• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

How This Web Site Began #2

Harry

Administrator
Staff member
Continued from: How This Web Site Began #1

SMOKESTAK SWITCHES TO NEW SOFTWARE

The purchase and first installation date for this new software was September 17, 2019. That time interval from then to now, was spent learning the software and making it tick. It has been a wild ride for me to get used to the changes myself and I'm sure not as wild of a change for you guys. The improvements are fantastic! My trials and tribulations in learning are represented in none less than 25 support tickets on the XenForo Web Site in England, therefore, no phone calls to get support and the time offset is five hours as they are on G.M.T.

They also operate a fine user forum where many seasoned developers and webmasters hang out for Q&A and to distribute their Add-On program scripts and hacks. One such user from California has helped me here to complete this installation. There are also a few employees that join in on the Q&A forum.

XenForo is a small company that was started up ten years ago by former employees of vBulletin, the maker of our previous software. The vBulletin company had been sold to another company that continued to produce newer versions, one of which was good and the last of which was terrible. In that interim, that company filed a lawsuit against Xenforo for theft of copyrighted material, but XenForo won the case and moved on forward. Many others have since joined them and the XenForo brand has flourished!

Once their product was proven and since they had created a newer and updated version (ours), it was a natural for me to acquire the product and incorporate it into SmokStak to replace the former software version. Especially so since the vBulletin company had declared our previous version as "end-of-life" and no further support or improvements would be provided.

That former vBulletin version was acquired here in 2004 to replace our very first bulletin board that was written in Perl which had very few followers. You can see our traffic from that time converted into the newer vBulletin format and now XenForo on our SmokStak Archives Board dating from June 29, 1999. The first post of which was made in June 29 ,1999 Pouring a bearing sleeve and it never did get an answer.

There were complaints in 2004 when I switched to the vBulletin software just the same as with XenForo now. We will get through this change as well and then it might last for another 20 years if we do.

Last edited:

Harry

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve been looking in all afternoon on my iPhone X and it works great even on a small screen. I can also tip the phone to vertical or horizontal for size control, and I can edit my posts on the phone!

Joe Romas

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
Harry. Thanks for all your hard work. I've been a lurker for many years but recently my Grandson, 16, presented me with a new task. He volunteers at the Ohio Railway Museum and "found" a long forgotten around 1930, Kalamazoo Speeder. With your great site I found plans for a buzz box ignition that this speeder originally had and operating instructions for another brand of speeder of that time. This past weekend my work was rewarded as he demonstrated the speeder on facebook. Without Smoke Stack this might not have ever happened.

A proud grandpa.
Joe

Last edited:

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
Continued from: How This Web Site Began #1

That former vBulletin version was acquired here in 2004 to replace our very first bulletin board that was written in Perl which had very few followers. You can see our traffic from that time converted into the newer vBulletin format and now XenForo on our SmokStak Archives Board dating from June 29, 1999. The first post of which was made in June 29 ,1999 Pouring a bearing sleeve and it never did get an answer.

There were complaints in 2004 when I switched to the vBulletin software just the same as with XenForo now. We will get through this change as well and then it might last for another 20 years if we do.
Good to see the Old Posts are still accessible. . .

Kind of Sad that George Vaughan (Guest) Never got an answer to his bearing question :cry:. . . Being a "Guest" I wonder how often he checked back hoping for an answer ?

SteamCheng

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/23/2019
Good to see the Old Posts are still accessible. . .

Kind of Sad that George Vaughan (Guest) Never got an answer to his bearing question :cry:. . . Being a "Guest" I wonder how often he checked back hoping for an answer ?
I'll have to ask him sometime. I see him at some of the local shows here in Virginia, but haven't spoken with him in some time!

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
I'll have to ask him sometime. I see him at some of the local shows here in Virginia, but haven't spoken with him in some time!
Hate to say it, but it might be best not to even bring it up with him since there were No Answers for him anyway.

Would just be reopening old wounds for him if he even remembers his password to log in with after all this time.