickup and used their own ECU to achieve even more power! Ok it will pull it but can it stop it? is it heavy enough to anchor the load? NO! same with dodge and their cummins, same motor in a snow plow with a heavy blade on the front, and a salt spreader in the rear loaded to the hilt.

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/10/2020
The guy actually made it. Must have been one of those days when you don't see any cops. :rolleyes:

That bus is mid-engined. Around 3k lbs engine ~half way between the axles, behind the door that's next to the radiator. Plus another ~1k for the trans behind that. Note how the truck is squatting lol. Whole empty bus is ~11 ton. Plus the trailer lol. Notice how those trailer tires are squished. :crazy:

Keith

pegasuspinto

Registered
There is some real screwy going on in that bus pull. How the heck did he get the ramps folded up? You can't pull the bus that far forward....

slip knot

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/27/2019
The bus tow wouldn't have an issue in Texas. I see oilfield companies hauling 4wheel drive backhoes all over the state using that same setup. They go thru the scale houses all the time. Don't know how they get by but they don't seem to be getting shut down?