• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

How To Crank Wisconsin

Lonnie Grissom

Registered
i HAVE A WISCONSIN ENGINE AND PUMP ASSEMBLY MADE TOGATHER MOUNTED ON TWO WHEELS ALSO CANBE LIFTED BY HOIST CRANE ETC. i THINK IT IS MODEL AES HARD TO READ ALSO HAS X 3 1/4 ON SAME LINE AS MODEL NO. HAS A CAST IRON FLYWHEEL WITH EXT STICKING OUT FROM SHROUD THIS EXT HAS A HOLE APPX 1 1/4 DIA ALSO HAS PIN RECESSED ABOUT 1 IN BACK IN HOLE . QUESTION AM I MISSING SOMETHING THAT CRANK FITS ON. I DONT THINK THAT IT WOULD BE SAFE TO MAKE CRANK WITH SLOT IN IT FIT THE HOLE. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP LONNIE

Denny B

Registered
Wisconsin cranks come up from time to time on Ebay. You are correct about not making your own with slots cut in it as it could cause you serious personal injury. They were designed in such a way that they would 'beak free' when the engine started. Denny

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
The wisconson ceank fits fairly loosely on the crank, and has 4 curved lugs on it. 2 of these lugs engage the pin at a time. whan the engine fires, the curves throw off the crank, so it cannot get stuck on the crank.:cool: DO NOT try to make one, the engine accelerates too quickly for a home made to dis-engage properly.:bonk:
Andrew:D

Dustin D Ehli

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/20/2019
Lonnie I have about 4 or 5 wisconsin cranks from old v4 wisconsins on swathers, not sure if they are the same but you may want to check old junkyards, this is where i got mine just strolling junkyards looking at swather toolboxes for the cranks.
I regularaly use one because i have a gokart with a vh4d wisconsin on it that i have to crank start. Just look out because when they backfire nasty things happen:bonk: